Electric choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric choke

I have a 259 with an NOS 2bbl carb with a manual choke in a 63 Champ. This is a daily driver/work truck-local car show trophy winner. It's a pretty decent driver with an AT. But it's a pain to start even on hot mornings. Would the knowledgeable SDC members please advise me on the possibility of converting to an electric choke. Thanks.

See the threads on electric fuel pumps. This may be more of your problem than the choke.

Comment

There are a couple things that I discovered that make starting a little easier. First realize that the engine needs to turn over a couple times to pump fuel up to the carb to replace what has leaked back or evaporated. Second, have the choke adjusted properly so that it closes fully when the engine is cold and the throttle opened slightly. Third, if you want to pump the gas to use the accelerator pump in the carb to give it a few shots, do this only when the engine is not turning over. If you do it with the engine turning the choke will open more and the mixture won't be rich enough to start the engine.
      Hope this helps.
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

I can't believe your Truck can't be started with a Manual choke, you have full control over how it starts. If the fuel & electrical systems are in good shape you should have no trouble starting it by the second spin. But you do have to set the choke almost closed and pump the gas one or two times BEFORE cranking just as Tim said.

Remove the air cleaner and set the choke to a 1/16th to 1/8 in. open, and note the position of the choke handle to get it there, and you will know how to start the engine.

It is very rare for a Stude. to have a manual choke, they were only used on heavy trucks mostly with Governors, all late model 1/2 and 3/4 Ton Champs and Transtars and ALL Cars have Automatic Chokes, but Manual gives you more control over when it turns off, IF you remember!

Most Manual choke Stromberg Carbs. found now-days are for Chrysler products, and usually do not have the fast idle cams that Studes. have.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
          I have a 259 with an NOS 2bbl carb with a manual choke in a 63 Champ. This is a daily driver/work truck-local car show trophy winner. It's a pretty decent driver with an AT. But it's a pain to start even on hot mornings. Would the knowledgeable SDC members please advise me on the possibility of converting to an electric choke. Thanks.
          I am wondering if you mean an original automatic choke, rather than a true "manual choke" (set with a pull cable). Either one should work okay as long as they are set and used properly.
          My understanding of an electric choke is that a resistance heater is used to heat the bimetallic spring, rather than exhaust gas. This will have absolutely no bearing on the ability to start.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X