PDA

View Full Version : Progress on Rustobaker

Jerry Forrester
06-19-2010, 04:08 PM
6-19-10
I had a fairly productive day today.
Popped the valve covers and the rocker assys. off and installed intake valve seals. Someone must have done a valve job just before parking him because the rocker assys. and the heads are very clean. No sludge. While I was there I installed new plugs and wires. Also while I had the VC's off I glass beaded them and put on a nice new coat of gold paint.
He's running good now but I will still have to soften up the accelerator pump leather. There's still a small bog at first acceleration.

Collection Doctor
06-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I trust you are getting a battery hold down?

silverhawk
06-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Looking good! Question though: By all the surface rust, and the weird paint striping in the engine compartment, I'm guessing that the paint was removed chemically?

Edsel G. Tattooer
06-19-2010, 08:10 PM
I have a battery hold down if you need it. It needs paint too.

Jerry Forrester
06-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Looking good! Question though: By all the surface rust, and the weird paint striping in the engine compartment, I'm guessing that the paint was removed chemically?
No, the car was stored in the basement of a warehouse for thirty years and all kinds of chemicals and paints and tar, etc. leaked down from the upper floor onto the car. Some of the stuff has to come off with a hammer and chisel. I'm having to use a propane torch and a putty knife to get the tar off.

Jerry Forrester
06-19-2010, 08:50 PM
[quote]I have a battery hold down if you need it. It needs paint too.[quote]

I have one but the car says he's not ready for it.

DEEPNHOCK
06-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Wonder what the A8 grease pen mark on the firewall means?
Jeff:cool:

Nelsen Motorsports
06-20-2010, 11:12 AM
That is just an assembly line number, probably made it easier to match a car bady and a frame.

Jerry Forrester
06-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Progress report. 6-24-10

First picture ... Cut the spot welds around the right rear passenger foot well.

Second picture .... Removed the foot well.

Third picture .... Marked the rusted area next to it.

Forth picture .... and cut it out.

Fifth picture .... Made a new panel and welded it in.

Sixth picture .... Started fabing the new foot well.

mbstude
06-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Dang Jerry. Looks like Boy Dog is earning his keep.

Jerry Forrester
06-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Got one side of the foot well made.

50starlite
06-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks Jerry, I really like these type of posts! I might even learn something new. Most folks take pictures only when there done, I like to see how it got done. Keep it coming.

Mike Sal
06-24-2010, 09:38 PM
What equipment are you using to fab the panels? That side piece looks really good.
Mike Sal

Jerry Forrester
06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
What equipment are you using to fab the panels? That side piece looks really good.
Mike Sal
Here's a slide show of some of our shop equipment.

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/578011809JKeKLU

mbstude
06-25-2010, 12:26 PM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/forresters.jpg

BTW Jerry. I think Leo is getting jealous.

Jerry Forrester
06-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Mike Sal

Here's what most of the metal shaping is done with.
http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/42806/2325570270051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2325570270051977924ilFxOB)

Jerry Forrester
06-25-2010, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=Jerry Forrester;467932]First picture.......Got one side of the foot well made.
Second picture...................... About 1/2 way done with this foot well.

sweetolbob
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Jerry

As Red Green says: If you ain't handsome you better be handy. It looks like you are.

If Lou isn't jealous I sure am, and just when I thought I was in the "He with the most tools wins" contest, I see I'm just a piker.

Nice work.:)

Bob

Jerry Forrester
06-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Jerry

As Red Green says: If you ain't handsome you better be handy. It looks like you are.

If Lou isn't jealous I sure am, and just when I thought I was in the "He with the most tools wins" contest, I see I'm just a piker.

Nice work.:)

Bob
Thanks Bob.
Here's another great tool. A hydraulic brake line double flaring tool.
http://inlinethumb49.webshots.com/46256/2880407070051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2880407070051977924jqihSI)

I don't understand why people have to buy pre bent hard brake lines.
Here's one I just finished bending up laying next to the old one.

N8N
06-25-2010, 07:24 PM
I have flare tool envy.

I have bought prebent, for most things I roll my own but I couldn't manage the bends in the rear axle brake line to get around the traction bar brackets. (of course, now I've decided not to use them... but whatever...) Nothing I had would make a nice 90 degree bend that close to the flare. Besides, "stainless is forever."

