Transmission fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission fluid

What transmission fluid should I use in my 1956 Sky Hawk with Flight-OMatic?
    peter lee

Type "A" is reccommended although I think type "F" is an acceptable substitute. The modern Mercon fluids should also work. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

This subject has been around the block a few times and I think the consensus is that, since Flight-O-Matic is basically a Ford 3-speed automatic with a different valve body, type F is the usual replacement type. However, many people use Mercon. As the Straw Man in "The Wizard of Oz" said, (not referring to anything sexual, I'm sure) "Some go both ways."

John

Comment

I just got 2 cases of Valvoline type "F" ATF two days ago. The Oil supply WAREHOUSE that the Carquest Parts Store Chain uses, said the F was NLA and ordered what his book called FA (later Ford) and Valvoline part Number VV341, and guess what it is? Exactly what I originally wanted...Type "F", go figure! It was not cheap, but none is anymore, $4.49 a Quart.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-30-2010, 01:04 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I use AMSOIL Synthetic Tranny Fluid in all of my other vehicles and when I changed oil in my Flight-O-Matick recently I could not find the Ford Type F or FA and had the auto parts store order it for me. I also contacted AMZOIL and got this reply from them "AMSOIL ART Supershift Racing transmission fluid can be used in place of a Ford type “F” fluid."

Comment

Working...
          X