Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed

Hi fellas. How do you keep the engine from turning over when torquing the crankshaft bolt?
    Jim Barker
    '70' Avanti II

Some possibilities:
    1) if a manual, put it in gear and block the wheels
    2) if an automatic, put it in park and block the wheels......but I don't know if I would do this, would be afraid the parking pawl would break
    3) pull the starter and make a tab that engages the ring gear
    4) have someone below the car with a BIG screwdriver, keeping the ring gear from rotating
    5) if the engine is still on the engine stand, put a bar perpendicular to the crank centerline, engaging the flywheel/flex plate bolts and dog it off against the engine stand

I'm sure several people will come up with more ideas, these are just a few right off the top of my head.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The two most suggested ways are either lock the flywheel with a prybar against the ring gear or stuff one cylinder (on TDC) with rope. I prefer the prybar method personally since I worry about the rope getting in places it shouldnt. Either is effective though. Good Luck, Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Paul. I put the manual tranny in gear and torque her right on down. Pretty simple when you know what your doing. Thanks again.
        Jim Barker
        '70' Avanti II

Comment

Working...
        X