No announcement yet.

Second try, my token had expired again. Getting gas-tank to carb-1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second try, my token had expired again. Getting gas-tank to carb-1950 Champion

Is there a way to get gas from the new gas tank to the carb other than grinding the starter?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

I keep an old quart transmission oil bottle with the little spout on it around with gas in it. I fill the carb bowl through the vent tube that comes up into the throat of the carb at a 45 degree angle. This will allow you to start and run the engine for a little while as the fuel pump draws fuel from the tank. I have also found that if there is an air leak at the fuel pump filter bowl it is very difficult for the pump to draw fuel.
    Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob, I appreciate your suggestions!
      sigpicJimmie
      Orange County, Indiana
      1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

I pump compressed air into the gas tank filler neck. Just wrap a rag around your air hose and stick it in the filler neck.
        Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

What ever you do, don't try to start your car without the air filter. There have been stories of car fires from older cars backfiring thru the carb.

Comment

Inexpensive electric guel pump frame mounted, in-line, just below the tank. This is for momentary use only, to get fuel to the carb before start. Cheap ones are noisy, so you'd never want to use it instead of the mechanical... Also, they don't impede flow when off, so the mechanical sucks the fuel just fine. Hide the switch somewhere inconspicuous. I use mine after the car has sat for a week or so in the garage.

Comment

Working...
            X