Original Spark Plug Wires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Spark Plug Wires?

My recently acquired 62 Lark 6 cyl has brown spark plug wires that say "Packard radio sup" on them. they look to be in pretty good shape. Are these original wires?

In the world of "Corporate Family Trees," you would be hard pressed to keep up with the changes, direction, or just what you'll find. Somewhere in my jumbled and cluttered memory is that "Packard Wire" was and still could be a major supplier of automotive wiring products. I think I even have a spool of "Packard" wire in my "Man Cave." If I had a set of plug wires that had Packard on them I would be pleased to show them off as long as they were performing well. However, I would replace them in a "skinny minute" if they were not delivering the desired results. As to whether they were supplied with the car originally, I would say it is possible but I really don't know.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

There should be a date code on the wires, it should look something like 2Q62 if they are the original wires. I remember the wires that were on my father's 62 Hawk when it was new were Autolite and they were a reddish brown color. Bud

Comment

If they are the original red wires, look under one of the distributor boots (where the surface of the wire has been protected) and you will see they were actually even more red when new.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I don't remember the original '63-'64 dark red wires as having "Packard" on them for Packard Wire. I believe that you have replacements. The wires do last longer on a six than on a V8.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originals on the '62 prototypes:

Comment

Yes those are the Correct ORIGINAL Prestolite 7mm cables with the Mfg. date on them. They were MAROON.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

How do you decipher the date code? Is it week and year?

Comment

See Bud's post above.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Plug wires have the date code figured in quarters, for example a wire with 1Q63 would have been produced in the first quarter of 1963. Bud

Comment

What is the source of these pictures?
                      Tim K.
                      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

My 64 Commander Wagon had the original plug wires. Look just like the larger pics above. Car had 32,000 on it. Now sold and in a private collection in FL. It must of been the heat or the motor or dirt flying around that caused them to look almost like a brown/red color.

Comment

Originally posted by GTtim View Post
                          What is the source of these pictures?
                          Barnlark's pictures are of one of the Avanti-inspired Stude prototypes that are in the National Museum. Those cars have very little miles on the clock, if any.

Comment

Working...
                          X