Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 or 65??

what do you make of these #'s

Serial plate says '64. Needs a little "Lark Shine". Don't quite like the Persian carpet. No reserve and only one day left. If I weren't 3000 miles away I would pounce on it.
    Sal could polish it and JP could replace the carpet. Flip City.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

65 running gear in a 64 is my vote.

Gordon

Comment

I agree with Gordon. The serial tag is spot welded in place, so is likely original to the body. The engine is deffinately a Chevy unit.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Might even be original paint. The burgundy and reds of the era just couldn't keep a shine and chalked up in short order if left exposed to the sun. This car could have spent many years in an enclosed garage. Looks worth the money for someone wanting a cruise-in sedan. could be a fun ride for not much money.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Someone has had some fun swapping Studebaker parts on this Canadian '64 whatever! This so called "Commander" has the Daytona/Cruiser stainless mouldings around the door windows, the optional (or Cruiser) rear wheelwell stone guards, the Daytona crossed flags on the "C" pillar (the Canadian version) a '65 or '66 Engine and is missing the Commander drip rail mouldings!

I am quite sure this is a Daytona 64V-Y8, the seats and door panels are even correct for a Daytona, the only thing that is wrong is the decklid mouldings, body side mouldings and Commander nameplates.

I know you remember Dick, Lancaster is in the Antelope Valley, in the high desert and is very dry, hence no rust! It just needs the interior freshened up, hot climate interiors don't last long. Should be a good car.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-15-2010, 08:56 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It also appears to have flanged rear axles, which would make the driveline 65 or 66.

Comment

Originally posted by 65cruiser View Post
                It also appears to have flanged rear axles, which would make the driveline 65 or 66.
                PROTOTYPE!!!
                Last edited by Welcome; 07-16-2010, 04:44 AM.

Comment

a very late 1964????

Comment

Definitely a '65 Chevy engine. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it can't be passed off as a '64. Yes, those rugs have to go.
                    Rog
                    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                    Smithtown,NY
                    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I contacted a friend in Rosamond, CA to check the body #. If it checks out right we'll put a bid in on it.

Yes Rich I remember well where Lancaster CA is. Thats where Frost and French moved befor selling out to Studebaker West.

studedick from the lower Ozarks
                      Last edited by Dick Clemens; 07-16-2010, 06:43 PM. Reason: misspell

Comment

Freind checked car firewall #64-Y8 1559.Owner has no history of car. Appears to be an sheriffs impound.
                        It is a no rust car, but much rougher then it appeared. I will pass on it. Was looking forward to visiting my freind and the adventure driving it to AR.

studedick frm the lower Ozarks

Comment

i thought canadian cars used chevy engines in 64???
                          John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

No they did not. Except for the Daytonas with the crossed flags and no V8, (because a 6 was available) the solid color bone/off-white steering wheel, the "second series" '64's are very hard to tell from South Bend built cars, very much the same.
                            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-18-2010, 05:00 PM.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I like the lenoleum flooring for carpeting...
                              Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                              Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                              Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X