I am pretty impressed with that footwell. looks good...

nate

Jerry Forrester
06-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Did I mention, we make all out own wiring harnesses.
We use GM wire color codes.
http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/45965/2818849030051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2818849030051977924bynMCH)

bams50
06-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Pretty cool, JF! I was feeling intimidated by my relative lack of tools until I saw Chip Foose put a curve in a length of pipe by repeatedly smacking the end on the pavement outside the shop and eyeballing it until it fit:)

Jerry Forrester
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I have flare tool envy.
I am pretty impressed with that footwell. looks good...

nate
I must confess, that's Robert's handiwork.
I started on it but when he came by I acted like I didn't know what I was doing, and as usual, he pushed me out of the way and is doing all the sheet metal work himself. <GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG>

Works every time. Heh Heh Heh.

Every time I have a nasty job to do, all I have to say is "This is an impossible job. There's no body in the state of Georgia that can do this job". Next thing ya know, Ole Robert's got it done.

studeclunker
06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Rusto-Baker... LOL, sounds like one of mine!:D:o:D:o

Adamsavanti
06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Well, I'm with Sweetolbob, just a piker, a total piker. I proudly showed my (hand tool) collection to a friend the other day, all neatly arranged on my pegboard. Looks like a total amateur's collection compared to yours!

50starlite
06-26-2010, 09:46 AM
What? No brake press?

Nice work, great shop!

Jerry Forrester
06-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Made a couple of rear wheels today.
I like to run small Lark center caps and beauty bands on my wheels.
I like to run either 8 or 8 1/2" wheels on the rear.
If you're using an original Studebaker rear axle, the only way I know to do that is to make your own wheels.
An 8" wheel measures 9" outside to outside. That means you need a six inch backspaceing to give you the same clearance between the tire and fender lip on the outside and the tire and the leaf spring on the inside.
I had some 4 1/2" X 15 lark wheels and some 8" X 15 Ford truck wheels (chrome wagon spoke).
I cut the centers out of two Lark wheels and two Ford truck wheels.
The Lark centers were 3/16" too big for the Ford truck wheels.
A few minutes on the lathe resolved that problem.
Cut the centers to where I would have a .005 press fit.
Moved everything over to the press and pressed them together.
Bolted them onto Rustobaker's rear axle and spun them to make sure they were true.
Removed them, threw them up on the welding table and welded them up.

First pic is two Lark wheels and two Ford truck wheels before I started on them.
Second pic is a Lark wheel minus it's center and a Ford wheel ring with the Lark center welded in.

Jerry Forrester
07-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Friday Robert finished the right rear foot well and I spot welded it in.

Jerry Forrester
07-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Saturday I finished the brake job. All new lines (hard and soft), new master cylinder, four new wheel cylinders, new shoes and turned the drums. Got a nice firm brake pedal.

Jerry Forrester
07-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Today I drove him down the road a half mile or so (made it back with no problem). Stops nice and straight.

I didn't have the size tires (255-75R15) I wanted for the rear in stock but I did have some that were a bit bigger (10.5-31R15 truck tires) so I put them on. Very small amount of clearance inside and out , front and back.

N8N
07-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Jerry, I love the "custom" wheels. that's an awesome touch...

nate

mbstude
07-05-2010, 04:58 PM
It's sure be great if all your cars had a finish that nice!

Jerry Forrester
07-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Matt, I know the paint on Rustobaker has a few blemishes in it, but I have one of those little artist brushes and I am going to do the touch up any day now.
He'll look just fine, just you wait.

Jerry Forrester
07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Jerry, I love the "custom" wheels. that's an awesome touch...

nate

Thanks Nate.
I don't know what year these small hubcaps are from. I have only two of them so I need to find two more. Or find a set of four matching small Studebaker hubcaps.
Anybody have any to offer? Cheap!

Jerry Forrester
07-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Got the body, doors, rear quarters and trunk lid down to bare metal excepting the bondo in the rr quarter,

mbstude
07-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Lookin' good Jerry. Leo must be quite jealous.

Jerry Forrester
07-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Lookin' good Jerry. Leo must be quite jealous.
Thanks Matt.
I'm keeping the car cover on Leo so he cant see and doesn't know what's going on.
BTW, just talked to Tom. He's coming out one day next week.
Can you come up for a visit.
Another subject, do you have 4 matching small Stude hubcaps you can let go of? Must fit later Stude car wheels.

StudeMichael
07-22-2010, 03:10 PM
GM wire color codes? Why not Studebaker color wiring codes?

mbstude
07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks Matt.
I'm keeping the car cover on Leo so he cant see and doesn't know what's going on.
BTW, just talked to Tom. He's coming out one day next week.
Can you come up for a visit.
Another subject, do you have 4 matching small Stude hubcaps you can let go of? Must fit later Stude car wheels.

