PDA

View Full Version : 91 year old Rachel Veitch and her 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente

okc63avanti
07-15-2010, 10:46 PM
How do you get your car to go 562,000 miles? Just ask Rachel Veitch, a 91-year-old great-great-grandmother who is still driving a 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente her husband purchased for her brand new.

WWLP News in Milwaukee interviewed Veitch, who showed them all the service reports and her lifetime guarantees on shocks, batteries and mufflers. She bought a lifetime guarantee on a battery from JC Penney, and so she's gotten 18 free batteries from the company.

Although it's a fabulous story, it also illustrates part of why Mercury is dying. The brand lost its individuality over the years, and many of its fans were older folks. Mercury is expected to end production in November.

Still, Vietch's Comet is pretty cool. She claims she drove it once at 120 mph "just for a mile", and had to have cruise control installed because she kept getting speeding tickets.

Here are a couple of videos:
http://news.yahoo.com/video/milwakee-wisn-18667753/woman-shows-off-car-nearly-half-a-century-old-20858533

http://growingbolder.com/media/technology/vehicles/rachel-veitch-international-575909.html#content_tabs

fatboylust
07-15-2010, 10:56 PM
She could teach all of us a thing or two about car ownership and maintenance.

JunkYarDog
07-16-2010, 01:40 AM
I owned a 1965 Mercury Comet Caliente with a 289 . I drove it just the same as I did any of my cars and I blew the pistons out of two motors. It was the only car I ever owned I had that type of bad luck with. I then went back to Chevy and never blow up a motor again in all the years since.

I figured it out a long time ago. "AND I QUOTE" The good cars are the ones that stay together and the bad ones are the ones that brake and it don't matter what kind of make they are or year.

studegary
07-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I wonder how many engines, transmissions, etc. it has had.

Sort of like the old story about Abe's axe - - only the handle and the head have been replaced.

There is write up in the current OCW about a car that has been in the family since new. The car has had its drivetrain, body, chassis, etc. changed over the years. I don't know what is left of the original car in order to consider it a family heirloom.

DEEPNHOCK
07-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Bob Palma posted about her last year (and about 10,000 miles) ago...:rolleyes:.
Good to see her still drivin'!

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?23019-Wish-she-d-bought-a-1964-Daytona-Sedan-instead...&highlight=caliente

mbstude
07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I wonder how many engines, transmissions, etc. it has had.

Sort of like the old story about Abe's axe - - only the handle and the head have been replaced.

There is write up in the current OCW about a car that has been in the family since new. The car has had its drivetrain, body, chassis, etc. changed over the years. I don't know what is left of the original car in order to consider it a family heirloom.

One of the videos stated that the car still had its original engine block. Didn't say how many rebuilds it's had, though.

I seem to remember that Doc Cade's '51 Champion had well over 500,000 miles on it before they fully restored the car 8-10 years ago or so.

JunkYarDog
07-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Back in the 80's when I owned my wrecking yard I had a guy come in and sell me his 65 Mustang he was bragging about having bought it new and how in all the years he owned it he never once changed the oil. I checked the engine and sure enough the engine was stuck from the oil pump giving out. It had a 289 in it and what I could tell the original ford oil filter for that vintage still on the engine. It made me think how long it would of lasted if it only had servicing done to it every 20,000 miles or so.

DEEPNHOCK
08-11-2010, 11:29 PM
She is on Jay Leno tonight (8/12/2010)...With her car...
Jeff:cool:

PS: 18 free JC Penny Lifetime Batteries:p