PDA

View Full Version : Unleaded gasoline in '56 Golden Hawk

romanusantiqus
06-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Will it hurt to use unleaded gasoline in a '56 Golden Hawk with the Packard engine? What if the gasoline contains ethanol?

bezhawk
06-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Yes....your wallet will scream in pain!!!

Mike Van Veghten
06-26-2010, 01:00 AM
The gas you speak of has been a staple in the US for years. Has this car been sitting ?

Neither will do immediate harm.
Though over time, the nonleaded gas will erode the valves and valve seats. Specifically on the exhaust side. Hard seats and good valves are the fix.
Note that if this is just a weekend driver...it will take qiute a while for any excess leakage to show up.
Keep up the valve adjustement schedule. When you notice the valves need adjusting more often....time for valve work. As I said....could take years depending on your driving.

The ethanol will eventually eat older rubber in the fuel lines. Fresh replacements should last years.

Mike

bezhawk
06-26-2010, 08:00 AM
It depends on how you drive your car. If you do alot of long hot heavy loads (like mountains) then you might notice some exhaust valve recession.
The way most collector cars are driven you will probably only get 20 years out of it;)
You will not be as easy to detect it as in a solid lifter car as the hydraulic lifters in the Packard compensate for slight wear.
I would just drive it normally, and next time it is apart for a valve job, put hardened exhaust seats in.
By the way, Pre 67 Chrysler 318 lifters are the same as Packard v8

Bud
06-26-2010, 08:26 AM
In the United States, you really don't have a choice. All of the pump gas sold in the U.S. is unleaded and could contain ethanol. If you aren't using the car to tow a trailer or for racing, you shouldn't have a problem using unleaded gas in the near future. I have seen valve seat recession on several older engines due to the use of unleaded gas, but the engines had some miles on them. I would recommend installing hard seats and new exhaust valves at the next major engine service though. Bud

Eugene
06-26-2010, 09:19 AM
How about a Lead additive?
I use Trans oil in my WD 45 it's old as the hills,
I do lots of farm work with it use it to brush hog, rack hay, bail hay, still running strong..
I use 1 Qt.Trans oil to 10 Gallons of gas.
I got this info from the guy I bought the tractor from an old friend of mine he is 79 years old and tells me that the motor has never been opened.
I hope this helps you out..

PackardV8
06-26-2010, 01:53 PM
FWIW, no matter what some of the scammers in Hemmings try to skate around with their copy writing, it is illegal to sell real lead additive. First, in concentrate form, tetraethyl lead is incredibly poisonous. That's why it is no longer allowed in gasoline for sale for automobiles.

Second, the Packard V8 has hydraulic lifters. There is no valve adjustment. The lifters will take care of slight valve recession.

Third, the Packard will run literally forever in normal hobby car driving without problems from valve recession.

Fourth, a little snake oil, trans oil, diesel, Marvel Mystery Oil or whatever won't hurt too much. It lowers the octane of the fuel, makes a bit of smoke, but doesn't do any real harm.

jack vines

bridgegaurd
06-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Will it hurt to use unleaded gasoline in a '56 Golden Hawk with the Packard engine? What if the gasoline contains ethanol?
Avoid the ethanol if at all possable. It will not treat your hose's and carb gaskets kindly. Unleaded gas unavoidable, like everyone says live with it till if and when something needs done. You may have to adjust the timing a little however. In the meantime enjoy driving my dream car.

PackardV8
06-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Avoid the ethanol if at all possable. It will not treat your hose's and carb gaskets kindly.

Yes, avoid the ethanol if at all possible, because it is bad fuel, bad science and bad politics. Ethanol is corrosive, has less energy per gallon and costs more per gallon to make to the benefit of a few mega-agra-business corporations.

No, it doesn't always ruin old hoses and carb gaskets. I've driven a couple of original Studes on 10% ethanol for twenty years with no serious side effects, other than reduced fuel economy. Your results may vary.

Maybe, reading the weekly questions, I'm getting the vibes from romanusantiquas that he wants a rational justification for buying a 1956 Golden Hawk. The facts are it was the best-looking, fastest US-built sport coupe of the day. However, all the Q&A which will ever be posted here won't make the decision. To be happy with any old car, it has to be true love; like is not enough.

sweetolbob
06-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Posted by PackardV8

To be happy with any old car, it has to be true love; like is not enough

That is the only reason to buy, Beautifully stated Jack.

Bob

bridgegaurd
06-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Yes, avoid the ethanol if at all possible, because it is bad fuel, bad science and bad politics. Ethanol is corrosive, has less energy per gallon and costs more per gallon to make to the benefit of a few mega-agra-business corporations.

No, it doesn't always ruin old hoses and carb gaskets. I've driven a couple of original Studes on 10% ethanol for twenty years with no serious side effects, other than reduced fuel economy. Your results may vary.

I can tell you from my personal experience that it can ruin hoses and gaskets. I came home after four months and had to replace both fuel pumps, all hose's with the updated ones, carb spacer gaskets and the carb. Maybe the Arizona heat in the garage was a factor. From now on i'll avoid ethenol enhanced fuel as much as possable. I'm not going to take the chance on doesn't always i could have used the $300.00 elsewhere.