PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow: Another 1958 Packard hardtop surfaces!

BobPalma
06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Are they still making these in Canada or what?

BIN seems a little ambitious, but it's hard to tell from the limited photos and description. The cited link works well to many additional photos and seems to reinforce that BIN opinion.

Interesting; power brakes but no power steering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-Packard-TT-/300439760976?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item45f39af050

s2dwagon
06-22-2010, 10:45 AM
That is a great looking car. Would it be a supercahrged car?

Scott

N8N
06-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree, that's a great looking car. Dash is gonna be expensive though!

nate

PackardV8
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
That is a great looking car. As always, looks are subjective. I love the '57 Packards, but the grafted-on quad headlights ruin the '58s for me.

Would it be a supercahrged car? Don't think so. Most all '57 Packard sedans and wagons were supercharged, but IIRC, there were so many warranty problems, only the '58 Hawks had the supercharger.

thnx, jack vines

BobPalma
06-22-2010, 11:18 AM
That is a great looking car. Would it be a supercharged car?

Scott

No, Scott; only the 1958 Packard Hawk was supercharged. The supercharger was not available on sedans, wagons, and hardtops like this.

In 1957, there was no Packard Hawk or hardtop, but all the 1957 sedans and wagons (the two body styles they did produce) were supercharged. It (supercharger) was standard equipment in 1957; there were no options. (In fact, there were no engine options for any 1957 or 1958 Packard built on a Studebaker platform; the model you chose determined the engine you got, period.) BP

studegary
06-22-2010, 03:42 PM
There have been a lot of listings for Studebaker TT models, but this is the first that I have seen a "Packard TT" model. This just tells me that the person writing the listing does not know much about the car. I think that the car would draw some reasonable bids with a lower opening bid.

We like the '58 Packard hardtops. We owned one for nearly ten years. It was red and white with the optional all vinyl interior. I have seen this optional interior at a flea market (removed from a parted out car), but never another car on the road with it. The mother of the local Studebaker dealer also had a red and white hardtop, with the standard interior. That car had a few local owners while we had ours. It was unusual to be at a small local meet with two red and white 1958 Packard hardtops. The last that I knew, that car was still in this area. I sold ours to a dealer in Utica, NY.

bams50
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Someday I intend to own one of those for awhile; that roof with those fins is dynamite! I admit to preferring the podless 57 fenders better, but don't really mind the 58s.

I'm guessing those tacked-on pods were really unpopular in their day, but they add to their charm today, yes?

BobPalma
06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Undoubtedly, the seller / poster listed it as a 1958 Packard TT because that's the only external identification he could find on the car. Other than the word Packard, the only other external script is TT.

(Let's see: If he ever encounters a 1957 Chevrolet 150 or 210 with Fuel Injection, it will probably be listed for sale as a 1957 Chevrolet Fuel Injection! <GGG>) BP

Gary1953
06-22-2010, 07:52 PM
It has a horn button with a Hawk emblem on it. Is that correct for a '58 Packard?

showbizkid
06-22-2010, 08:58 PM
These cars must have an amazingly high survival rate.

StudeMichael
06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
The horn button is correct for a 1958 Packard

studegary
06-23-2010, 01:27 PM
BAMS/Bob A. - I sold mine, along with several other cars like Corvette and Imperial Crown Coupe, to Chick Capra in Utica. He owned a couple of small used car lots in Utica. This was years ago. He may know where the car went (is) or at least have business records of his sale of it. Since you have some interest in owning one of the 675, this may be a lead. Mine had 67K miles when I sold it to him.

8E45E
06-23-2010, 01:39 PM
(Let's see: If he ever encounters a 1957 Chevrolet 150 or 210 with Fuel Injection, it will probably be listed for sale as a 1957 Chevrolet Fuel Injection! <GGG>) BP

Probably less than the amount of some Larks we have seen listed on Ebay so far as a '1963 Studebaker Lark Vanity' since there are far fewer of them.

Craig

06-23-2010, 05:12 PM
In 1972 I took my '64 Champ for some service to an old Studebaker dealer in the northwest part of Boston. The dealership was run by two elderly brothers and they had one elderly deaf mechanic. Anyhow, they had two '58 Packard hardtops sitting on their used car lot. I remember one as being purple and white. Wonder what ever became of them. Our local member, Torrey Kirby, has three of them. One has a tree growing through the left rear quarter and the others aren't much better.

StudeDave57
06-23-2010, 07:01 PM
No matter which body~ they tend to grow on you after awhile...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/StudeDave/My%20Rides/hellothere.jpg

Or maybe it's a face only her owner can love?

showbizkid
06-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I really like that front end. Always have.

56H-Y6
06-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi

All '58 Packards have a good survival rate for such a low production car which is great. I have one that continues to haunt my memory. On the way back to college in 1975, we ran across a used car lot quickly becoming a collector car lot on the east side of Lamar, Colorado. In the front line of cars was a red and white '58 Packard hardtop in nice original condition. Although the lot owner wasn't home, I vaguely recall the name as Coberly or something similar. I've posted an appeal on here a few years ago to anyone who recalls the place, none so far. Among the other interesting cars on the lot was a '41 Studebaker Sedan-coupe, don't recall whether it was a Commander or President. Most of the cars were early '60's or before, many in the '40's & '50's.