I'm planning to go up to Tom's in late August when he has his surgery. Too much going on right now to get away.

I don't have any hubcaps but my granddad might.

ROADRACELARK
07-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Jerry, are you looking for the early 60's ones that are aluminum, or the later ones, like 64, that are chrome?

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

55champion
07-22-2010, 05:26 PM
That car is going to be NICE.......

Jerry Forrester
07-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Jerry, are you looking for the early 60's ones that are aluminum, or the later ones, like 64, that are chrome?

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA
I prefer chrome.

mbstude
07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I prefer chrome.

:cool::cool:

ROADRACELARK
07-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Jerry, I have 4 that I think you would be pleased with. They're yours, all you have to do is come to the Chapter Annual Picnic a week from this coming Sunday. As
always, it's at Ft. Yargo State Park in Winder. Hopefully you can bring your wife as well. I'm pretty sure Tom and Maureen will be there.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

N8N
07-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I prefer chrome.

There's a shocker.

Jerry Forrester
07-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Jerry, I have 4 that I think you would be pleased with. They're yours, all you have to do is come to the Chapter Annual Picnic a week from this coming Sunday. As
always, it's at Ft. Yargo State Park in Winder. Hopefully you can bring your wife as well. I'm pretty sure Tom and Maureen will be there.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA
Heck, for 4 free hubcaps I'll try to borrow some gas money and me and OcrappyOne will just cruise on over.
See ya a week from Sunday.

Jerry Forrester
07-23-2010, 07:22 AM
there's a shocker.
<ggggggggggggggggggggggggg>

woodysrods
07-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi Jerry
I want more details on your front opening hood. I have a 53 hood on my 56 Power Hawk project. Liked the ppictures I saw on the Tech side of the forum.
Thanks
Brian

Jerry Forrester
07-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi Jerry
I want more details on your front opening hood. I have a 53 hood on my 56 Power Hawk project. Liked the ppictures I saw on the Tech side of the forum.
Thanks
Brian
'85 Buick Park Avenue hood hinge assy, including the hood rear catches. Cut everything apart, switch sides with the hinges, make a new cross bar between the hinges (that's what keeps the hood straight and inline when you are closing it) grind the Studebaker hood flanges at the rear-outer corners to where they are only about 3/16" (see pictures 23 thru 27) so they will clear the tops of the fenders and you are about 1/10 of the way there.
It's not an easy job and I don't suggest it to anyone that doesn't like challenges.

Jerry Forrester
07-29-2010, 06:10 PM
More progress.
Got some primer on the old heap today.

Slide show at:
http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/577972214QpdFiG?mediaPosition=40

55champion
07-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Looking good Jerry, can't wait to see it all Chromed up :)

Jerry Forrester
08-26-2010, 02:27 PM
It's been almost a month since I gave a progress report.
Life's been getting in the way of getting much done on Rustobaker, but I did manage to get the firewall, engine, suspension and front frame section cleaned and painted. As well as fabricating an AC compressor and alternator mounts.
Also made a new hard line from the fuel pump to the carb.
I know the engine isn't supposed to be black, but this car doesn't belong to the Studebaker Corporation, it belongs to me and I'll do it the way I want to. Also, the car was originally light blue and will be light blue again but the firewall is black and is going to stay black as long as I own it. <GGGGGGGGGGGGG>

55champion
08-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm with you on the black firewall, my Red 55 now has a black firewall.
Go for it and do it YOUR way...

woodysrods
08-26-2010, 05:16 PM
It's been almost a month since I gave a progress report.
Life's been getting in the way of getting much done on Rustobaker, but I did manage to get the firewall, engine, suspension and front frame section cleaned and painted. As well as fabricating an AC compressor and alternator mounts.
Also made a new hard line from the fuel pump to the carb.
I know the engine isn't supposed to be black, but this car doesn't belong to the Studebaker Corporation, it belongs to me and I'll do it the way I want to. Also, the car was originally light blue and will be light blue again but the firewall is black and is going to stay black as long as I own it. <GGGGGGGGGGGGG>What happened to the gold valve covers? And thanks Jerry I have my mynd made up that I am going to reverse open the hood as you have done.Gues I need to go junk yarding?? Anything else I need while I am there?
Brian
PS we aquired a 61 Hawk for my wife since we communicated last.

