PDA

View Full Version : New experience for us around here- earthquake!

07-16-2010, 12:23 PM
A few minutes after 5 am this morning there was a rumble and the house vibrated for a few seconds. Turned out there was a 3.8 earthquake, epicenter Germantown, MD, about 50 miles from us. It was felt in Maryland, DC, northern Virginia and eastern West Virginia, maybe elsewhere too. I know, for a Californian this is a joke, but it's the biggest we have recorded.

skyway
07-16-2010, 12:35 PM
If enough of California fell into the sea would West Virginia gain a western shore?

Gunslinger
07-16-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm maybe twenty miles from the epicenter and slept right through it. I guess Braddock Mountain is tougher than an earthquake!

jclary
07-16-2010, 02:23 PM
If enough of California fell into the sea would West Virginia gain a western shore?

If they did, they would probably name it the Robert Byrd Memorial Beach!

Skip Lackie
07-16-2010, 03:54 PM
We're about the same distance from the epicenter as Gunslinger. But we're early risers on weekdays, so we were already up at 5:04 AM and got to enjoy the whole experience. A small earthquake that causes no damage is a nice change from the usual morning routine.

But I guess some people weren't amused. The local all-news radio station reported the earthquake story within five minutes, and reported that the local police stations were being deluged with panicky phone calls.

JBOYLE
07-16-2010, 04:33 PM
One way to get Congress moving.

But I would worry about some of the old buildings back there...like the Capitol dome.
I'm sure they've spent a zillion bucks on it, but an earthquake near any building that old can't be a good thing.

okc63avanti
07-16-2010, 10:02 PM
A few minutes after 5 am this morning there was a rumble and the house vibrated for a few seconds. Turned out there was a 3.8 earthquake, epicenter Germantown, MD, about 50 miles from us. It was felt in Maryland, DC, northern Virginia and eastern West Virginia, maybe elsewhere too. I know, for a Californian this is a joke, but it's the biggest we have recorded.

Are you sure about the epicenter being in Germantown, MD versus Arnold, MD? I believe its possible the rumble and house vibrating might have been JDP cranking up some beast of an old R series Avanti that he is currently working on.

52 Ragtop
07-16-2010, 10:05 PM
As we said in California, "In case of an earthquake, put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye" LOL The first one is always the scary one, after that, it's "just" the ground shakin'

Jim

aenthal
07-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Look at it this way, you pay $40+ a day to experience the same degree of rumbling and shaking at an amusement park, and you have to stand in lines to do it.
Today Mother Nature gave you a ride on her cosmic carousel for free.
No lines. No need to find a parking space, and no tickets.
Sounds like a winner to me.

Skip Lackie
07-17-2010, 06:51 AM
One way to get Congress moving.

Your elected Congressional representatives are safe -- they've been out of town for the Independence Day holiday since July 1. They get two weeks off for July 4th -- don't you?

DEEPNHOCK
07-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Or.....
That pile of stuff under the back deck at JP's place 'shifted':eek:

<snip>
I believe its possible the rumble and house vibrating might have been JDP cranking up some beast of an old R series Avanti that he is currently working on.

cbonner757
07-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Was it Bush's Fault?

31Streetrod
07-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Watch it there cbonner757, a question like that can get you chastised for going political with this thread. ;)