Lark Vs Rambler article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Vs Rambler article

I found this an interesting "back in the day" article and thought those who are lucky enough to own them might enjoy reading the article.

Popular Science gives our readers the information and tools to improve their technology and their world. The core belief that Popular Science and our readers share: The future is going to be better, and science and technology are the driving forces that will help make it better.
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Thanks for the great article! Intestesting seeing all the ads from that time including Onan, Gravely & South Bend Lathe!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The first car I owned was a '59 Rambler Custom, very much like the one in the article. I really liked it. If it had a V8, I'm sure I would have loved the car!
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I remember that article in Popular Science. It, along with Motor Trend, were my favorite magazines back then.
        It's interesting, that in 2010, I still subscribe to both magazines.
        I hope all of you scrolled way down to "Gus Wilson and the Model Garage" story. Those stories were the first thing I read when my PopSci arrived in the mail.
        Thanks for the memories.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

If you call up the article you can get much more info. Go to the top of the page and type in a few words like say Studebaker Lark and GOOGLE BOOKS will generate a lot of magazine articles.

Try it You'll like ir

Murray

Comment

Enjoyed the article- although the first thing I did was skip to the end to see which car they preferred in the summary, which they did not do.

I scrolled down a couple pages and smiled when I saw reference to 'seven-league' boots. I had forgotten a saying from my father's day: "If seven-league boots cost a nickel, I don't have enough to buy spats for a grasshopper."

Chew on that one, youngsters! <G>

Comment

I read the complete article, and even though I like the looks of that particular Rambler much better than that Lark (still do) and even though they had their favourites ie, the OHV 6, reading in-between the lines, The Lark was a better deal for parking length v capacity, gas mileage* (held stuff like the larger, more expensive Rambler, and got mileage like the smaller and less powerful and distinctly fuglier American (with a flathead 6, although it wasn't quite mentioned), as well as the overall range of the car line.

I was bemused by the re-inventing of the 170 flathead for 1959 and the stated reasons from Studebaker for that. Really, does it make ANY sense in hindsight for dumping the 185??? Was the 185 that unstiff and problematic??

Comment

The article states that the Lark VIII has heavier gauge steel in the frame than VI frame......
                Can anyone confirm or deny this??

Thanks!
                Greg

Comment

I thought only the 53 to 54 Stude frame had a steel gauge change !! I have wondered why they used light gauge steel in the 53 launch of the Lowey Coupes. Does anyone know what triggered it other than a mis-guided cost cut??

Murray

Originally posted by dirt.boy View Post
                  The article states that the Lark VIII has heavier gauge steel in the frame than VI frame......

Thanks!
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by dirt.boy View Post

Thanks!
                    Greg
                    Confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by barnlark View Post
                      Confirmed.
                      I am assuming you are confirming there is a difference in wall thickness not confirming that the article says there is a difference

Do you know the guage of each?

Comment

dirt.boy: See your answer on a correctly titled post in the correct forum:

Last edited by StudeRich; 07-10-2010, 10:16 AM. Reason: Relocated answer to correct Forum
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The article explained that the frame gauge for the former Champion frame was increased for the V/8 when they were designing the Lark, so it's actually accurate while not being thorough in explaining the 6 versus 8 similarities and differences. Depending on which Lark body one has, the frame's gauge of steel can be different. They are not all the same. For instance, my friend's 1960 6 cylinder 2 door sedan has a much thinner gauge frame than my '60 convertible and slightly thinner than a V/8 version of that same F-body. It was not an across-the-board 6 cylinder versus V/8 frame application, however. Most body groupings (6, or 8) had the same frame gauge, except for the W & F bodied cars. Both my 6 cylinder convertible and my V/8 convertible have the same frame gauge, 11...as would that '59 hardtop shown in the article.

Comment

Wow Dave I'll never keep that straight...
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Frame Thickness

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                              Wow Dave I'll never keep that straight...
                              You WILL Bob, if you read and or print my Technical Forum Post, it is in easier to remember form.

It IS required to be a Forum member you know, to memorize the body codes though! I Did read that in the rules somewhere, right?

F = 2 dr. Sedan (post)
                              W= 4 Dr. Sedan -short wheelbase
                              Y=4 Dr. Sedan -long wheelbase
                              D=2 dr. Wagon
                              P=4 dr. Wagon
                              J=2 Dr. Hardtop (Sedan Type Body)
                              L= Convertible
                              C=2 Dr. post Coupe (sport model, wheelbase ('53-'64 =120.5)
                              K=2 Dr. Hardtop (sport model, wheelbase ('53-'64 =120.5)
                              R=Avanti

I am wondering if it was of any help to dirt.boy or anyone actually.

His problem being new, will probably be finding what post he asked the question on, because he did not realize that it is better to start a new post with a new question, because it does not relate to Lark vs Rambler at all and is difficult to search!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X