3/4" Wheel Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4" Wheel Cylinders

Are there replacement aluminum pistons available for the 3/4" rear wheel brake cylinders on a 63 GT Hawk or Avanti? Did any other vehicle use the same wheel cylinder?
    Allem

Allen,

I have been using the wheel cylinder kits from NAPA, they have the aluminum pistons included with the kits (or at least did about a year ago when I bought a batch of them).

I don't have the part number handy right now, but if you do need it email me.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The original pistons should be reuseable even if badly pitted as long as it stays
      true in the bore. It's the cylinder to rubber cup that makes the seal. Just being
      Captain Obvious here.

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

The Lockheed/Wagner 3/4" wheel cylinders were used on dozens of makes and millions of cars. They should be available at NAPA and any brake/clutch shop. Having said that, take your old parts just to compare with what's in the kits. Same with the master cylinders. Stude used the most generic parts.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Be careful to check the NAPA part numbers as I tried to get rebuild kits for the 3/4 in cylinders on my Avanti and their book shows the car as having a 7/8ths cylinder. I would bet the disc brake equipped Hawks and Larks will have the same problem. Bud

Comment

Bud is right. All Hawks, Larks & Avanti's with the Bendix disc brake setup had the 3/4" wheel cylinders.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Last set I bought is Wagner-Lockheed P/N F8418

Comment

I have in hand 2 kits that I bought from Napa about two years ago . They are # 127 and have the pistons in the kit. The new kit is UP 127 but don't show pistons. They are 3/4 bore. Alans number crosses to this Napa number.

Gordon

Comment

The disk brake style for the rear is unique with staggered bolts.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

If you can't find one, send the old one to me and I will machine a new one for you. Neal

Comment

Working...
                    X