Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know the story on these "Special" '64 Daytona 4 Dr. Rear 1/4 Mldgs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know the story on these "Special" '64 Daytona 4 Dr. Rear 1/4 Mldgs?

From another post asking for '64 Daytona body side Mouldings, where I wrote, QUOTE:

I got Dennis (at the former Newman & Altman, prior to SASCO) to correct his part number listing that showed no stock, after he sent me the wrong 2 door Hardtop Rear 1/4 Moulding. After he did that, he found a big stash of them, that they knew nothing about, not numbered as "Mouldings" but the also available "Moulding Kit" part number that I had originally asked for. If still complete, they contained the special Aluminum rust preventative coated "sealer" type Clips to install.

Very interesting side note, for you Studebaker "Historians".
    The interesting thing about one of the "wrong" mouldings (the one for my Daytona Four door), was that it had the depression "dent' for a door hinge opening on the FRONT end of a correct length rear 1/4 Moulding just like the front fender Moulding!

That would make it for a
    prototype suicide door car like the Brooks Stevens prototypes, or a really bad mistake at the suppliers!

A neat discovery here! I found that if you revise your ORIGINAL 1st. post on the string, which always uses that weird narrow format that is difficult to read because it takes dozens of lines, PRESTO you get the good full screen width sentences like they should be!

OH WELL, it did on the first display, but lost it when going back to it again, sorry!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-08-2010, 07:29 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Interesting...

Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

That would make it for a[/COLOR] prototype suicide door car like the Brooks Stevens prototypes, or a really bad mistake at the suppliers![/B]
      I'm guessing the latter. Hence, it went into "Surplus".

Craig

Comment

I just found the Invoice dated 10/13/1999 from Newman & Altman with a note written by Denice that says Dennis has checked the blueprint and the 1360935 Left Rear Quarter Moulding for a Y8 '64 Daytona Sedan is SUPPOSED TO HAVE A BEVEL ON THE FORWARD END as the part I returned to them does!

This makes no sense to me, either the blue print was changed after production and a second batch were made incorrectly to it, or he is mistaken, since I have never seen a car with such a Moulding from the factory and there is no logical reason for it!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This makes no sense to me, either the blue print was changed after production and a second batch were made incorrectly to it, or he is mistaken, since I have never seen a car with such a Moulding from the factory and there is no logical reason for it!
          Let me offer another scenario that would be more typically "studebaker" in design:

The dies to form the quarter panel mouldings for the J and L 2-doors would have had to be longer (and more expensive). The intent may have been to make an "extender" that would have overlapped the flattened version of a 4-door moulding. This add-on piece could have then been made on the same tooling that made the smaller sections for the other panels. Far fetched? Maybe. But, remember the quarter panels on the '53-'55 2-door sedans. We're talking Studebaker here.
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

I can concur with these findings....Dennis found a whole batch of these mouldings that, if I remember better, were located in another building. He furnished me with several NOS pieces for my 64' ragtop....

Comment

Working...
            X