Hagerty Tries To Redeem Itself With Nice Hawk Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagerty Tries To Redeem Itself With Nice Hawk Article

I like the way the say "Cars That Matter" about '56-'64 Hawks...
    (Nice writeup Max Howard!)

(for full article, go to)
    http://www.carsthatmatter.com/blog/2010/15/1956-1961-studebaker-hawk/

(snippet)

Posted by Max Howard

The Studebaker Hawk series appeared in 1956, right about the time Detroit's Big Three began building the "luxo-barges" that would define the American automotive landscape for the next three decades. With its svelte, athletic, and wholly unique Raymond Loewy-inspired styling and serious available power, the Hawk represented a real departure from its contemporaries.

But despite its unique qualities and impressive (for Studebaker, at least) first-year sales of 19,165 units, the Hawk was no match for the financial woes that concurrently plagued the Studebaker Corporation, and for the final production years of Studebaker in America (1962 to 1964) the Hawk was a much changed car after the brilliant redesign by Brooks Stevens.
    Origins of the Studebaker Hawk

Raymond Loewy Associates spent two decades penning the automobiles of the Studebaker Corporation, and as a result the Indiana carmaker became known for its outside-the-box designs. This included new styles immediately following World War II, when other American automakers had to rely on pre-war designs.
    By 1953, Studebaker was into its second century of production, and the company introduced the Starliner hardtop, a "Loewy coupe" that created quite a stir; it would set the tone for Studebaker automobiles for the remainder of the decade.
    When the Hawk debuted in 1956, available models included, from least exclusive and decadent to most, the Flight Hawk, Power Hawk, Sky Hawk, and Golden Hawk.
    The cars had a long, low stance and upright, aggressive radiator, with subtle rear fins. Flight Hawk and Power Hawk models were pillared coupes, while the Sky Hawk and Golden Hawk were pillarless hardtops.
    Engines in the lower ranks included a 185-ci L-head six-cylinder, a 259-ci V8, and a 289-ci V8. Power in the top-line Golden Hawk came from Packard's 352-cubic-inch iron V8 engine, which delivered 275 horsepower and an almost-garish 380 ft-lb of torque. It was enough to propel the car quickly, and get the Golden Hawk to a top speed of 120 mph, though the heavy engine biased weight distribution and could overwhelm the light chassis at times. Period car magazine road test reviews were mixed.
    Studebaker Hawk Evolution

For 1957, Studebaker cut the lineup in half, with the Golden Hawk carrying over and a new pillared Silver Hawk model replacing the Flight Hawk, Power Hawk, and Sky Hawk.
    Minor changes included revised styling to the tail fins, which made them more pronounced, though still not as outspoken as Studebaker's rivals. Not-so-subtle changes took place underhood, where the Packard lump was dropped in favor of a belt-driven, supercharged 289-ci V8. Though power remained at 275 hp, torque was down and the car lost some grunt.

Studebaker continued to decline as a carmaker in America, and few changes took place for 1958, though a Packard-branded Hawk did appear. The car wore a Packard-ish nose on a Loewy body. The two looks didn't quite suit each other, and a meager 588 Packard Hawks were manufactured.
    Packard disappeared from the carbuilding landscape in 1959, but the Silver Hawk remained, detuned to either a 170-ci six-cylinder engine or the 259-ci V8. The following year, 1960, the 225-hp 289-ci V8 returned as standard, as did finned drum brakes, which had been absent for a year. The car was slightly renamed again, as well, now being referred to simply as the Studebaker Hawk.
    For 1961, Studebaker outfitted the Hawk with a 4-speed floor-shift manual transmission which, if nothing else, completed the Hawk's sporting nature. Production dwindled to fewer than 4,000.
    End of the Studebaker Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

They sure blew it on the GT didn't they?
    Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

I love the GT,but the Silver Hawk is my favorite. NT
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Since we are voting for our favorite model of Hawk.... My favorite is the 1956 Golden Hawk. I may not ever own one, but I think they look amazing.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I like that, "trend setters".
          Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
          Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
          Lizella, GA

Comment

It doesn't matter how many times I read the "Hawk " story, I love it every time. Love both coupes and hardtops. 56 Golden Hawk and 61 Hawks are my two favorites!
            Although I think they look Great! I still love the sleek design of the 53 hood, grill, trunk, and bumpers. So that is the treatment I have chosen for my 56 Power Hawk Project.
            Good Roads
            Brian
            Brian Woods
            woodysrods@shaw.ca
            1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

My favorite Hawk would be the one a guy came by the shop last Friday and was telling me about. He said his boss had a '55 Golden Hawk that would run 140 MPH. THAT's the one I want. <GGG>
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
              X