woodysrods
08-26-2010, 06:23 PM
'85 Buick Park Avenue hood hinge assy, including the hood rear catches. Cut everything apart, switch sides with the hinges, make a new cross bar between the hinges (that's what keeps the hood straight and inline when you are closing it) grind the Studebaker hood flanges at the rear-outer corners to where they are only about 3/16" (see pictures 23 thru 27) so they will clear the tops of the fenders and you are about 1/10 of the way there.
It's not an easy job and I don't suggest it to anyone that doesn't like challenges.Hi Jerry, back to the hood "switch sides with hinges"???? Buick hinges? Isn't the most important part of this the location of the hinges mounted to the hood & inner fender, and the exact location of the pivot point for the steady cross bar between the hinges. Remember I would like to use your knowledge and research time, rather than reinventing my own version. Imitation is the highest form of flattery!
Brian

woodysrods
08-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi Jerry
Just bumping this thread forward so you will see it. Bill and I are watching and waiting for your reply.
Good Roads
Brian

Jerry Forrester
08-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Jerry
Just bumping this thread forward so you will see it. Bill and I are watching and waiting for your reply.
Good Roads
Brian

First you have to cut all the excess metal from between the radiator cradle and the fender and weld in flat sheet (this is where the bottom hinge section goes). Remove the engine, install the hood and with the hinges in place decide where you need to weld the plate on the hood for the upper hinge section.

Bob Andrews
08-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Hey Jerry, what about poor ol' Leo?? Unloved??

woodysrods
08-28-2010, 01:27 AM
Just got all that area welded in. As I changed 56 Power Hawk fenders to 53 style fenders to run the 53 hood, grills. & front bumpers.
Please keep it coming!
Brian
Please note my Radiator does not lay back like that. Using the short 53 style rad mount. But, staight up & Down. My 61 Hawk has the taller mount but it leans forwad??
Brian

Jerry Forrester
08-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Just got all that area welded in. As I changed 56 Power Hawk fenders to 53 style fenders to run the 53 hood, grills. & front bumpers.
Please keep it coming!
Brian
Please note my Radiator does not lay back like that. Using the short 53 style rad mount. But, staight up & Down. My 61 Hawk has the taller mount but it leans forwad??
Brian

The only thing I can think of that raised area between the rad. and the fender is for is access to the top radiator cradle bolt. When keeping the radiator cradle in the original position, you'll have to leave an access hole for that bolt when you weld in the new metal.

Jerry Forrester
08-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Finished welding in the last piece of the passenger side floorboard this morning. I'm all done with the welding on that half of the floorboard.
Now I've got started on the driver's side. The driver's side has a bit more rust than the pass. side did, but it's the same amount of work, except about 3 sq. inches of the driveshaft tunnel next to the rear footwell.

(the shipping blanket under the car is just there for contrast in the picture. I do not have all the floors in my shop padded)

Jerry Forrester
08-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Hey Jerry, what about poor ol' Leo?? Unloved??
Leo is fast asleep and has no idea of what is going on in the rest of the shop.<GGGGG>

Bob Andrews
08-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Yup. That's why my Dad used to say cars were far better than horses- when you get bored with them you can ignore them 'cause the ain't eatin' nuthin:)

Jerry Forrester
08-30-2010, 01:00 PM
What happened to the gold valve covers?
The valve covers are now gold (again). Also the air cleaner and the oil fill/breather cap.

woodysrods
08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
By the looks of it the car is now gold too. You are really moving along with this car. Sandi's 61 Hawk body is un bolted and ready to come off the chassis tomorrow. Pictures to follow.
Brian

Jerry Forrester
08-31-2010, 06:23 AM
By the looks of it the car is now gold too. You are really moving along with this car. Sandi's 61 Hawk body is un bolted and ready to come off the chassis tomorrow. Pictures to follow.
Brian
Brian,
No, the car is still in Z-Chrome primer. It seems that digital cameras (mine at least) don't always show the true colors of the subjects.
I'm so mad, I could bite a 16 penny nail in two. I had painted my valve covers and oil fill cap with VHT SP132 Universal Gold paint (beautiful color). Ran out of paint when I was about half way through painting the air cleaner assy. None of the local stores had the VHT Universal Gold but I did find Dupli-Color Universal Gold. I finished painting the AC assy. with that and it was waaaaaaay off on the color match. I'm color blind but the air cleaner looked brown compared the the VC's. I could have then painted the VC's to match but they look so damned good with the VHT SP132. So I wait 'til Monday and order a couple cans of VHT SP132 with my regular weekly stock order. The order came in Monday afternoon and I was chomping at the bit to get the air cleaner repainted with the VHT. But, alas, it turned out to be the same shade as the Dupli-color. Now I don't know what to do.

