Wanna help out Tom and Ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna help out Tom and Ray?

I'm a big fan of Tom and Ray Magliozzi, hosts of the NPR radio program "Car Talk". As such, I get a semi-weekly email from them called "Time Kill Weekly". The most recent issue included a plea for car photos (see quoted text below).

"We need a favor. We need a photo.

Not of you, sorry. We need a photo of your car.

Here's the story. When someone looks up a particular car, we want a picture of that car to come up. But we're too cheap to buy a picture of every car there is. Then we got this great idea: We'll get pictures of real cars. From the people who own them. Willing to help us?

Here's how it works.

Just snap a photo or two of your car -- any resolution will do, thank you. Email it directly to us at "carpix@cartalk.com." We'll need you to include the year, make and model of your car.

Got a friend or relative who might want to kill a few minutes having their car memorialized for all eternity in our collection? Great! Forward this email along, if you could. And thanks, from all of us at Car Talk Plaza."

I recognize that Tom and Ray aren't universally loved in the old car community. Most of the rest of my own family won't even listen to their show, for that matter. Whether you like them or not, however, this IS an opportunity to display South Bend's (...and Hamilton's, and Los Angeles') finest creations to a national audience, many of whom don't know much about Studebakers. Therefore, I encourage you to send Tom and Ray a picture or two of your Studebaker. Hopefully, we can send them enough pictures to represent every year and model of Studebaker. I would recommend against sending pictures of other people's cars, however, unless you have their permission.
    As stated above, send them to carpix@cartalk.com I already contributed pictures of a fine example of a 1950 Champion 4 door sedan, but I doubt most other models are represented yet, so have at it.
    Chris, you should send them pix of "the Turtle"! That will leave some "lackey" at Car Talk Plaza scratching his or her head!
    Last edited by Lothar; 07-13-2010, 05:34 AM. Reason: added italics
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

I sent mine--'54 Land Cruiser, '88 Fiero GT and '66 Corvair Monza Sport Sedan. That oughta have 'em scratchin' their heads for a while. ("What's this guy tryin' to prove?")

John

Comment

I like Tom and Ray!
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well... I've listened on numerous occasions to these gentlemen mechanics. One thing I know well about them is that they wouldn't appreciate pictures of vehicles in the condition mine are. They have expressed on many-a programme their low opinion of 'clunkers' like mine. So... If you will forgive me, I'll forgo the pleasure.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

[/QUOTE]Chris, you should send them pix of "the Turtle"! That will leave some "lackey" at Car Talk Plaza scratching his or her head![/QUOTE]

HAHA!!! Yeah, that would really confuse them! Ok, will do.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

I sent a picture of my 1962 GT Hawk
            Peter Bishop

Comment

Well, I just sent them a couple pictures of my '40 and the Turtle.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

I got the message last week and sent them a picture of my M

Comment

I just sent four photos. One is of a '63 Cruiser I no longer have but, neither does any one else. Many of you have probably benefited from its parts.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

They have expressed on many-a programme their low opinion of 'clunkers' like mine.
                    Ron Smith

Ron
                    I think you misunderstand them! Tom especially revels in the fact that he drives nothing but old heaps (e.g. 1963 Dodge Dart convertible, old Fiat, old MG TD, "the sleek Black Beauty" which as I recall was an AMC Ambasssador that lacked substantial portions of its floor pans, etc.). Be proud of that faded paint!
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

I listen to "Car Talk" just about every Saturday on NPR. I don't get the impression that they dislike old cars as such. They do stress safety and reliability, but not a dislike of older vehicles. Remember that most of the folks that call in are non-car people who are just trying to fix their cars. These are people who are looking for reliable, fairly economical, transportation.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I sent in pictures of my car and my truck. So, is there a web site we can check out to see all these pictures?
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Their website is cartalk.com I just ran a search on it, but couldn't find a library of car photos. I think that it is a new feature that they're developing, so it may be a few weeks before its ready.
                          John
                          1950 Champion
                          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                          Holdrege NE

Comment

Since it's NPR, send them thousands of Corvair photos....
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                            X