Window track (U Channel) felt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window track (U Channel) felt

This is for a '53 C Coupe. The felt in one of my drivers door window U Channels is worn badly. I see in the Stude Int Catalog there is 800504 Window U Channel listed in with the rubber parts. Can just the felt be replaced or is this an all new channel, metal and all? Mine has been modified for electric windows so I need to keep my existing metal piece. All advice is appreciated.

thanks

Pat
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Pat, window channels are thin metal backed, cloth covered, felt lined with a stainless steel bead. They are not rigid steel and just slide into the upper and rear door frame.

These are not used in the window lift channel that attaches to the regulator.
    There is glass setting rubber in those, I would think that is the part that connects to your "Power" units.

I hope I am understanding you correctly, but I have to use "stock Stude. language" since that is all I know! Sorry... Lol!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I would think your electric modification would be attached to the "lift channel" as Rich indicated. The "U" channel, rigid on the forward guide and flexible over the top and rear, should be replaceable. Or, you could carefully glue thin strips of new felt in place. I would opt for the total replacement. It's not a tiny process but well worth the final result.
      I bought my channels in bulk from JC Whitless. That adds a bit of fabrication to the mix but saved some bucks. While the glass is out, also replace the cat whiskers.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Rich, I am referring the track or guide that is inside the door. There is a loop shape piece at the lower front of the window that slides up and down in it. In the manual it is referred to as the "door glass front run channel. I need new felt inside of that.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Pat, I used some car and boat carpet from Home Depot. Might be a little thicker, but the windows don't rattle. The stuff is cheap, so you might try it.

Comment

Pat,
            That "loop" is part of the lift channel. The front "U" channel is rigid and is attached to the inside of the door with four screws accessible by removing the inner trim panel.
            The channel is riveted to the two brackets that unscrew from the inner door. I don't know if it can be replaced without removing the window. I've replaced them numerous times but only in the process of a complete rebuild.
            Brad Johnson,
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rockne, I have the channel out without much problem. I am going to take it to my local glass man that does classic car glass and ask his advice tomorrow. He's good, I bet he has a solution. I shoulda thought of that to begin with!

Thanks all for the quick and helpful responses.

Pat
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA

Comment

I got my replacements from Studebaker International. The door piece (where the window rubs against when it rolls down) I got from Palmetto Studebaker, P.O.Box 1357, Georgetown, South Carolina, 29442.
                '53 Commander
                Art Morrison chassis
                LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

WOW, Pat!
                  You're half way there. If he doesn't have the correct size rigid channel he can certainly get it, either from SI, Whitney or other sources; cut to length, precisely reassemble with stainless rivets (don't use steel) and re-install.
                  You're golden!
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a pair of the in-the-door rigid steel pieces that need the felt channels replaced, if you need them. I was able to find a new pair on eBay.
                    '53 Commander
                    Art Morrison chassis
                    LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

As far as the vertical channels inside the door I have glued in velcro to replace the worn out felt. This has been a good replacement and keeps the windows tight yet allows free movement up & down.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Pat...replace all the 'U' channel and 'cat wiskers' while you are at it....you've got it open.
                        Take some pics and add them to your rebuild pictorial so i can reference them when putting mine together.

Bill
                        Bill Foy
                        1000 Islands, Ontario
                        1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

OK Guys, Solution has been found, very similar to what Warren suggested. Lou the glass man has some adhesive backed felt on a roll. It's about 2 inches wide. I will clean the old stuff out very thoroughly; then per instructions, will fold the felt lengthwise, remove the backing and insert in the channel and use a screwdriver or similar flat instrument to press it tightly in place. Replacing the channel itself is not a good option at this point because modified brackets have been welded to it to make room for the electric window motor. One of the best things about this solution was the price: Nothin'.

My cat whiskers were replaced about a year ago, so they are good. They only reason I went inside the door was the window jumped the track on Sunday. I will also be determining why the track jump occurred It could be related to the wadded up felt in the track.

thanks for your help

Pat
                          Last edited by Pat Dilling; 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Very good. I agree, if you can, some pictures of the procedure would be great. This is a repair that every car must undergo at some point.

Comment

I have always had problems replacing these items...they never seem to stay in place as well as from the factory, for me this would be a good clinic at an International Meet. The radius' of the window openings of th C + K look like they are a challenge.
                              Bill Foy
                              1000 Islands, Ontario
                              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X