Hope this '58 Packard hardtop finds an appreciative owner who restores it properly. I still have dreams of restoring a '58 Packard convertible using a car like this combined with '60 Lark convertible parts car parts. And then, planting the lovely hardtop roof and rear window on a '56 or '57 President Classic or '57 Clipper Town Sedan. The side window units would be a real challenge to create. I don't possess the skills or resource to make these ideas happen......but fun to draw up just the same!

Steve

58PackardWagon
06-26-2010, 09:14 PM
56h-y6, I might of owned that Packard hardtop in 1996. I bought a 58 Packard hardtop, white bottom, parade red top with the jewel beige interior just about an hour northwest of Denver. I wonder if it is the same car. Needless to say I sold it to a guy in NY in 1999 who is restoring it.

56H-Y6
06-27-2010, 08:01 AM
56h-y6, I might of owned that Packard hardtop in 1996. I bought a 58 Packard hardtop, white bottom, parade red top with the jewel beige interior just about an hour northwest of Denver. I wonder if it is the same car. Needless to say I sold it to a guy in NY in 1999 who is restoring it.

Hi 58PackardWagon

Although it was from the right region, the '58 hardtop haunting my memory was red on the bottom with white top and side sweep, just like the one shown on the advertising sheets.

On the car you had, was the side sweep Parade Red as well, matching the top? In the article by Fred Fox on '58 Sedans & Wagons in August 1991 TW, code P5860 describes the car I saw, code P5861 the car you had.

Also from that article: "All Packard models also had gold anodized inlays on each side" While this seem to have been true of most cars, I've come across examples that lack that trim. There seemed to me no pattern to whether the cars had it or not. Many times, the gold anodizing had faded badly, just as often, the insert was simply painted metal. That area covering the fender end was just sheet metal, a body color metal strip covering the seam. Have you noticed this oddity?

Steve

stude62
06-27-2010, 08:53 AM
I always thought the design of the front of Packard and the Packard Hawk were attractive. Its the back end fin toppers outward cant that is awkward for me. I understand what they were trying to accomplish, but had they kept them in alignment with the body it would have come off as part of a total design, rather than something tacked on. Its just my opinion.

Transtar56
06-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Are they still making these in Canada or what?

Yes we are,but production has hit some snags lately.

BobPalma
06-27-2010, 04:33 PM
I see this isn't going anywhere fast with a day left and no one having opened the auction with the $5,500 Opening Bid <GGG>

58PackardWagon
06-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Of the 75 plus 58 Packards that I have seen, all have the gold inserts. Would be interesting to see one without.
Sorry to say the one in Colorado looks to be the opposite paint pattern.
The reason why this one on ebay is not moving is because it is way over priced with the amount of rust in it and shape of the interior.

JunkYarDog
06-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Looks good in the pictures but what is it about Studie paint , I know there was some nice colors back in those years.

JunkYarDog
06-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Current bid $ 5,500.00 He'd better take it.

BobPalma
06-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Current bid $ 5,500.00 He'd better take it.

There is no $5,500 bid as of this writing.

There are no bids at all, as a matter of fact. He wants the auction to open with a $5,500 bid...and, to date, no buyer shares his opinion! <GGG> BP

JunkYarDog
06-27-2010, 09:09 PM

I'd say the type of person that would buy one back in the day when they were new were the type to take care of a car and and not get rid of it. I'd say this is good evidence of that . They wanted something really flashy but were not the type to spend money.

StudeDave57
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Maybe I oughtta pick it up-- it's colors match my sedan... http://serve.mysmiley.net/happy/happy0158.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-laughing-smileys.php)

I'd say the type of person that would buy one back in the day when they were new were the type to take care of a car and and not get rid of it. I'd say this is good evidence of that . They wanted something really flashy but were not the type to spend money.
I hear ya there!!! I bought my '58 Packard (pictured above) from Dave Jr.~ the 80+ year old son of the original owner. You read that right-- the son was in his 80s!!! The father (Dave Sr) drove it until he passed away in the mid '70s, and Dave Jr drove it very little after that.

Both Daves were doctors.

There's a thread about my car here somewhere.
It'll be from sometime in 2007 or so, good luck...

StudeDave '57 :cool:
not a Dr.

mbstude
06-27-2010, 09:29 PM
So all three owners of your '58 Packard have been named Dave?

What are the chances of that? :)

StudeDave57
06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
So all three owners of your '58 Packard have been named Dave?
What are the chances of that? :)
Yes!!! I thought it was quite odd as well. :rolleyes:

I have no idea as to the other question~
Where's the decimal dude when we need him? :confused:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

JunkYarDog
06-28-2010, 07:38 AM
My 57 Commander's name is Christine from the previous owner's, now was that before the movie or after the movie "Hummmm"

studegary
06-28-2010, 03:59 PM

This applies to some of them, but not all. I think back to three 1958 Packards that come to mind. I purchased my own hardtop from the second owner and that was in about 1966. The brothers that owned the local Studebaker dealership bought a hardtop for their mother. She kept it "forever". I was in a Studebaker dealership on Long Island in the Fall of 1961. A guy was there that bought a new car about every three or four years. They couldn't get him to trade his '58 Packard in on a new Hawk because he didn't like the 1962 Gran Turismo.