Narrow Box on an 8E Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrow Box on an 8E Champ

[?]Just wondering if anyone has ever installed a long narrow (P1) bed (for a 122" wheelbase) on a '63/64 Champ. I know Studebaker quit offering the narrow bed after '62 and I am unsure if they changed the frame on the '63's that would make installing a narrow bed a "custom" job. Thanks.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Actually the P1 box was an option till the end. Many of the Champs sold locally were so equipped including a 8E12 that was sold with P1 box, 5 spd OD , airconditioning etc by local dealer in Corydon IN

So the answer is yes. The factory did.

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28
    4E2
    59 Lark
    etc

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looking at buying a later model Champ that may need some box work, so wanted to know my options.

Mark
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mark57

Thanks for the info. Looking at buying a later model Champ that may need some box work, so wanted to know my options.

Mark
        [)]Mark, the hard part is going to be finding a decent P1 bed to use on any '63 or '64 Champ you might find. Don't rule out the earlier Champs. You might luck out and find one of them with the P1 bed already in place. The suspended pedals of the '63's and '64's are much ballyhooed, but the clutch linkage associated with the suspended pedals is acutally a bit problematic and not very strong. Of course, it can be remedied. The difference in the front suspension on the '63's and '64's was the best improvement. However, I find the earlier Champs to be very nearly as enjoyable. Good luck in your search. Champs are GREAT pickups![)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Thanks for the advice Steve... If I had really deep pockets I would look at the '62 that Lionel Stone has advertised in TW.[B)] Just a little beyond my bank account,unfortunately.[:0]

Mark
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Thanks Hotwheels... not sure I need another box as yet... negotiating on a Champ 3/4 T that from the photos "looks" like it may need some serious TLC on the P2 bed. Originally just checking to see if the P1 bed would work so I would know what options I have if I buy the truck and if it cannot be repaired. Thanks again all,

Mark
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
            X