PDA

View Full Version : So much for the new stuff being better than a Studey

63larkcustom
07-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I took my 06 Impreza with 50k miles on it for an oil change and to have an oil smell checked. The oil smell ended up being a seeping head gasket! I've had the car 6 months and drove less than 2000 miles. I was informed its not bad enough to replace and it needed to be "watched". The car has never run warm and rpms since I've owned it have never been over 3000. This was a "top pick" for reliability and safety. As the car has two heads (flat 4) the other will have to be done at the same time. Hopefully this will all happen before the end of the powertrain waranty. I'm strongly thinking it might be a good time to make this one go away and back to the Studebaker. Aside from the bad 62 hardtop, I've not had major headaches out of them.

comatus
07-09-2010, 05:04 PM
But...but...they're made in Indiana!

Lord Beaulieu had a Talbot Lago that boiled over whenever he drove in traffic. Being Lord Beaulieu, he happened to bump into Tony Lago on the Continent, and told him of his problem. Lago had never had a complaint before. "Even on straight glycol, it boils over whenever I go through town." Lago affected a shocked expression and emoted, "Through town! Well! If you insist upon abusing the vehicle..."

IIRC, Sues-baru have solid lifters, which may be adjusted from time to time. What's chances a previous operator had those covers off the wrong way, and played around in there snugging things up and such, enough to unbalance the head torque settings? If there's Permatex/silicone on the valve cover seal, I'd almost bet on that. No dog in the fight, it's just that I've never heard of this before, and you know those owners aren't like Benz and Jag snoots, boasting at the Club over what the old bus cost them this month.

stude62
07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Good luck with Subaru of America - my expirience is taht when things go wrong, they don't act.

In 1985 my mother won a sum of money in the Ohio lottery (she split a jackpot with six other winners, so it wasn't "a lot") and I got to chose a new car for myself. I picked a brand new Subaru GL wagon. $9,999.00. I started having problems with it from the time I drove it off the lot until I sold the piece of junk in 1991. Everyone said "I've never heard of a Subaru having a problem like this" whenever it showed up in the service bay. Worse yet, Subaru of America cancelled the warrenty eleven months into it. Problems included:

1) Rust through on the rear gate of the wagon in 24 months (bad rubber gasket seal from the factory)
2) Bad carburator (1 year)
3) Fuel filter (six months) failure
4) Scored heads
5) Failed air conditioner (3 years)
6) Engine ice up (every winter)
7) CV joint issues - on going
8) Clutch problems.
9) Stalling
10) hub caps (RF) would fly off on right hand turns (they were a new screw on design, and every 85 Subaru would lose that wheel cover whenever you would make a right hand turn faster than 25mph) and we all got new wheel covers to avoid a lawsuit.

When the Honda dealer said that he would give me $2,000 for the car (60,000 miles) in 1991, I was overjoyed.

I know that no company builds every car perfect, but I had an honest to God lemon.

DEEPNHOCK
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
I agree....
You can't take the CASO out of a Studebaker...
But you can take the CASO out on a Subaru...
(or whatever that is:rolleyes:)

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/f5e0d73f-7f6a-42f1-ad28-7ff358c92ce9.jpg

63larkcustom
07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Thankfully my car looks good..but geesh.. a head gasket at 52k.. this is what the car looks like. http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m190/63larkcustom/idylwildtrip062.jpg

aenthal
07-09-2010, 10:52 PM
There are some lemons in every tree.
You know why it seems that they made them better in the old days, don't you?
Because the old lemons went to the junkyard early and only the decent ones survived for us to find.

If it were my Imprezza, I would have taken it to my ace indie mechanic (not a dealership mechanic) before I even put one mile on it, and told him to fix whatever he saw--basic blank check.
That seems to me to be the only way to get a used car to be reliable: buy it with the assumption it has problems, and fix them before you start with it.
But look at the bright side, a head gasket isn't the worst repair you could need.
I would not "watch it." I would get it fixed. Not "bad enough to need to be fixed" is not good enough for me.
Above all, I would NOT take it to the guy who thinks it doesn't need fixing!

63larkcustom
07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm kinda stuck in a rock and a hard place on that as the car is still under the factory powertrain waranty.

