Orphan of the day 6-15 1934 LandCruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the day 6-15 1934 LandCruiser

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Great way to start the morning! Nothing like head light pods and fat fenders. Thanks for posting. By the way...how are your eyes today? I recall after my cataract surgery thinking it was like looking through newly cleaned windows! Everything looked brighter and the colors more vibrant.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hard to type right now with a patch over one eye. but am going back to the Dr. in about an hour and he will remove it.. write more about it later today.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Great car, thanks for posting

Comment

Beautiful car! Love it. Just catching up on older posting and found this interesting, as I had cataract surgery TODAY. Now the room doesn't seem like one of the light bulbs is burned out!
          Dennis

Comment

Gorgeous car! At first glance it reminded me of a Chrysler Airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
              Man!... If you are serious about that...then maby you need your eyes checked. The pod head lights, swept back grille, flowing front and rear fenders look very little like the Airflow. The airflow was a unique car for its time, but those stubby rounded features look like a chub compared to the Studebaker.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Man!... If you are serious about that...then maby you need your eyes checked. The pod head lights, swept back grille, flowing front and rear fenders look very little like the Airflow. The airflow was a unique car for its time, but those stubby rounded features look like a chub compared to the Studebaker.
                I DID say "first glance" <G> I think it's the rear skirts...

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
                  The car pictured:

A Chrysler Airflow:

You be the judge on the resemblance. This illustrates why I make it a practice to check reference sources prior to posting in order to prevent looking foolish in hindsight.... I will leave it to others to point out the myriad of obvious differences (starting with the grille, recessed headlights, hood louvers, 2 piece windshield, etc.).
                  Last edited by Collection Doctor; 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM. Reason: Replace Airflow picture

Comment

Beautiful! When I was young, I always wanted an Art Deco car when I grew up. As lovely as this car is, I think I like the 1935 version even just a little bit better. One thing is just odd to my way of thinking, though. The wooden spoke wheels seem to be more appropriate to an older car. I would have thought that painted steel wheels, with pinstripes, or just streamlined Art Deco hub caps would suit the lines better, like the ones on that Chrysler Airstream. The one thing that is missing from the Studebaker LC, is to have some sort of phared-in headlights, or body recessed headlights. I think is was the Peugeot 202 or 203 that put the headlights *behind* the long grill, which solved that styling problem and kept the Art Deco lines intact. An alternative look would have been the Pierce-Arrow style. If Studebaker hade still owned P-A in 1934, then it could perhaps have been imitated for the junior line. The LC was still much better looking as a car than the Airflow, which I have always thought looked too much like a cartoon sketch. My opinion only...

Comment

Actually produced after the success of the Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow show car while P-A was owned by Studebaker.

Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X