Need 1963 Avanti R2 Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 1963 Avanti R2 Alternator

Anyone have one that they would like to sell? I have an R2. My rotor shorted out, and the front mounting ear broke off. Re-builder says he cannot do anything with the unit so it is going to the parts bin. I purchased a 1976 Honda Civic alternator (recommended on Bob Johnson's site) as a temporary replacement, but it will not mount without modifying the rear ear to get more clearance so the belt will line up correctly. The rear ear has to be cut down to half width, but that may not be enough. So before I start spend more money on something that is or may not work, I thought I would ask if anyone had one that they would like to sell. Thanks. If yes, just send me an email, unimogjohn@aol.com

Thanks, John in VA
    Last edited by unimogjohn; 06-28-2010, 07:12 AM.
    John
    1963 Avanti R2
    Marshall, VA

Very hard to find. I would save what you have to use for parts if nothing else. I wonder if the easier to find ALE 5001 core could be used to repair what you have?

Comment

StudeMichael, are the cases and some of the parts the same? Mine is still all new in the back end so I am sure I could take it back to the re-builder and swap things around. TX John
      John
      1963 Avanti R2
      Marshall, VA

Comment

Is this the one your looking for?

Click on the pic to enlarge.

Gordon

Comment

I am not sure what parts may interchange between the ALE 5001 and ALE5003

I did find this one for $129.00:

Comment

StudeMichael, thanks. I looked at the Spider Marine site and ordered the alternator. It was even on sale for $129, with shipping it was $143. Cannot beat the price for a new alternatior. I will let you know that happens. Thanks for the help again.

Gordon, thank you also, I have bookmarked Wilson and now have them in my Avanti file also.

Glad to know the alternators are still out there.

John
            John
            1963 Avanti R2
            Marshall, VA

Comment

Please let us know when it comes how it works out. I wish they had a picture of it.

Comment

StudeMichael, I will post a pic of it when it arrives. I will also note any differences with my original unit. Thanks again for the help. Could not have located it without your input. John
                John
                1963 Avanti R2
                Marshall, VA

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
                  Is this the one your looking for?

Click on the pic to enlarge.Gordon
                  This one looks absolutely IDENTICAL to the original, except for the missing Prestolite tag.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And you can get a repro of the Prestolite tag from Dave T-Bow and other vendors. Russ Farris
                    1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                    1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Bad news, Spider Marine just called and said that they do not have one, and cannot get one. So have called Wilson Alternator distributer here in the US. They said that there is a couple in Canada, but I have to talk to the regional sales manager to see how they can get one for me. Stay tuned.
                      John
                      1963 Avanti R2
                      Marshall, VA

Comment

Wow,,,what a hassle.

Comment

Working...
                        X