Lark lighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark lighters

We just received these in the mail today. We did not realize when we bought these that they were intended to house a musical lighter (music box). In researching we found that most of these were advertising pieces. (The Pepsi one even played the Pepsi theme). Does anyone know what tune these should play? Also, can anyone tell us where to get replacement works for these (or have a couple just lying around somewhere?) Thanks, Steve
    Attached Files
    sigpic

I can't really help with the Lark lighters, I've alway's thought they were a nice collection item.

Reminds me of a lighter that I have in the shape of a slot machine that you pull the handle it spins the reels and makes some noise.
    Press down on the "coin slot" and presto....Fire.
    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

The Lark musical lighter was first offered with the introduction of the 1960 models. They were available to dealers in multiples of six for $19.50 plus .50c postage (increased to $21.55 in 1960). They played a melody called “A New Dimension,” which I am assuming was an original composition. Sheet music accompanied each order of six. I have at least two that are new. While one worked a few years ago I just tested it and found it is not now functioning. Sorry I d not have the sheet music. If you are interested in a copy of the multi page promotional flier I can copy for $4.00.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks Richard, I found a collector today that has several sets of works with different tunes. I will see if he has that one. I had seen them on E-bay before and maybe even in person but had no idea they were musical. I THINK I have a modern lighter that will fit the case but it is not musical and I would rather stay as correct as I possibly can. Thanks, Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          The Lark musical lighter was first offered with the introduction of the 1960 models. They were available to dealers in multiples of six for $19.50 plus .50c postage (increased to $21.55 in 1960). They played a melody called “A New Dimension,” which I am assuming was an original composition. Sheet music accompanied each order of six. I have at least two that are new. While one worked a few years ago I just tested it and found it is not now functioning. Sorry I d not have the sheet music. If you are interested in a copy of the multi page promotional flier I can copy for $4.00.
          Dick,
          I have an excellent working example given to me by my Studebaker boss back in the sixties. This lighter has "Made in Japan on the base". I have been to Japan a number of times from the seventies to the nineties & the musical tune sounds distinctly Japanese. I would like a copy of the flier so give me a price with postage & I will send you some greenbacks. Jim.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
            Dick,
            I have an excellent working example given to me by my Studebaker boss back in the sixties. This lighter has "Made in Japan on the base". I have been to Japan a number of times from the seventies to the nineties & the musical tune sounds distinctly Japanese. I would like a copy of the flier so give me a price with postage & I will send you some greenbacks. Jim.
            The $4.00 I quoted earlier should handle it.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

How did these work? We are so used to all kinds of gadgets playing tunes these days (like greeting cards), but obviously they couldn't do it that way in 1960! Are they made like small music boxes, transistorized or...?

If someone has the Studebaker one that still plays it would be really cool if they could post an MP3 of the tune!
              Jeff DeWitt
              http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Were all of the lighters blue or were other colors available? I have only seen the blue "Lark" ones.

Mark

Comment

Mark,
                  All of these musical lighters I have seen over the years with both collectors & on Ebay have been the same blue color. I have not seen any other color.
                  Jim.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

I sold one in working condition in the box to Steve Grant--aka the mad doodler last year at the Studebaker York Swap Meet. Don't know if he still has it or not. The mechanism was wind up. I had bought it about 10 years ago from Ernie Loga at the South Bend Swap meet. Gordon P.S. you can find Steve on facebook.

Comment

Note that there are two different threads on this topic. Will post pics on both....for the record. Some of my lighters attached below. Have them displayed in different cases therefore the multiple images.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	lighters1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1712401Click image for larger version

Name:	lighters2.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1712402Click image for larger version

Name:	lighters3.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB