Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny man....Are we looking at the same car???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny man....Are we looking at the same car???

Went to check out a semi-local e-Bay Studebaker today.

The man actually told some one that the floors were good in answer to their question! If you like sheets of fiberglass I guess that would be fine (though it is pulling free from the floor pans!) Steve got on the ground and noted that both the exhaust system and the gas tank are now on the ground.Here is a link to the pics I took. The first two pages (43 pics in all) are of this car
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Before attempting to make the man an offer, Steve asked what he was looking to get from the old car. $4300. We both had a good laugh when we got back in our truck to head home! Hope some one else can have a good chuckle as well! Tracy (shewolf)
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Ouch.. That poor car. But hey, it has the rare Studebaker brick seat spacer!

Makes my $2K OBO '58 sedan seem like a screamin' deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
      Went to check out a semi-local e-Bay Studebaker today.

The man actually told some one that the floors were good in answer to their question! If you like sheets of fiberglass I guess that would be fine (though it is pulling free from the floor pans!) Steve got on the ground and noted that both the exhaust system and the gas tank are now on the ground.Here is a link to the pics I took. The first two pages (43 pics in all) are of this car
      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Before attempting to make the man an offer, Steve asked what he was looking to get from the old car. $4300. We both had a good laugh when we got back in our truck to head home! Hope some one else can have a good chuckle as well! Tracy (shewolf)
      Wolfie, send me a e-mail with what I owe you for your gas and trouble for checking out the Daytona.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

That WAS a pretty rare and well equipped car. It is quite rare to find a President Broadmoor with OVERDRIVE!

I would buy those seats (mainly for the cushions), the door panels & arm rests, the Push Button Radio and more if I were close because we have a Broadmoor that needs them. So there's about $200.00 or so, all he needs is someone to pay $4100.00 for the 289 Engine with Overdrive and the hulk for scrap and he's home free!

I did see the right rear door belt moulding that Biggs needs for his '58 Provincial, but judging by the pits on most of the chrome, it's questionable if it's re-plate-able.

I did get the body number for StudeDave57's '57 and '58 Wagon Registry, I think. It was hard to read even after enlarging it, I got 57H-P6 1066 does anyone agree? And I missed the Serial Number if anyone saw that, please let me know.

Too bad though because this one's ultimate fate is pretty obvious, when no one will pay $200.00 for this hulk, he may find he can get more for scrap.

I'm sorry, but I know I would not be able to show as much restraint as Steve, I'd be busting up all over the place when he mentioned $4300.00 !

Thanks for showing us all the good pics Tracy & Steve. It could have been a Woodsmoke Gray and White car with a Red and White Interior, it's hard for me to tell in this condition and with re-upholstery and all.
        That was exactly the combo our family owned since 1964, '57 Parkview 2 Dr. Commander wagon had when new, Dave still owns that car.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just a mini-rant but Tracy posted this up as I am at work. I just read his answers to the E-bay questions. This just goes to show the kind of people you can wind up dealing with on E-Bay. The seller is a car dealer presumably as he showed up in a later impala with magnetic dealer plates and commented when I spoke to him on the phone that he was preparing to list 10 more cars. That would lead one to believe he knew something of cars in general anyway. He states in one answer that the floors are solid, you can look at the pics and judge for yourself but a couple of good stomps would take any pan out of the car. He claims that all of the glass is good and admittedly I would have used most of it but every glass in the car has issues ranging from bubbling/seperation to broken/cracked. I will give him the intact glass as good but the broken ones? He stated yesterday in an answer that the cyclops was in good shape but asked me today what the cyclops was refering to. To me all of this just makes him a better dressed theif. He obviously knew some of the cars problems and just flat lied about them. He stated in person that the car ran and would drive, just needed brakes and it may do it but with what I see he lied about there is no way I would believe him now. There was no trim in or around the car to support his claim that all of the chrome was there, said in our phone conversation that the rest of the seat was there but in really bad shape. Even said it may be recoverable but couldnt produce it when we showed up. Some peoples kids. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE Makes my $2K OBO '58 sedan seem like a screamin' deal. [/QUOTE]

It does Matt. I was actually taking care of some other stuff and checked out the 2 Studes (wagon and the red 64 Daytona listed by another seller FOREVER) while I was there anyway. We may argue with you about the commander soon. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Well Steve, everybody likes to be right. When I met you and Tracy you seemed like decent folks to me, and you keep proving it. Thanks for your efforts! Although the price tag means people are probably safe from this one for now since it wouldn't be worth anywhere near $4300 even if it was as represented, you probably have at the minimum saved somebody from a wild goose chase- again.

Your efforts for the SDC members are much appreciated. If you ever need some eyes up here (not likely, I know!<G>) don't hesitate to ask.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Welp, if someone wants to take a real shot at making an offer on the car, I would definitely be interested in the OD trans and related pieces, ASSuming that it is a T-85. I know that a President Classic would have had same, not sure about a Broadmoor? Parts book is not entirely clear on the issue, as it lists both a T-86 and T-85 for a 57H without differentiating which ones had which (and, I suppose, if you had the car on the lift in your dealership, you'd know...)

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The sad thing is despite the floor rust and other issues this car could be saved. My rant was mostly about the fact that the seller is simply answering questions with what he thinks a buyer wants to hear with no consideration for a correct or accurate answer. I had planned to make a serious offer on the car ( I hadnt even read his replies before I drove down) and had already guessed from the pics it would need some rust repair. And while it was rougher than I expected from our phone conversation and his pics I knew it was a project car. The $4300 price tag kinda shocked me but I really hadnt planned on beating the old car down then or now. Facts are facts though and I would be HOT if I were to have bought this car sight unseen based on his replies and had it shipped to me somewhere. I know opinions can differ dramatically on what one person considers as solid versus anothers opinion but rust is rust and missing floor metal is not solid, broken glass is broken and not good, and how do you tell someone the cyclops is good when you have no idea what the cyclops even is? Am I really being unreasonable in my belief that he is intentionally misrepresenting the car? Steve
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                    /Cut/ My rant was mostly about the fact that the seller is simply answering questions with what he thinks a buyer wants to hear with no consideration for a correct or accurate answer./Cut/Am I really being unreasonable in my belief that he is intentionally misrepresenting the car? Steve
                    No certainly not Steve, I think you know what this SIX '57 Sedan/Wagon family member thinks about it per my post above.

I have seen a LOT of Studebakers since I joined SDC in 1968, owned over a Hundred Studes, plus the 35 or 40 I have now, so I've seen the best and the worst and everything in between! So this guy IS being unreasonable, in both his lack of honesty AND his price.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X