BTW, throw all the info away you have gotten from me on the reverse hinged hood.
Use ELpolacko's design. http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/ELpolacko/1953-1962%20Studebaker%20Hawk/1955%20Speedster%20Stan%20Fisher/?action=view&current=IMG_2670.jpg
This guy is GOOD.
This pore ole country boy wont be posting any more pictures of my half-assed attempts at metal fabrication. <G>

Stephen Davis
08-31-2010, 12:34 PM
I looked at the photos of Elpolacko's reverse opening hood. I emailed him to ask if he had ever done a '53-54 hood, and if it would be something that could be produced as a kit. He replied that he had done two '53-54 hoods. He said that it took him about a week to do and at shop rates that put costs at $3K. He said it was not costs effective or simple. He also said that he could not see selling enough of these to produce a run.

woodysrods
09-04-2010, 12:01 AM
I looked at the photos of Elpolacko's reverse opening hood. I emailed him to ask if he had ever done a '53-54 hood, and if it would be something that could be produced as a kit. He replied that he had done two '53-54 hoods. He said that it took him about a week to do and at shop rates that put costs at $3K. He said it was not costs effective or simple. He also said that he could not see selling enough of these to produce a run. For what it is worth I like Jerry's hinge setup better. Just went and looked at an 85 Park Ave. The pieces look great and as if they would take very little modification. I don't want a big obtrusive set up like on Elpolako's.
Brian

Jerry Forrester
09-04-2010, 01:58 PM
For what it is worth I like Jerry's hinge setup better. Just went and looked at an 85 Park Ave. The pieces look great and as if they would take very little modification. I don't want a big obtrusive set up like on Elpolako's.
Brian

Brian, Since you insist in using the Park Ave. hinge set up.............. I have a '53 with the radiator still in the original position stored in the garage of one of my rental properties. I will try to get over there this weekend and get some pix of exactly where the bottom part of the hinge mounts. IIRC I used one of the original Stude bolt holes.

Jerry Forrester
09-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Brian, Since you insist in using the Park Ave. hinge set up.............. I have a '53 with the radiator still in the original position stored in the garage of one of my rental properties. I will try to get over there this weekend and get some pix of exactly where the bottom part of the hinge mounts. IIRC I used one of the original Stude bolt holes.

Here's one pic of the passenger side hinge on the Studelac (not a Bill Frick). On this installation I did not reverse the hinges like I did on the '53 Chevybaker. Not reversing the hinges requires you build a brace all the way across the hood for the upper hinge section to mount to. Reversing the hinges allows you to attach the upper hinge mount directly to a bracket welded to the edge of the hood. I like the full width brace idea better. Here's a link to the webshots album for the Studelac. The hood hinge pix are the last 9 in the album. Several duplicate hinge pictures I took with different camera settings and haven't had time to decide which ones to delete.
http://community.webshots.com/album/575614086oFkgkX?start=0

Jerry Forrester
09-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Jumping off topic from the Rustobaker to the Studelac, here's a pic of the fan shroud I fabbed for the Studelac. It's been a couple years since I had the Studelac back in the fab shop. I have it set up for a 500 Caddy and turbo 400 with my R&P set up and a was working on the reverse hood hinge when I got side tracked.
The small '53 Stude radiator may end up being too small to cool the big Caddy engine but I was going to try it and just switch sides with the upper hose connection.
The shroud is made to fit the 500 Caddy clutch fan. Half the fan inside the shroud. As it should be for optimum efficiency.

woodysrods
09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi Jerry
Sorry for hijacking your "Rustobaker" thread again. But I too got side tracked and missed your reponse to my questions. Thank you for the pictures. They are just what I was looking for, and now that I have the parts in hand everything is starting to make sence. Bought two sets as this looks like something I hope to do more than once or help some other C/K guy out. I just got back to my car today, and started with the hood coversion. You are my new Stude Bible. So much more I would like to discuss with you.
Rack for Sandi's 61. Tire sizes, etc. etc.
Please check out my "Chop or Not to Chop" Thread" and give me your comments.
Good Roads
Brian

Jerry Forrester
09-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Jerry
Please check out my "Chop or Not to Chop" Thread" and give me your comments.
Good Roads
Brian
I've never chopped a top. I've never owned a car with a chopped top.
IF I were to chop a C-K top I would keep the windshield stock size and lower the windshield by flattening out the cowl. Only lower the front of the top, maybe 1 1/2"

woodysrods
09-20-2010, 10:21 PM
That is exactly the plan Jerry! I think it could be as little as a 1" chop, as I have a vision of exactly how I want the side window to appear. I know the ones that I have seen have been a little too much for my liking.
Thanks for posting, and tomorrow I hope to have pictures of the hood progress.
Brian

Jerry Forrester
10-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Went down to the plastic supply house today.
Got a couple sheets of .093 thickness black ABS plastic.
Made the panels to go on the doors.
Might be able to do the rear side panels tomorrow.

