Lark expert needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark expert needed

First off let me tell the story, then ask the questions I have....
    It all started 2 years ago at my long time friends wedding, his new bride and he, were talking with me and my girlfriend(now fiancee), when the subject of cars came up. We remembered back to our trips to Carlisle, Car shows and yes, even stereo contests, we will leave the street racing out since we never did anything like that
    Thats when his new bride said well you might be intrested in my dads 2 old cars.....I said well, what are they, she said a Jeep and a Studebaker. Trying to contain my enthusiasm I asked for more info.
    Ill cut straight to the Studebaker info, and bypass the postal looking jeep that is LEFT hand drive, and apparently 1 of 40. She said she didnt know much about it, but that it had a big V8, and her dad referred to it as a "moonshiners" car. She also said that a man named Studebaker had approached her dad about selling it and putting it in the Studebaker Museum. But circumstances left the Studee behind as the man was looking for local graveyards with tombstones bearing his name. I asked if it was a Hawk, he said yea, I think, because I always get it confused with a Buick, Skyhawk maybe? he said.
    Fast forward to last week. I ran into my buddy and asked him about the old stude. He said he was going to call me because her dad wanted to clean up and sell his cars as he would never be doing anything with them anyway. He said that her father told him it was a 100% original car, and that it had been specially ordered. He said it has a 327 V8 and that when it was driveable 7 years ago it would melt the tires off the rims. I said are you sure its a 327??? He said yes because he said "that was a Chevy motor" and got into an argument with his dad in law. He said it was a 1960 4 door Lark. I am going up to look at it tommorrow morning. And will be taking pics and jotting down info......

Now I am not a Stude or Chebby expert, but I didnt think the 327 came out till '62 in the chebby line and didnt think the sbc found its way into a studee until '65, and then only in the 283 form. Anyone got any info, they'd like to share???

Thanks
    Shawn

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

I tried Snopes, but nothing there...
    Urban legends abound
    Engine swaps were common then (and now)..
    Perhaps the dealer blew up the Stude engine and stuffed a Chevy in there and sold it that way.
    You never know..
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by loc8tor

It all started 2 years ago at my long time friends wedding, his new bride and he, were talking with me and my girlfriend(now fiancee), when the subject of cars came up. We remembered back to our trips to Carlisle, Car shows and yes, even stereo contests, we will leave the street racing out since we never did anything like that
    Thats when his new bride said well you might be intrested in my dads 2 old cars.....I said well, what are they, she said a Jeep and a Studebaker. Trying to contain my enthusiasm I asked for more info.
    Ill cut straight to the Studebaker info, and bypass the postal looking jeep that is LEFT hand drive, and apparently 1 of 40. She said she didnt know much about it, but that it had a big V8, and her dad referred to it as a "moonshiners" car. She also said that a man named Studebaker had approached her dad about selling it and putting it in the Studebaker Museum. But circumstances left the Studee behind as the man was looking for local graveyards with tombstones bearing his name. I asked if it was a Hawk, he said yea, I think, because I always get it confused with a Buick, Skyhawk maybe? he said.
    Fast forward to last week. I ran into my buddy and asked him about the old stude. He said he was going to call me because her dad wanted to clean up and sell his cars as he would never be doing anything with them anyway. He said that her father told him it was a 100% original car, and that it had been specially ordered. He said it has a 327 V8 and that when it was driveable 7 years ago it would melt the tires off the rims. I said are you sure its a 327??? He said yes because he said "that was a Chevy motor" and got into an argument with his dad in law. He said it was a 1960 4 door Lark. I am going up to look at it tommorrow morning. And will be taking pics and jotting down info......

Now I am not a Stude or Chebby expert, but I didnt think the 327 came out till '62 in the chebby line and didnt think the sbc found its way into a studee until '65, and then only in the 283 form. Anyone got any info, they'd like to share???

Thanks
    Shawn

hmmm, my girlfriend has 2 GT Hawks....and I feel left out, wheres my "R" model Daytona????

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
    Brooklet, Georgia
    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
    '61 Hawk (project)
    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I tried Snopes, but nothing there...
      Urban legends abound
      Engine swaps were common then (and now)..
      Perhaps the dealer blew up the Stude engine and stuffed a Chevy in there and sold it that way.
      You never know..
      Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by loc8tor

Thanks
      Shawn

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
      Brooklet, Georgia
      '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
      '61 Hawk (project)
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I am going to guess that it is a 1960 Lark with a Studebaker 259 V8. Waiting, with interest, for your inspection results tomorrow.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am going to guess that it is a 1960 Lark with a Studebaker 259 V8. Waiting, with interest, for your inspection results tomorrow.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I think I can state with confidence that it wasn't built or bought new with a 327 in it. There ARE some stroker cranks "out there" that can turn a Stude V8 into a 327, but they weren't/aren't factory.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think I can state with confidence that it wasn't built or bought new with a 327 in it. There ARE some stroker cranks "out there" that can turn a Stude V8 into a 327, but they weren't/aren't factory.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm betting that the car has a 327, but that it was bought off the used car lot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'm betting that the car has a 327, but that it was bought off the used car lot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I think we would probably need pictures of the 60 Lark. If its 100 percent original I would bank it had a 259 (or special ordered 289?). I cannot remember anything about a 327 GM engine cropping up in the Studebaker engine inventory(history of Avanti II's aside). Also, if it had a 327 or other "oddball" engine, either by Studebaker or by GM, I would think that it showed up on the production order and as a special order by Studebaker. About anything production GM for the Lark I can think of is the 194 six or the 283 V8 and they appeared in 65-66 when they went into production in Canada.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I think we would probably need pictures of the 60 Lark. If its 100 percent original I would bank it had a 259 (or special ordered 289?). I cannot remember anything about a 327 GM engine cropping up in the Studebaker engine inventory(history of Avanti II's aside). Also, if it had a 327 or other "oddball" engine, either by Studebaker or by GM, I would think that it showed up on the production order and as a special order by Studebaker. About anything production GM for the Lark I can think of is the 194 six or the 283 V8 and they appeared in 65-66 when they went into production in Canada.

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Also, if it had a 327 or other "oddball" engine, either by Studebaker or by GM,

I wonder if its neither a Studebaker or a Chev, but a RAMBLER![:0]

They had their own 327 in those years, and the Rebels were known known for rather good Zero-to-Sixty times because of their light weight!

Craig

Comment

Also, if it had a 327 or other "oddball" engine, either by Studebaker or by GM,

I wonder if its neither a Studebaker or a Chev, but a RAMBLER![:0]

They had their own 327 in those years, and the Rebels were known known for rather good Zero-to-Sixty times because of their light weight!

Craig

Comment

Good point, Craig!

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Good point, Craig!

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X