T-90 trans identification and parts differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-90 trans identification and parts differences

Now that the Champ is running good again, I'm enjoying driving it, but it's underwhelming acceleration and lack of umph on the hills has me geared up to finally install the 185 OHV sitting over there on the engine stand (yeah, yeah, yeah, how many years have I been threatening this? ;-) )

Aside from still needing to dial indicate the bellhousing, ( next question, next post) I know that 1st gear has a chipped tooth. I also do not know what year truck the transmission came from, except that it had a 6 volt solenoid. I see in the parts manuals there are different part numbers for some of the bearings, the cluster gear, synchros, etc, but are they interchangable and only reflect changes? How do I determine what year trans I have? I'd like to order parts before I start to get the job done quicker, if possible.
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

I guess everyone is as unsure as I am about internal parts compatibility between different years of T-90s, so can anyone suggest someone not on the forum to ask?

Thanks
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

Ron,

Just saw this post. You should be able to tell from the manuf date stamp on the top flange of the transmission what the year of manufacture is. The parts manuals provide a deciphering of the number in the tranny section.

As far as interchange, there are a number of ways to do this. A late SASCO price book (the old Studebaker SASCO, not Dennis' SASCO) will list supercessions for part numbers (will look something like this: 668344 USE 1548745). The old N&A Master Price List from the '90s also is a good source for supercessions. Also, an older Hollander manual is a great source of interchange.

I can help you with all three of these methods. If you will send me the specific part numbers you are interested in, I can look in the SASCO price book and old N&A Master Price List for supercessions. I can also scan the applicable pages from the Hollander, let me know if you want these......it would be later in the week before I caould make the scans.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Thanks Paul,

I'll see if I can get a mirror up there and read the numbers, as I've not pulled it yet, and won't untill I am realy, really certain I finally have enough time to do the job.

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        Ron,

Just saw this post. You should be able to tell from the manuf date stamp on the top flange of the transmission what the year of manufacture is. The parts manuals provide a deciphering of the number in the tranny section.

As far as interchange, there are a number of ways to do this. A late SASCO price book (the old Studebaker SASCO, not Dennis' SASCO) will list supercessions for part numbers (will look something like this: 668344 USE 1548745). The old N&A Master Price List from the '90s also is a good source for supercessions. Also, an older Hollander manual is a great source of interchange.

I can help you with all three of these methods. If you will send me the specific part numbers you are interested in, I can look in the SASCO price book and old N&A Master Price List for supercessions. I can also scan the applicable pages from the Hollander, let me know if you want these......it would be later in the week before I caould make the scans.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
        X