bumper bracker orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bumper bracker orientation

I can't tell from the few pics in the shop manual.
    The bumper brackets on the front of a 52...they come off the frame, then do they hump "up" or "down"? The bumper bolts up either way, so I'm just not sure.

Hi Dan,

I don't know how the front bumpers mount on a 52 but I believe the rear is similar to a 51. Are you sure you're not looking at the brackets for the rear bumper? The 51 rear brackets are 2 short pieces each side and bump up. The front brackets are 1 long piece each side and very long one that loops between the frame horns. All 3 are level. I don't know if this helps but that's my 2 cents worth.

Jim
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
      >>>The bumper brackets on the front of a 52...they come off the frame, then do they hump "up" or "down"?<<<
      Last edited by Welcome; 07-03-2010, 05:14 PM.

Comment

These are the front brackets for sure. The idiot that works in my shop (me) took them apart just a few short weeks ago. Precisely long enough time to forget which way they are supposed to go. Once the grill in, it will probably become apparent.

Comment

Dan,

I took photos of everything as I took it apart because I knew I would forget how things went together. Digital cameras are your friend.

Jim
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Bumper Brackets 1952

I hope these two pictures will help. I wish I could say the grill was removed for your viewing convenience, but the it is in the trunk broken and pitted.
            Attached Files

Comment

Dip down it is! Many thanks David.
              Now - lets roll that baby off the trailer and dive in! What's first on the list?
              I tore mine down until every nut and bolt was off. But unless you have 13 years to waste it's not a resto route I would recommend.

Comment

You're welcome Dan, I am learning a lot from this site and really enjoy the history and experience here. I read your year by year chronicles after acquiring my HT, and it scares me just a little. Right now I am leaning toward restoring it to a the level of a survivor (unrestored survivor). My plan: Fix the four rust problems, get the right engine back in, get it running/driving, then fix the paint, interior and trim. Then take a deep breath and see what's next. I am not looking to show for points just want the experience of driving in the past, kind of like a time machine.

Comment

Working...
                X