JDP
07-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Bought a 99 Mercedes 280C with 120K miles two years ago for 7K, now has 156K miles. Other then oil changes and wiper blades, and a headlight bulb, have not had any issues. The dealer says it should go another 100K or more, and I'll replace it with another one. Try 250,000 miles in any 60's car.

bezhawk
07-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Had 365,000 on a 62 Daytona ........what are you trying to say ?
If that 60's car had todays fuel injection I bet 200,000 would be a breeze

Milaca
07-10-2010, 09:42 AM
I'll defend late model American automobiles as my 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP has 162,xxx miles on it and it looks and runs great. It's a supercharged 3800 V6 with automatic & OD and it achieved an average of 30 mpg on my trip to and from South Bend last May while driving 70+ mph on the interstate (burning 89 octane gasoline). I bought it with 136,xxx miles off of Craigslist and have only had to do minor repairs and maintainence.

Bob Andrews
07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Of course, Brent. My 97 Buick Park Ave is now 268K, still runs perfect, even under my abuse. My 99 AWD Caravan was retired last Fall at 252K due to severe rust. Never failed, ran like a champ on the last day, when it delivered mail to 584 boxes, same as it had every other workday for the last 5 years. Drove where it's parked. 95 Town Car, given away a few years back with 312K, ran for almost another year. 2000 Continental sold for parts when trans. went at 214K. 2002 Ford Conversion van, just turned 171K, replaced 95 Dodge Conversion van, sold at 208K 2 years ago, both still running perfectly. I could go on and on.

I drive lots of miles every year, and am hard on my vehicles. I do great without ever having to drive a non-American brand name. Not allowed in my driveway. Ever.

EDITED TO ADD: None of the above ever had the accelerator stick- not even once;)

bob40
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
"Not allowed in my driveway. Ever."
Narrows down my places to visit when the wife and I make a East cost trip in the future.

07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Good luck with Subaru of America - my expirience is taht when things go wrong, they don't act.

In 1985 my mother won a sum of money in the Ohio lottery (she split a jackpot with six other winners, so it wasn't "a lot") and I got to chose a new car for myself. I picked a brand new Subaru GL wagon. $9,999.00. I started having problems with it from the time I drove it off the lot until I sold the piece of junk in 1991. Everyone said "I've never heard of a Subaru having a problem like this" whenever it showed up in the service bay. Worse yet, Subaru of America cancelled the warrenty eleven months into it. Problems included:

1) Rust through on the rear gate of the wagon in 24 months (bad rubber gasket seal from the factory)
2) Bad carburator (1 year)
3) Fuel filter (six months) failure
4) Scored heads
5) Failed air conditioner (3 years)
6) Engine ice up (every winter)
7) CV joint issues - on going
8) Clutch problems.
9) Stalling
10) hub caps (RF) would fly off on right hand turns (they were a new screw on design, and every 85 Subaru would lose that wheel cover whenever you would make a right hand turn faster than 25mph) and we all got new wheel covers to avoid a lawsuit.

When the Honda dealer said that he would give me $2,000 for the car (60,000 miles) in 1991, I was overjoyed.

I know that no company builds every car perfect, but I had an honest to God lemon.
I had four Subarus- '73, '76', '80 and '85. I had fairly minor problems with all of them, but nothing like your experience. My '85 was a turbo sedan five-speed, dual range four wheel drive (last year before they went to all wheel drive across the board). It was fuel injected and had hydraulic lifters (first year for hydraulic lifters and overhead cam). Subaru replaced the block at about 2,000 miles because I had a light ticking sound. They found a scuffed piston. They figured someone over sped the engine when it was brand new (like driving off the ship). Other than that the only problem was with the air suspension. Unless I left it in the high setting it would sink over night and I would have to wait a few minutes in the morning for it to pump up. I could start out without waiting, but the ride would be very hard. The Subaru diagnostics tool could never find anything wrong. Also, I had snap-in wheel covers- no screw ons.

Bob Andrews
07-10-2010, 04:42 PM
"Not allowed in my driveway. Ever."
Narrows down my places to visit when the wife and I make a East cost trip in the future.

LOL! I should have made it clear- not allowed under my ownership. Ever.

