Lubing points-HUH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubing points-HUH?

I just bought a new set of ignition points at the local Advance Auto. The clerk happily took the new set out of the box when a small plastic bag with a tiny capsule popped out of the box. He stared at the small bag. I noticed he looked very confused at the small capsule of grease in the bag. I seized upon the moment and gave him my "I'm pulling your leg" look and told him if I didn't lubed the points, I could wear the lobes off my distributer. Another older clerk looked over his shoulder and chuckled. As I left the store I could hear the puzzled clerk saying, "Lube the points? HUH? Was he pulling my leg?"

Nope, always lube the points. Of course, it's not for the contacts, but for the rubbing block. Naturally the distributor lobes won't wear, it's to prevent (or at least slow) wear on the point unit's rubbing block. The hope is that with slower wear the points will stay in adjustment longer.

You only need a little dab.

Comment

a little dab means just a swish over a lobe....if you squeeze too much on there the grease will "spread" up to the point surfaces burning them out...

"Just a dab-el do ya"....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        "Just a dab-el do ya"....
        Ya think Brylcreem will work if you lose that little capsule??

Craig

Comment

The other day at AutoZone some kid asked me if I wanted some fuel injector cleaner for my Wagonaire.
          When I told him it had a carburetor his eyes glazed over.
          To make him feel better, I told him it did have a transistorized ignition.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X