One more trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more trip

This past Saturday, I decided to take the '55 E5 on a 100 mile jaunt to our Palmetto chapter's picnic on the shore of Lake Murray in the middle of S.C. My wife followed in her air-conditioned Maxima. Up and down the rolling hills on I-26 in near 100 degree heat is a huge challenge for the tired old flat head. At the rest stop, I had to chuckle when my wife suggested I increase my speed five more miles per hour when going up hill. I had to remind her that the truck was built before interstates. Not long after getting the truck over 35 years ago, I installed an overdrive tranny and left the rear end geared for the standard three speed. That combination is good for level and down hill. It is also good for gas mileage but not the best for pulling long hills at interstate speeds. In 1975 I did an "in frame" overhaul completely overlooking cam bearings. Ever since my oil pressure has been no better than 30 -35 on cool days!. You can imagine what it looked like on a day like this. Our return trip was "off interstate" through the small towns and back roads. Even in the heat, I had a great time. My poor wife has had about four back surgeries and even has a metal cage supporting parts of her spine. Even in the air-conditioned Maxima, I think she suffered more than I did in the heat and jostling ride of the old truck. I don't know how many more trips the truck has in it, but running like it did in the heat showing only 20 to 25 pounds of oil pressure, and almost none at idle, is a testament to the ruggedness and toughness of these engines.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I wouldn't pronounce it dead just yet. When I got my Champion-powered '59 pickup when I was 16, I put 10K miles on it over a couple years time. The engine always had about 3 PSI of pressure at idle, whether it was just started up or at full operating temp. Rev the engine and it would go up to 15 PSI or so. The engine was tired as could be but it never stopped running and I always drove it with my foot through the floor. It might have been gutless but it was tough.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      I wouldn't pronounce it dead just yet. When I got my Champion-powered '59 pickup when I was 16, I put 10K miles on it over a couple years time. The engine always had about 3 PSI of pressure at idle, whether it was just started up or at full operating temp. Rev the engine and it would go up to 15 PSI or so. The engine was tired as could be but it never stopped running and I always drove it with my foot through the floor. It might have been gutless but it was tough.
      Also worth mentioning, be fore I let Matthew it, it was not uncommon for it to be called upon to haul a ton or so of brick, block, stone,sand or what have you. It has been known to haul a load of tombstones across the state.

I loved that old truck. NT
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
      X