Jerry Forrester
10-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Robert finished welding in the floorboard panels today. All that remains of this portion is cutting the master cylinder access hole and drilling the holes for the accelerator pedal.
Then I'll scuff it all down and coat it with roll on Hurculiner, from the dash liner all the way to the trunk latch.

kpcoupe
10-06-2010, 07:25 PM
how well does this abs plastic work for door panels? where can it be purchased??
love your posts!!

Went down to the plastic supply house today.
Got a couple sheets of .093 thickness black ABS plastic.
Made the panels to go on the doors.
Might be able to do the rear side panels tomorrow.

Jerry Forrester
10-11-2010, 11:46 AM
how well does this abs plastic work for door panels? where can it be purchased??
love your posts!!

A lot better than the UNwaterproof cardboard that has always been used in the past.
Doesn't shrink and doesn't warp.
Get it at Sabic Polymershapes,(used to be Cadillac Plastics) sabicpolymershapes.com $32 for a 4' X 8' sheet

r1lark
10-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I use the same stuff to replace the cardboard 'divider' between the trunk and passenger compartment.

Also toying with the idea of using it for the kick panels and the rear package tray cover -- supposedly it is paintable.

Jerry Forrester
10-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes, it is paintable although I always pad and cover mine.
I have all Rustobaker's panels made (including kick and package shelf) with the exception of the divider panel. Thats next. Maybe tomorrow. Gonna roll on some Hurculiner today.
BTY, they also have it in white. I will use that next time. It'll be much easier to draw on with a magic marker instead of the crayon I had to use on the black.

Jerry Forrester
10-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Rustobaker's 'T' strips came in today from Classic Enterprises. Got them installed with a lot of strip calk, seals everything up real nice.

http://inlinethumb31.webshots.com/46238/2780000910051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2780000910051977924TgyWhU)

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/32028/2858428390051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2858428390051977924AocSWj)

Got some other stuff done too. Heres a link to more progress pictures.
http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/577972214QpdFiG?mediaPosition=65

Jerry Forrester
10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Bed liner material going on the floors today.

http://inlinethumb32.webshots.com/47071/2212365770051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2212365770051977924vTYDDT)

irish
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Making some nice progress Jerry. I like the bedliner idea.

Joe

Jerry Forrester
10-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Making some nice progress Jerry. I like the bedliner idea.

Joe

I installed the new windlace last week.
Robert finally completed his hammer&dolly work on the roof today.
While I had a few minutes to devote to the Rustobaker, I installed the insulation in the roof.

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/38989/2126186260051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2126186260051977924oTLrHS)

For any newbies that hasn't seen the transformation of Rustobaker, here's a slideshow of all his progress...
http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/577972214QpdFiG

tutone63
10-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Looked at your pics, and out of a hat I thought of "Ralph" But that might not be your cup of tea. So I think along the lines of a bloodsucker as mentioned above, I like Nosferatu as well. :)

ozarkman
10-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Wow! You've come a long way!

Jerry Forrester
11-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Wow! You've come a long way!

Tech tip.

http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/28238/2003449320051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2003449320051977924jwghGK)

I usually charge big bucks for this kind of advice but because I'm such a nice guy, today it's free. <G>

Jerry Forrester
11-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Gonna get some white paint on the roof today.
That's James with the spray gun. I contracted with him to do the paint and body work. He's done work for me before and does excellent work, and he's quick.
That's the final coat of primer, one more sanding, then the top coat. No fancy stuff for this Stude, just single stage enamel.
Robert just doesn't have time. He's trying to get that '30 Cadillac Limo finished he's been working for seven years. I think the owner of that car is starting to get impatient. <G>

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/35310/2254620550051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2254620550051977924oxeANN)

Rustobaker Slide show....
http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/577972214QpdFiG?mediaPosition=87

Jerry Forrester
11-15-2010, 11:29 AM
WhoooHoooooooooo, we got a WHITE roof.

http://inlinethumb58.webshots.com/1529/2706608360051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2706608360051977924RLivap)

James had never shot any of this $32.95 gal. ( a real CASO paint job) Tractor Supply Valspar tractor & implement paint before. Evidently you have to wait longer between coats or it'll sag and run. It's got a couple runs just above the pass. 1/4 window. We'll give it a while to set and then wet sand and recoat.

jclary
11-15-2010, 12:40 PM
WhoooHoooooooooo, we got a WHITE roof.

