Road to Hell!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to Hell!?

I was out cruising in my Studebaker on Wednesday the 23rd right after a big storm here in northern Illinois and took this photo. I submitted it to the NBC affiliate in Chicago (Channel 5) and they carried it after their 10:00 p.m. weather report on Thursday the 24th. The weather person Brant Miller always has 3 viewer photos at the conclusion of his forecast. He commented that he was not sure he would want to go down this road! Unfortunately no mention of the Studebaker.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

What an intimidating, but beautiful photograph Richard. Did they, by chance, mention your name on the air? As in "photograph courtesy of Richard Quinn". You can bet a ton of people saw it. Congratulations.

Dan Miller
    Auburn, GA

Comment

Fantastic picture Richard!! One thing I miss living in S. Cal is the weather with such wonderful cloud formations amd those breathtaking sunsets!
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Dan; Yes, they placed my name and town in the upper left of the photo when it ran. I had a number of emails from local people who saw it.
        Richard Quinn

Comment

Richard,
          You're a terrific photographer. Great composition and color. Loved the photo.
          Rog
          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
          Smithtown,NY
          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Great photo indeed, Richard.
            Did you happen to notice if the road was paved with good intentions?
            That might help verify the terminus on which you pontificated....
            <GGG> BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I always knew that Studebakering would take a person straight to...

Comment

Nice!! I stood out outside and watched those cloud formations, I've seen those formations before, but this time just gave me a bad feeling about these. Just remember this folks, when you start to see the dark banded cloud formations start to swirl, it's time to head for cover rather quickly!! We got some wind and alot of rain, which blew out one of the cardboard protected inserts on the '55, followed by a night of being kicked off the power grid, and doing all and everything to keep the sump pump humming with our generator on soggy ground mind you. We were also lucky that I had 3/4 of my meal already cooked when it happened as well. Ironically enough I could look down the hill of one our farmer's field, which is about a mile or so to see "Cape Canaveral" or one of the new subdivisions lit up like a Christmas tree !
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Here’s another one that might be of interest. I posted this one on the forum about 3 years ago but maybe some missed it. The photo was taken on October 23, 2007 on Western Avenue in South Bend. I was returning home (west bound) after attending a dedication at the Studebaker National Museum archives. The most brilliant sunset I have ever seen. The sign at right was converted from Kenworth to Studebaker in Photoshop but no other editing was done. Both this shot and the other sunset at the head of this thread were taken pretty much by chance. I try to carry a digital camera as I travel and sometimes it pays off. Don’t leave home without it!
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

My folks are in La Porte IN. attending a tractor show and called yesterday morning to let me know they had weathered the storm.
                    One of these years after the Spring swapmeet in South Bend I plan to drive to Hell Michigan just because.
                    Great picture,Richard.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Great pictures. The one with the Studebaker sign is fantastic as my 19" monitor wallpaper. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                      X