Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the Road with Grace - Day 3 (another long one - sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Road with Grace - Day 3 (another long one - sorry)

Make your point if you have one, pleaseagain Hey, wait a minute; I thought you were heading to Milwaukee.Finally
    Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
    Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

No apologies for length needed. Love living vicariously through your posts. Talk about a great feature story for TW!
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Thanks Bob. When we get back home I'll send the complete story to Art and Anne.
      Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
      Grantville, PA

Comment

Pertronix.
        I know it is kind of sacrilege to talk about putting something so modern in a restored vintage car, but for long road trips, it is a good thing.
        I had to take a different vintage car (from 1959, though a 1960 model) cross country in 2007. The car had to cross the desert states (eastern CA, NV, UT) then the Rockies, arrive in Dearborn MI, then head to PA, down the eastern coast to Louisville Kentucky, and back across the country (in 105 degree heat) to Los Angeles from there.
        For that trip, my mechanic put in the Pertronix (which fits in so nobody can see it or that it exists).
        Plans were to return the points at the end of that month long road trip.
        Well, so far I haven't had it done. Been on a 6002 mile summer road trip in that car in 2009. Pertronix still needs zero attention.

Sure, you can bring spare points with you on all the road trips, and adjust them as needed. It is not like they cost an arm and a leg.
        I know lots of people who have spare points in their trunk.
        But the Pertronix just makes road trips so much easier, and it can be taken back out for authenticity any day you feel like it.

Comment

Hi aenthal,

All you say is true about Pertronix, but it doesn't make the car interior any cooler or the fuel system any less prone to vapor lock. Years ago, I had an Allison pointless electronic ignition system in our early 1970s drivers because with the amount of driving my wife and I did, changing points so often got to be old. Believe me, once Grace's judging cycle is complete this fall when we try for an AACA Preservation Award, there will be a few modern additions made to her. But even with the windows all rolled up and the A/C on full blast, Grace will never be as quiet or comfortable as my wife's Lexus. (Sometimes she even lets me drive it.)
          Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
          Grantville, PA

Comment

Never as quiet as a Lexus, yes.
            But tell me about the last time you had your Lexus parked and somebody came up and excitedly asked if they could take a picture of it.
            Vintage cars make friends wherever you drive.
            A Lexus just makes the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by aenthal View Post
              Vintage cars make friends wherever you drive.
              A Lexus just makes the trip.
              That would look good in stone.

Comment

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I spoke to Alan about 2 hours ago, they are on their eway to Noblesville! I think we'll end up downtown on the square tonight for the "Saturday Night Cruise in"

Jim
                  "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                  their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                  X