52 Grill Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 Grill Wanted

There's going to be a time this summer when this 13 year project wraps up and this old hardtop hits the road.
    The probelm is at end of a project the budget is shot and I have to make a few compromises.
    I have all the grill pieces, but the rechrome bill on the pot metal is too much. And I have already nixed the idea of filling and painting the grill. Terrible chrome is still better than a painted grill.

So basically I'm putting the feelers out there to the Stude community to see who has any serviceable grill pieces for sale. I touched base with a few vendors, but maybe the forum can turn up something for me.

By serviceable I mean something not too pitted that will take some shine. You can see by these pictures, almost anything would be better than what I have. My top bar is so bad it's turned green and even steel wool won't remove it. (I do have 1 good piece, the passenger side end cap.)
    Attached Files

It will be a few days before I can get to it, but I will check my 52 stash and see what I can do. I would like to see that car on the road.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks!
      Taking the family on vacation next week, so if you find anything, drop me a line. I will reply...but it may be a few days.
      After vacation going to get serious about getting the car done. No matter what, even with my grill. But she'll be a very pretty girl with BAD teeth.

Comment

There are a few that show up on eBay from time to time, ALL will need to be plated! This is the "korean chrome" clear (probably lacquer) sprayed over nickel plating, and the chrome does not last. Find the best "pit free" pieces you can find and get a quote on plating. I have had great luck with Librandi's Plating in Pa. but they are NOT cheap!

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Call Bob Peterson at 510 266 2522.

nibbs53.

Comment

I have some extra 52 pieces. I'll try to find them and let you know what I have. NT
            Neil Thornton

Comment

I think the Korean War chrome was coppered then chromed, skipping the nickel intermedium. Then it got a clear-coat. Once someone polished off the clear-coat, deterioration was rapid. A re-chromed '52 grill is a pricey thing of beauty.

Art Reede and his '52;
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Yes Brad, it is!! I had mine done over 10 years ago, with 3 of the 4 pieces being NOS, it was still in the 1K range! But, it sure looks good!!

Jim
                "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                their Memorials!

Comment

Hi all - bumping this back up. I'm back from a nice family vacation. Time to work on the Stude.
                  There were 3 grill pieces on ebay a month ago, I only won 1 of them. It's the only decent piece I have. I'm still looking. I'll call Bob Peterson for sure.

I was happy with what J&P plating did for me on the headlight rings. But rechroming any grill piece is simply NOT going to happen right now. I'll be happy with anything I can find, on the top bar especially. I'm not sure I can use the one I have, it's pretty much disintegrating. The grill ties the front end together. If not for that I'd consider running without one entirely.

Comment

I haven't forgotten about you. My daughter has been moving and digging into the garage has been on hold. I remember very well trying to find a usable top bar and that was 30 years ago. Of course, no forum or eBay back then.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Michidan I feel your pain, my 52 grill top bar is broken as is one of the two-bar elements behind the grill fins. All the cast chrome is pitted too (no surprise). I am missing all but three pieces of the belt-line/rear window cast chrome too. Hope one of your friends can hook you up.
                      Last edited by fatboylust; 06-29-2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Michidan I feel your pair
                        I hope that was a slip of the fingers on the keyboard. Otherwise, I think Michidan could file a sexual harassment lawsuit. If he wins he will have the money he needs to re-chrome his grill
                        John
                        1950 Champion
                        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                        Holdrege NE

Comment

Dan- That driver side corner piece you were interested in (when I posted an eye cabbage photo), I still have it, but I don't think it's all that great. I had a '52 Commander 4dr that I used grille pieces from several cars, and the stuff I have left is pretty well pitted. I will look in my shed in case there's something I forgot.
                          Bruce

Comment

Since you are looking for another grill regardless, why not consider preparing your grill for paint and having a professional spray one of the new chrome colored paint systems on it?

I have seen other cars done that way on television and here in Michigan and while it does not look as good as brand new chrome, it does look better than old pitted chrome.

Comment

What about a chrome powder coat job? That might be a reasonable alternative to plating. I'm 99.8% sure I'm getting a '52, but not for about 6 months or so, but I'll look at them for you when I get it.
                              Dylan Wills
                              Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                              1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                              1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                              1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
                              X