James had never shot any of this $32.95 gal. ( a real CASO paint job) Tractor Supply Valspar tractor & implement paint before. Evidently you have to wait longer between coats or it'll sag and run. It's got a couple runs just above the pass. 1/4 window. We'll give it a while to set and then wet sand and recoat.

Did you guys spring for the hardener for the paint? I wonder if that would speed up the drying time, decrease the propensity for runs, and increase durability. From the picture, the gloss looks excellent.

After looking at those exposed light fixtures in your homemade spray booth...can I take out a life insurance policy on James and place my name as beneficiary?:)

Bob Andrews
11-15-2010, 09:16 PM
You are my hero, Jerry! I look forward to the day when I can get back to doing a job like that.

benaslopoke
11-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Jerry,, What happened to the 53 Chevybaker Starlite Coupe that the guy at the feed store on Bankhead and Hwy. 5 had there in Douglasville?? You know , the store with the horse on the roof..

Ben Barfield

Jerry Forrester
11-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Jerry,, What happened to the 53 Chevybaker Starlite Coupe that the guy at the feed store on Bankhead and Hwy. 5 had there in Douglasville?? You know , the store with the horse on the roof..

Ben Barfield

Ben, I know of the car, but never saw it. The store, Turner Feed, is still there but I know nothing of the owners or the car.

Jerry Forrester
11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Couple days ago I disassembled the speedo and guage housings, Most of the original florescent orange paint was flaked off the needles and the semi gloss black paint inside the housings was stained and nasty.
All the letters and numbers seemed to be in serviceable shape so I cleaned and repainted the needles with florescent orange and resprayed the semi gloss black parts. Also replaced the bezels with newly rechromed ones.
Yesterday I re-assembled everything.
Here's what they looked like before....
http://inlinethumb37.webshots.com/44004/2896687700051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2896687700051977924QyCFZC)

Here's what they look like now.

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/44755/2505749620051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2505749620051977924oBIcuF)

woodysrods
11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Jerry
Pretty soon there won't be any rust left on the "Rustobaker"!
You are making me envious, as I have not seen my Studebaker projects in the last 4 weeks. Just too busy in the shop , farm, and new shop construction.
Keep up the good work, and check out some of the feed back from my Rack & Pinion Testimonials thread. We are getting some good info here and I would like to forward some of the e-mails I have recieved on the subject.
Good Roads
Brian

Jerry Forrester
11-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Progress is slow, but steady.

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/10054/2467216910051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2467216910051977924igBUZJ)

jclary
11-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Progress is slow, but steady.

Much better to be slow and steady than... half-fast (repeat that 3 times quickly!)

Chucks Stude
11-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Love the shower cap on the roof! Nice touch.

ozarkman
12-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Jerry, I must have missed the reason...but why did you leave the back window in? Doesn't it need to come out to do the headliner anyway?

woodysrods
12-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Wish ours were progressing as steadily as yours. We have had to take a bit of a "Work on Customer Cars" break. So the Studes are seeing very little progress here.
Keep up the good work! I will try to catch up before Mexico!
Good Roads
Brian

Jerry Forrester
04-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Making progress. Not much, but a little.
http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/45183/2323922260051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2323922260051977924QnPYQv)

Full album........ http://rides.webshots.com/album/577972214QpdFiG

52-fan
04-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Little by little that car is developing into a really sweet ride. I love these updates.

woodysrods
04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Glad to see this posted up again. Gives me even more incentive to catch up.
I have been working on Sandi's 61 a lot lately and soon it will be time to post pictures of our progress.
New target date is "Drive your Studebaker Day" Very ambitious target.
Keep up the good work Jerry.
Good Roads
Brian

Bob54
04-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Hello Jerry,
We have DynaMatted my 54, but were told not to use it on the underside of the roof. Comments were, if in a hot climate, it would separate and drop onto the headliner. What product did you use for your roof?
Thanks

I installed the new windlace last week.
Robert finally completed his hammer&dolly work on the roof today.
While I had a few minutes to devote to the Rustobaker, I installed the insulation in the roof.

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/38989/2126186260051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2126186260051977924oTLrHS)

For any newbies that hasn't seen the transformation of Rustobaker, here's a slideshow of all his progress...

