Barn find 1922 Studebaker, need advice ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn find 1922 Studebaker, need advice ASAP

I have a lead on this car, no idea of what model it is or value. Sitting for 40 years, opinions as what to offer ?

JDP Maryland

Very nice Touring car! If it runs, $10,000 is always a good place to start.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well, John, my wife and I just paid the annual fee to "adopt" the 1920 Studebaker Light Six in the museum, the first one built, and they sent us a large, professional photograph of the car. I just compared the two and in every respect, it looks identical to the one you have located. There is only one modest difference; the small cowl lights at the lower corners of the windshield of the subject car are not on the museum car.

Are you sure the subject car is a 1922 model, or are you just going by the license plate? BP
      Last edited by BobPalma; 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM.
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wouldn't make an offer. I would ask what the owner wants. If the price was one I could afford and thought was reasonable for me...I would buy it immediately. I would only buy it if it were obviously a "good deal." To me a "good deal" is always when it is worth more than I paid for it. I only get concerned about real value when I want to sell something.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Better make an offer soon....

Goes on the auction block tomorrow night!

Comment

This car was mentioned on the forum the other day. The pictures in the first post above are the same as those on the auction site.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              I wouldn't make an offer. I would ask what the owner wants. If the price was one I could afford and thought was reasonable for me...I would buy it immediately. I would only buy it if it were obviously a "good deal." To me a "good deal" is always when it is worth more than I paid for it. I only get concerned about real value when I want to sell something.
              It's a auction and I just called to find out if there was a reserve on the car and found there was. I asked if it was 10K or so, and he said "close", so I'll probably not waste a trip, but leave my info if it does not make it. For me, not having ran or moved for many years, it's not worth the risk. Very early cars values are very soft.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

That's not the first time they have had it up for auction...maybe they'll start coming down in price!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeSchack View Post
                  That's not the first time they have had it up for auction...maybe they'll start coming down in price!

Yep, if he wants 10K, it'll take someone that does not have a handle on value, or the price of making it a driver.i.e. say you need a new carb, or even a water pump.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

I hope the engine block is not cracked. It can very easily happen. Drivers side.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA

Comment

Working...
                    X