Your Peugeot is welcome here anytime (as long as you take it with you when you leave). <G>

07-10-2010, 04:47 PM
LOL! I should have made it clear- not allowed under my ownership. Ever.

Your Peugeot is welcome here anytime (as long as you take it with you when you leave). <G>
Bob,
I have an Acura MDX and it isn't nearly as great as Honda would like you to think. My next car will be American. I have owned MoPars, but I'm kind of disappointed in them- may have to go GM or Ford. And, if I pull in to your driveway, it should be in my '95 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10- GREAT truck- 488 cubes, 300 hp, 450 ft pounds, 14 mpg. No contemporary GM or Ford gas engine truck could match it.

Bob Andrews
07-10-2010, 05:02 PM
ANY time, Paul!http://serve.mysmiley.net/party/party0012.gif You can bring that Acura if you like. Saves on wood for the bonfirehttp://serve.mysmiley.net/evilgrin/evilgrin.gif

bob40
07-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I figured that was the case but couldnt resist.
Peugeot??? Nah,not one of those.Ewwwwwwwwww.
One of my neighbors is selling a 1996 Mercedes Benz SL500 and it isnt badly priced.Seems he has a gambling problem which has led to financial problems leading to legal problems due to his dipping into a corporate account.
His worries my gain is how I see it.Probably buy it to flip it but I am wondering how it would do as a winter car(he always stores it over the winter and seeing it doing donuts in the street would drive him crazy.I am a bad bad man....lol)
Another neighbor gave me(free!) a Mazda MPV van.With my wifes medical condition this one makes sense.She cannot sit for more than 2 hours so her/our travel has been limited.The owner of the Mazda thought it had a terminal timing belt failure after it quit running on the highway.I towed it home,tossed the hand held scanner on it and replaced a faulty sensor.This neighbor is never wrong so I told him it was the timing belt.
I long ago abandoned any predjudice regarding vehicles.I prefer Chrysler products but will drive anything that I can pick up for little or nothing.Bought 2 cars new('77 Chevy truck...1981 Dodge Omni 024) but since then run vehicles others have given up on.While it might not impress the neighbors it has saved me a lot of money over the years.Lower insurance,no car payments and if the repairs outweigh the value,scrap it and drag out another freebie from the back yard.My opinion is that anything 5-10 years old that costs 4-8K is a repair time bomb waiting to explode.As always opinions are like.....

07-10-2010, 07:46 PM
It was eons ago now, before the Forum and wide use of the Internet. But, back in the late 80's or early 90's, Subaru enraged the Studebaker Folk at the time with and ad campaign claiming they had "invented" a new and unique option on manual transmission cars that would hold the brakes while stopped on a hill. I can't remember if they called it Hill Holder, but it didn't matter to those who sent letters of protest into Turning Wheels. As I recall, club officials contacted Subaru and asked them to retract their claim they invented it. I don't think Subaru would even respond, or if they did, it was a lackluster blow off of some sort. I could look all this up in the TW library in the barn, but it would be quite an undertaking to sort through 31 years of TW's. Someone else may recall it.

They've leased some of their Lafayette, IN plant to Toyota (who owns 16.5% of Fuji Heavy Industries) because of underutilization. They have a small but loyal following. The only product they ever made that got my attention was the Brat, but not enough for me to buy one. My brother-in-law had a Forester and liked it. I guess, I'm almost totally ambivolent toward them. Their reaction to the club on the Hill Holder thing probably precluded me ever owning one.

Packard53
07-10-2010, 08:31 PM
From what I understand the Impreza around your year have had a problem with head gaskets which has been known about by Subra for many years. If you are dealing with a dealer then demand that new head gaskets on the car before it becomes a major problem. If that doesn't get you any place then demand to talk to a field rep face to face and be a SOB about it. The dealership is just screwing around with you. if that headgasket does go and gets anti-freeze in the engine it could screw up your engine bearings big time.

John S

Nelsen Motorsports
07-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Conclusion: If you treat any car with a decent reputation well it will run forever.

Wether it be a Ford, Chrysler, GM, Honda, T!y#$A (T!@#$A), Subaru, etc...

Some have their mishaps and factory problems, but as stated.