Jerry Forrester
04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Hello Jerry,
We have DynaMatted my 54, but were told not to use it on the underside of the roof. Comments were, if in a hot climate, it would separate and drop onto the headliner. What product did you use for your roof?
Thanks
Air encapsulated plastic with foil on both sides. Look in the insulation aisle of Lowes Building Material big box store. Clean the underside of the roof real good and install the insulation with 3M Spray Adhesive following the directions on the can and it'll never come down.

Also, got the trunk lid gasket glued on Monday and half the door gaskets glued on yesterday.
Progress,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, a little at a time.

Jerry Forrester
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Got the new vent window seals from Bill Fennessey. Tried to install them without instructions (my motis operendi).(sp)
Started with the top end.
When I got to the bottom end, the seal was at least 2 inches too long.
Pulled it back out and started with the bottom end (as if that would make a difference). The seal was at least 2 inches too long.
Pulled it back out and started where the pivot pin goes through the seal. The top end was at least 1 1/2 inches too long and the bottom was at least 1/2 inch too long.
Called Bill Fennessey. He is a very nice, friendly, elderly gentleman. In the nicest way he could, he told me I was an idiot and I didn't know what I was doing (I agreed with him) and he had sold thousands of those seals and no one else had ever had a problem with them.
The then told me the correct way to install the seals.
Put the seal in the channel where the pivot pin goes through.
Put the end of the seal in place.
Put the other end of the seal in place.
In between the pivot pin and the ends, the seal will be bowed out away from the channel (due to it being too long) (not really).
Work these bowed out sections of the seals into the channel and you're done.
I did and it did and I now have vent windows installed in Phoenix (the Studebaker formally known as Rustobaker).
http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/19855/2688320150051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2688320150051977924rYmIie)

I think I'll put these Bill Fennessey instructions in the tech section of the forum so that they'll be easier for someone to find using the search feature.

Slide show of all the progress on Phoenix here

JRoberts
04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Jerry, my Daddy used to tell me that you had to be smarter than the machine to work it. I found real quick that I wasn't all that smart. I don't know about you! ;) :)

Jerry Forrester
05-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Making progress, little by little.

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/47914/2807520300051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2807520300051977924mIbkmv)

Slide show.......... http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/577972214QpdFiG

Studedude
05-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Lookin' good, Jerry! Wish I could come 'n hep ya, the project looks somewhat familiar. <G>

Jerry Forrester
05-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Wish I could come 'n hep ya. <G>

I wish you could too. I'm missing out on a lot of lawn chair time. I've gotten to the age where I'm better at giving directions than doing the work myself. <GGG>

Jerry Forrester
05-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Jerry, I must have missed the reason...but why did you leave the back window in? Doesn't it need to come out to do the headliner anyway?
You do not have to take out the windshield and the back glass. That's what they make contact adhesive for. <GGG> That, plus the fact the '55's, as opposed to the later C-K's, have a rear glass garnish molding and with the rear headliner bow retainers, there's not much stress on the rear edge of the headliner.

Earlier this week I installed the headliner and after all the garnish moldings are installed I will steam it and remove all the wrinkles.

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/48429/2672655620051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2672655620051977924VOWRux)

Wednesday I also managed to make up one kick panel and install it.
http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/45976/2027857210051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2027857210051977924arhRzA)

Then yesterday fabbed and installed one rear inside quarter panel. Notice how I laid the pleats at an angle ala "53-4 C-K panels.
http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/46351/2412907810051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2412907810051977924ZiAEXO)

All the interior came from JDP and so far everything seems to be top quality. The headliner, carpet and seat covers were pre sewn and the light blue flat vinyl and the dark blue roll&pleated vinyl are all flat sheets.

Jerry Forrester
05-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Yesterday I got the passenger side kick panel done.

http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/44937/2773148520051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2773148520051977924llofAO)

Today I finished and installed my driver's door panel. It's really starting to come together. <GGG>

http://inlinethumb15.webshots.com/48334/2039307670051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2039307670051977924OZWUeL)

52-fan
05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
That is going to be a fine ride. Do I understand that you got the material for the door and side panels from JDP and then made them yourself?

Jerry Forrester
05-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Do I understand that you got the material for the door and side panels from JDP and then made them yourself?
I got the vinyl to cover the panels with from JDP. The plastic I made the panels ( http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2510655220051977924BvVtNE ) out of came from what used to be Cadillac Plastics.
No sewing involved, just glue.

Jerry Forrester
05-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Making progress daily.

http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/46022/2547240360051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2547240360051977924lNMtGz)

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/47091/2161218370051977924S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2161218370051977924sruiSD)