Vin & body code information needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin & body code information needed

Hello, I just received a 1953 Studebaker commander which I'm getting ready to restore. I need to know the true meaning of the numbers on the vin plate and cowl plate. Also need to know where I can buy replacement body panels...floor panels, inner and rocker panels, front fenders etc. Would like to have one sourse if at all possible. I pretty much need everything new for this car to restore it back to its original condition. Please email at jwcenterprise1@yahoo.com with any information that can/may help. Thanks for your time,

Michael Bohm

Well, put those numbers up here and we'll decipher them for you. Can't do with what we can't see![8D]

As to replacement metal, you're gonna hafta get acquainted with Classic Enterprizes. They're the only ones making sheet metal stuff.

If this is your first Stude, I'd suggest JOINING the Studebaker Drivers Club (a wealth of vendors advertize there every month!) and buying 3 books to aid your efforts - the shop manual and the body manual and the chassis manual. You might find these at a bit of a bargain on ebay OR you can just call SASCO (800)722-4295 and order new ones.

Welcome to our world! If your Commander is a coupe or a hardtop, it's one of the most sought after models that Studebaker ever built. Of course, the sedans are nice too! The Stude V8 is truly legendary in it's performance and economy. Everything you might need to refresh it is readily available.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Welcome to our world. We'll help all we can.

There is no one source; dozens of major sources and hundreds of minor ones.

All the resources you need are advertised in TURNING WHEELS, the monthly magazine sent to members of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Needless to say, though I'm saying it, your first best investment would be $19.95 to join SDC. Use the "Sticky" link at the top of the topic page that says "Join SDC, Right Here-Right Now".

We'll help you all we can but, believe me, none of us have the time in this venue to give you everything SDC has to offer. There is just too much available.

As Mr.Biggs said, post your numbers here and you will quickly know exactly what you've got, right down to the trim level.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
      X