PDA

View Full Version : Bucket seat "adapter" for C/K bodies..

tempestan
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure what the proper term is or the appropriate part number.........but what I'm looking for is the "adapter" which Studebaker used for installing bucket seats in C/K bodies. It is my understanding that the "adapter" fits over the transmission tunnel and is attached in some manner. Not sure, but it my understanding that they were first used in '61. Can any of you advise me what this "adapter" looks like and what the part number may be. If someone could provide a photo image, that would be great.

Additionally, if any of you have one for sale, advise.....what is a reasonable price for this "adapter", if one can be found. It is my understanding that the "adapter" is unique to C/K bodies.....so those from a Lark or other is not a "fit".

Thanks, in advance for any help any of you can offer me.

tempestan

31Streetrod
06-17-2010, 07:28 PM
There were 3 different inner track mounting plates for the C &Ks. P/N 1334734....60S, 60V, 61S, 61V C body. P/N 1344598...62S, 62V K body. P/N 1355726... 63S, 63V, 64S, 64V K body with Powershift transmission (floor shift). I have a NOS 1355726 I will sell for $100.00 plus actual shipping charge. This mounting plate can be made to fit in any of the C & K bodies.

Mr Mike
06-17-2010, 07:33 PM
tempestan - you are correct about it fitting over the tranny hump. there are 3 different part numbers; 1334734 for the 60/61 coupes, 1344598 for the 62 GT Hawks and 1355726 for the 63/64 GT's with auto trans floor shift according to the body parts catalogue. These are stamped sheet metal and screw onto the main floor. Studebaker had 2 different types of singe seats in those years. One was called "individual" and the other "bucket". The individual seats have wider cushions than the bucket seats.
You have to have the correct adapter piece to match the seats year wise as the seat mounts are different and won't match up. With the individual seats, there isn't enough room between them to mount the center console though I have seen it mounted on the tunnel under the dash. I replaced the bench seat in my 60 Hawk with "individual" seats from a 61 and it worked well.
Mr Mike

woodysrods
06-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Very interesting! Doues anyone have pictures of the seats "Individual vs Bucket"????
Good Roads
Brian

PackardV8
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Adapters in good condition are pretty hard to find because like any sheet metal on the floor of a Stude, they rusted to hell and gone.

thnx, jack vines

JGK 940
06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Very interesting! Doues anyone have pictures of the seats "Individual vs Bucket"????
Good Roads
Brian

"Individual" seats from '61 in red; bucket seats with console from '63 in tan. All pics courtesy of eBay listings.

bezhawk
06-17-2010, 09:41 PM
61 bucket seats on the Hawks were wider than 62-up and were also True bucket seats. They had no console.
62 and up had the upholstered fiberglass console/compartment between the seats

COMMANDERPINK1
06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Were any of these the same as the Larks?

Tom

StudeRich
06-17-2010, 10:38 PM
To my knowledge there were no '62-'64 Hawks built with split Bench Seats as Brian is asking about, there are many in Larks & Lark Types which MAYBE could be adapted to a HAWK ("Adapter") Center Tunnel Seat Bracket to fit in a Hawk.

The '61 Hawk Wide Buckets in Pic #2 that JGK calls "Individual Seats" are not bench seats, they are buckets for '61 Hawk only.

However the '59-'60 and possibly special ordered '61 Hawks did have the Split Bench available to be ordered in Standard or Reclining, so THOSE brackets should fit any Hawk floorpan.

JGK 940
06-17-2010, 11:13 PM
The '61 Hawk Wide Buckets in Pic #2 that JGK calls "Individual Seats" are not bench seats, they are buckets for '61 Hawk only.

Well, color me purple... I learn something new every day. Thanks, Rich!

candbstudebakers
06-18-2010, 12:35 AM
I have all three in the shop..Bob

barnlark
06-18-2010, 01:05 AM

However the '59-'60 and possibly special ordered '61 Hawks did have the Split Bench available to be ordered in Standard or Reclining, so THOSE brackets should fit any Hawk floorpan.

Can't include that '59 in that " '59-'60", Rich. There weren't any individual (split) bench seats for Studebaker in 1959, right? Those only became available for the 1960 model year. The '60 bracket will work, though, yes. I keep my original Lark version of that bracket under my bench seat...just in case I want to go back to the individual recliners.

tempestan
06-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Really appreciate all the responses and info. I'm putting together a '55 C body and will be using non-Studebaker buckets. So, with that in mind is there any advantage to any of the apparent 3 part numbers referenced, regarding strength, or fit, size, or any other consideration? I've never seen the part(s) that I'm inquiring about.........assume it is designed to provide support for one leg of the bucket seat, in some manner in the area of the rear seat passenger's foot well. Was this piece bolted/screwed to the floor pan/hump, or welded?

Thx, tempestan

Mr Mike
06-18-2010, 03:05 PM
That being the case, the adapter probably won't do you any good as it was designed to fit Studebaker seats. The inside legs on the Studebaker seats were shorter than the outside legs to make use of the adapter.
Mr Mike

StudeRich
06-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Tempestan; If you read Mr. Mike's THIRD post from the top, you will learn the answer to your question & just about all you ever will need to know about this Part!

No it does not go into the rear seat footwell, just on the tunnel, it has floating nutplates that will allow some adjustment of the inner legs of the Studebaker Seats to fit well and be level. As said above, not much help with Brand X seats, you need to build your own for those. The biggest thing you will miss is the (2) "T" slotted holes for the Console, which probably won't fit between other seats anyway.

tempestan
06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Actually, surprised to learn that the adapter doesn't fit into the rear foot well, but will still will help me if I can get my hands on one for ideas and probably some welding fabrication skills. Nothing I can't modify, to fit whatever I determine is best to use. Not really concerned about the console issue. If I find that I'm not happy w/the adapter, I may not use it. I've seen some pretty neat 60/40 seats that are much less expensive at bone yards than buckets. Shouldn't be a problem finding something narrow enough for the Stude.

Thx, to each of you..

tempestan

StudeRich
06-18-2010, 05:19 PM
That is true, the Volare, Aspen, Diplomat, Fifth Avenue, La Barron, Ford Granada, maybe even Chrysler Cordoba's are narrow enough to fit, just NOT full sized 70's cars like LTD, Caprice, huge width cars.

Some of these Chrysler products had those large fold down center arm rests that simulated Bucket seats when down.