53 Commander coupe will be coming home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Commander coupe will be coming home

Got a 53 Commander coupe yesterday in South Dakota just have to go get it when the trailer is ready

Good chrome on the grille bezels and a solid hood needs a good wash last on the road 1969
    it's a project car for sure no motor etc.

soap and water will be required and lots of work
    Last edited by powerhawkeye; 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM. Reason: photos

A lot of work YES!!, but if the hood fit is any indication of the shape of the rest of the car, It will make a great project.

Bob

Comment

Has a solid hood from what i can see it's wired shut

no pits on the chrome grilles as far as i can tell

quite happy with the coupe + a title
      Last edited by powerhawkeye; 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        ...but if the hood fit is any indication of the shape of the rest of the car, It will make a great project.

Bob
        Good point, Bob. Who has ever seen a 1953 C/K hood fit better than that? Not me! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

At least you got a title unlike my last '53 in which case I was assured there was a title(and paid extra)and then 3 years later was still waiting.
          Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Wow, those grille surrounds are near mint!
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
              At least you got a title unlike my last '53 in which case I was assured there was a title(and paid extra)and then 3 years later was still waiting.
              yeah Bob that's to long 3 years,
              her husband died she has the forms to handle the title

all his toys are being sold, there were a couple of guys from Alex picking up a rusty Porsche 911 when i got there

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                Wow, those grille surrounds are near mint!
                Alex, in the original ad photos you couldn't tell if there was one surround or the condition
                couldn't see any pits the coupe had years of dirt on it & a solid hood

Comment

the coupe is home

the 53 Commander coupe is home
                  bad news the hood flew off it was wired by the previous owner who is deceased checked under the car didn't know the hood wasn't bolted on the hinges went back 40 miles no luck, the car was loaded backwards there was no room
                  it was not a happy day when we discovered the hood was missing at the gas station

now the better news the floors are solid as is the trunk and the body except for the usual fender rust, need to straighten the right rear 1/4 and it has a title, couldn't be happier except for loosing the hood no rust just the dent now who knows

multi color primer on the car some paint and bondo in the fender rust other then that no bondo
                  has a very wide clutch pedal and the title is being handled by the spouse

the hump was cut out needs a piece of metal welded in

has cop car wheels

last licensed in 1969 not to bad for a Minnesota car

Comment

I am feeling your pain. That car has great looking rockers though, I bet replacements. I sm surprized how solid the floors are because my car had nothing but fiberglass srom the c pillar to the firewall ans it is a southern car, never seen salt that I know of.
                    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

Originally posted by Nelsen Motorsports View Post
                      I am feeling your pain. That car has great looking rockers though, I bet replacements. I sm surprized how solid the floors are because my car had nothing but fiberglass srom the c pillar to the firewall ans it is a southern car, never seen salt that I know of.
                      Alex nothing has been replaced on the car it's all original the car was inside most of the time, the trunk mounts a solid as a rock
                      he had it outside someone stole the grille bars and door glass after that it was locked up
                      he passed away and he wife sold it

still going through the if i only did this or that on the hood loss, i'll never take it for granted again
                      this was tough, had visions of the car sitting in my driveway with the hood on then the shock at the pump, makes a guy sick

Comment

What a total bummer to an otherwise great day. Really sorry to hear about that, I hope it did not cause anyone else harm. This is the 3rd or 4th person I have heard something like this happening to when towing an old car home, others have just had them blow up and in one case take out the windshield too. So lesson for all, put a strap across the hood when trailering an unknown car, especially an old one.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

The hood could of come off on the country road? we looked all over

tall grass could of hid it or gone in the water, walking the ditches would work but 40 miles of walking

no signs it caused any problems to anyone that's the good of the bad
                          Last edited by powerhawkeye; 07-01-2010, 07:14 AM.

Comment

The same thing happened to my hood (not with me, previous owner). You have a great car to start. Are those wheels 15"?
                            I need two 15" mopar police rally like those, with a 6", 6.5" or 7 at the widest. Anyone have any anywhere close to me for
                            sale, or any any where that would be reasonable shipping?

Comment

went back to South Dakota to get the 53 Stude coupe title issues handled mission accomplished on that
                              checked the ditches on the road to the interstate came up empty for the missing hood
                              1 out of 2 that's 50/50
                              have a few leads on 53 Studebaker parts and cars plus other makes
                              they want to clear the land only time will tell on that deal

Comment

Working...
                              X