The Avanti is a kit car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Avanti is a kit car

OK, it just seems like one when you do the interior. It looks like someone designed the cockpit space and someone else had to figure out how to cover it with vinyl and carpet. i.e. the carpet is 15 pieces glued in, and dozens of vinyl bits wrapped around glass or cardboard panels. No wonder pro shops charge over 3K just in labor 3K to redo a Avanti.
    JDP Maryland

Been there done that on my buddy's '63 Avanti. Did not have a clue what I was getting myself into. Did it way too cheap. I should have gotten a clue when I opened the box with all the pieces in kit form. i will never ever do another one! The interior was definitely engineered on the cheap and time no doubt was of the essence. Even the company that made the interior kit won't install one. Imagine having to do this install all day on the assembly line.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

That's why trucks are great.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

Quote of the decade!

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

or just don't put carpet in (gets a little warm in the summer, though...)

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I did my interior including the seats.

As difficult as it is the final product has a much richer look than a lot of cars of the era. Few exposed screw heads, padded vinyl instead of hard plastic castings or worse yet painted metal. It was the interior that made me want one. I didn't see one up close until I was in college in 1971 and got to peer in the window. It took another 24 years to get one and ironically the interior was trash.

Now, if you want to see a kit car...take a look at an '88 ( probably 87 too ). Switches just stuffed into holes, jumbles of wires under the dash shortcuts everywhere. The carpet is not molded but made thin enough so it can drape over the bends.

Which reminds me, JDP do you have a source for later carpet kits?

ErnieR

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
              Yep, especially ones with no chrome!
              Jeff DeWitt
              http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                or just don't put carpet in (gets a little warm in the summer, though...)

nate

The carpet is, as is the windshield header trim, just waiting for you to help wire and install the dash. The interior from the Ca. parts car is somewhere on a Greyhound on the way to me.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by bige View Post
                  I did my interior including the seats.

As difficult as it is the final product has a much richer look than a lot of cars of the era. Few exposed screw heads, padded vinyl instead of hard plastic castings or worse yet painted metal. It was the interior that made me want one. I didn't see one up close until I was in college in 1971 and got to peer in the window. It took another 24 years to get one and ironically the interior was trash.

Now, if you want to see a kit car...take a look at an '88 ( probably 87 too ). Switches just stuffed into holes, jumbles of wires under the dash shortcuts everywhere. The carpet is not molded but made thin enough so it can drape over the bends.

Which reminds me, JDP do you have a source for later carpet kits?

ErnieR

Nope, no patterns for them.
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                    Been there done that on my buddy's '63 Avanti. Did not have a clue what I was getting myself into. Did it way too cheap. I should have gotten a clue when I opened the box with all the pieces in kit form. i will never ever do another one! The interior was definitely engineered on the cheap and time no doubt was of the essence. Even the company that made the interior kit won't install one.
                    Thank you for this, Frank. It's a good tool to break out when I start thinking about getting one, which happens from time to time. Maybe I'll copy this to a Post-it note and stick it to my computer screen just for safety's sake. After all, I'm no 'bige'!

Comment

I'm afraid I don't agree with all the negativity expressed regarding Avantis and their restoration. Having done 5 over the years as a hobby, I can positively state that the beauty of the Avanti interior is that almost all of the pieces can be fabricated by a hobbiest with "learned" skills. Also good quality seat skins and carpets are readily available from Stude vendors. Even cracked dash pads can be patched and painted to provide an acceptable appearance, even though not show quality. If you are going for absolute authenticity, that can get a bit more expensive, but that standard is not particularly specific, given the nature of the Avanti production process. My advice is to stop discouraging those interested in getting involved in the restoration of these automobiles. It can be quite rewarding when the finished product looks and drives like new.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
                        I'm afraid I don't agree with all the negativity expressed regarding Avantis and their restoration. Having done 5 over the years as a hobby, I can positively state that the beauty of the Avanti interior is that almost all of the pieces can be fabricated by a hobbiest with "learned" skills. Also good quality seat skins and carpets are readily available from Stude vendors. Even cracked dash pads can be patched and painted to provide an acceptable appearance, even though not show quality. If you are going for absolute authenticity, that can get a bit more expensive, but that standard is not particularly specific, given the nature of the Avanti production process. My advice is to stop discouraging those interested in getting involved in the restoration of these automobiles. It can be quite rewarding when the finished product looks and drives like new.
                        I heartedly agree. I've loved Avanti's since I first knew what one was when I was a kid, so obviously my opinion is biased. They have their quirks, to be sure, and I hope to see more cars saved rather than scrapped or parted out, but I also understand there is a point of no return for any car...financially if not just practically. It's way too easy to end up upside down in an Avanti...or any Studebaker for that matter. That can also be said for most any other make and model car.

If it was purely based on economics and return on the dollar, few, if any Studebakers or cars would be saved and restored. We do it for the love of the cars. That's enough for me.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

You guys are getting me depressed (look at my photo, that's me when I'm happy)...
                          and I'm in waaaaay too deep to turn back now.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                            You guys are getting me depressed (look at my photo, that's me when I'm happy)...
                            and I'm in waaaaay too deep to turn back now.
                            I hear ya! As all too often happens with cars...maybe fiberglass cars in particular...when the body was taken off the frame of mine and was stripped of all accessories and attachments, stress cracks in the fiberglass that had previously been invisible make themselves known. At that point, you have to fix them or the whole job is wasted.

It's not the big things that get you...you already knew about them and planned for them. It's the little stuff that's unseen and add up to an unexpected total to repair. But...when the car is done (well...it's never really done) and you drive it...those bad feelings go away as you go down the highway as king of the road.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              I hear ya! As all too often happens with cars...maybe fiberglass cars in particular...when the body was taken off the frame of mine and was stripped of all accessories and attachments, stress cracks in the fiberglass that had previously been invisible make themselves known.
                              I'll tell you a secret....we (Alan Barth, to be exact) left the body on. The chassis and body were in good shape, so I saw no need except for braggin' rights.
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X