Vintage Truck Mag. Studebaker cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Truck Mag. Studebaker cover

This months Vintage Truck Magazine cover truck is the 1963 cab forward prototype. Several pages of pictures and write up inside.
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Looks like I'll have to hit the news stand next time I go into town.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Here's the article, complete with the cover picture....
      Jeff

(as a side note... You can save that 'flip file' to your 'puter, too..)
      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-15-2010, 02:03 PM.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I am 99.9% certain that the dash gauge cluster in the prototype is the same unit that is in my original 1957 International Harvester A-100 pickup. I wonder if they used any other International Harvester parts....

If Studebaker wanted to sell more pickups, all they had to do was build a pickup bed that matched the Champ cab. Is bad management to blame for the lack of sensible decisions?
        Last edited by Milaca; 06-15-2010, 03:34 PM.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Didn't someone opine that the rear doors on Bo's crew cab Diesel prototype are also IH? Weren't the IH and Studebaker factories both in Indiana? You may be on to something, Brent.

Comment

They have a factory in Fort Wayne Indiana and Chicago Illinois. I can take a picture of my IH gauge cluster and share here but I'm certain that its identical. I think that IH quit using that gauge cluster around 1963.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

IHC had a plant in Fort wayne..
              Probably a better connection would have been the Budd Stamping Company.
              They stamped most of the sheet metal for Studebaker (and a lot of other manufacturers)
              Budd has a long history in rail and vehicular manufacturing...(designed the Chrysler airflow, etc)
              http://www.workshopoftheworld.com/nicetown/budd.html
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sure is a homely looking thing. I doubt sales would have justified production. Too bad that money wasn't spent on upgrades for the pickups.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Respectfully disagree about the looks.I think it's so funky it's cool.
                  My first thought was it would be neat to recreate it
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Funky or not, in the sales climate of the day I don't think it would have generated many sales. As a Studebaker person I might have tried one, but I don't think many sales would have been captured from the other companies customer pool.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X