PDA

View Full Version : Story of the Stolen `36 Dictator Vent Wings.....

SamStude
06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
I never thought in a million years I would ever get ripped off at a Stude meet. Espiecially my vent wings, which were not in the best shape, so I had made arrangements to have them duplicated while I was at the meet, since I wasnt having the car judged. But they are a hassle to take off(you need a 2 foot screwdriver to clear the angle of the door to get to the bottom screws), and I got distracted by other last minute priorities before we left, so I let it go for now.I had parked the car on the street row, right next to the water tent Monday night, and thats whwere the car sat till Wednesday night, where I was instructed to move it to the show position, in the first row, under some incredible bright lights, with 6 feet of empty space all around. By the time I went to the car Thursday morning June 3rd, after the judges meeting, they had been carefully removed. I figure it had to take at least 20 minutes to remove them, and the way the car was exposed to everything, I find that incredible.The whole situation was wierd.A person had inquired to one of the outside vendors "if they had a set of wings like on the `36". A guy was caught Wednesday evening messing around my car by Security, but told the guard,"dont worry, its my car". No ID, no badge, no proof.They let him walk off. The police got prints off the driver`s side glass (the thief had time to clean the pass` side glass) and later on I heard the security cameras caught the whole thing on tape. But it stops here.The security company wont show me the pictures,(though I heard a reserve officer has been showing the pictures off around town), and the Glendale police have basically blown it off, a reserve officer telling me I was "lucky" that it has only been a week that they looked ay the case, & it might be "months or years" before anything happens, they get "hundreds" of reports a day! Ive been basically told by all involved Im on my own.To that end Im very apprieciative of the Stude members who have gone out of their way to help Rhonda & I out. I need anyone out there who hears anything to let me or the Glendale police (623) 930-3000,case #10-14461. I thank all those who have shown concern,or who have listened for shows like the one in Sacto. Hopefully some Stude member out there will catch site of my Vent wings,( they are so rare I cant see someone magically appearing with a set at this time).Btw the part number is AC-361, they were only made for `36 Presidents and Dictators.If everybody spreads this around everywhere, maybe they will turn up. In the meantime, if someone has a set I can have copied, i would love to hear from them.
Thanks for all the support!
Sam Bailey (562)522-5112 rsbailey2@verizon.net

wolfie
06-14-2010, 01:53 PM
It sucks that this kind of thing would happen at a Drivers Club meet. Ive heard my whole life about the squeaky wheel getting the grease, What does everyone think of the idea of calling the Glendale police and requesting that a copy of the video be made available to us ? Times that request by the 200 or so people that frequent this forum in a day and I am willing to gamble that they (police) would take another look at the situation and give in to our request. Arent Cheifs of Police and Sherriffs still elected? There arent that many people that would steal hard to remove Studebaker parts and I feel like someone here would reccognize them. Just my thoughts on the matter. Steve

Gunslinger
06-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Sheriffs are elected...Chiefs of Police are appointed by the mayor, county head, governor, etc., of whatever political entity they serve. To that end, Sheriffs are answerable to the people...the voters. Chiefs of Police are answerable to the Mayor, county head, governor, whatever.

This really sucks. I used to be in law enforcement and I know agencies prioritize reports of crime...violent crimes generally get first attention, then property crimes. That doesn't take into account political pressure which occurs to some degree, overtime restrictions on payroll due to budgets, etc.

I'm not making excuses for what law enforcement does and doesn't do...without serial numbers on property to track (Studebaker wing windows aren't likely to end up in a pawn shop), plus the victim is an out of towner who doesn't have a stake in the locality, many agencies simply won't place a priority on this.

I'm not blaming law enforcement for the state of affairs...it's simply reality. When you get down to it, it's the fault of the thief who counts on lack of police pursuit of the crime and that gives him the confidence of his getting away with it.

Maynard
06-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Contacting the department may bump the case, but having access to the video is probably a waste of time. The image will be grainy, and it may not be continous, but intermittent. I know we see them clean up video on CSI all the time, but I think that's mostly Hollywood fiction.

clonelark
06-14-2010, 02:53 PM
So sorry you lost your wind wings, I feel your pain. I wasn't at Glendale, but i has a new R2 Dave T Bow carb stolen at a Tulsa meet. Have a suspect in mind. But can'tdo anything about it. Hope things turn out for you.

wolfie
06-14-2010, 02:58 PM
The image will be grainy, and it may not be continous, but intermittent.

Agreed, but all we really need is one fair pic to establish if it is someone we do or do not know. Steve

Mark57
06-14-2010, 03:25 PM
While I will be the first one to agree that this discussion should not even be necessary, sadly in this day and age, this kind of thievery is all too common. Sam & Rhonda, you have my empathy - been there myself on occasion.:mad:

I am curious what the point is of having security on site (at a significant $$ cost to the host chapter and/or SDC) if all a "bad guy" has to do is say "I'm the owner" and they get to carry on with their illegal activity without further concern for the law. Surely it would be simple enough to make the "owner" show some proof to the Security Officer when challenged. :confused:

StudeRich
06-14-2010, 03:48 PM
No offense intended Mark, but maybe they are like the Canadian Border Guard Rent-A-Cops, can't get involved in "disputes" so have NO weapons! :D

2R5
06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I can tell Rich hasn't been across the border lately <g>

63r2
06-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear that this stuff is happening but unfortunately we are dealing with humans, some good, some bad.
As the thief could be an out of towner then more reason to view the security footage so that the person can be identified. The police have a captive audience of members who may recognise the person especially if he is a member.
I agree that some video images can be grainy and quite useless but certain personal traits might become apparent leading to the culprit.
pb

Mark57
06-14-2010, 08:39 PM
No offense intended Mark, but maybe they are like the Canadian Border Guard Rent-A-Cops, can't get involved in "disputes" so have NO weapons! :D

Gee Rich, I just assumed that everyone in Arizona was "armed and dangerous"! :rolleyes::p

bison
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Sam
Sorry to hear about your frustrations , but i have a question about the security camera, is it monitored by the hotel ? as i would hope that they would be a little more anxious to help a guest that was part of a large group of people ( the SDC international meet ) that spent a whole week at their hotel and on top of that PAID to park ( something that i , have never had to do at any other hotel in my life )
Unfortunatley with all of the legalities in todays world there will always be some excuse as to WHY they cant show it to you , but i cant figure it out.
Besides i wish we lived in the times where the cars that most of us in the club drive were new and you could trust people :(

rockne10
06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
"The security company wont show me the pictures,"

If the security company was hired by the Meet committee, SDC or the hotel, wouldn't they be obliged to share the video with those who employed them?

Pat Dilling
06-14-2010, 11:23 PM
I was really upset about this as well, it just plain sucks when you are afraid to have or display something nice.

As i understand it, the parking lot across the street where the concours was did not belong to the hotel, but rather to the Mall next door. So the security cameras and footage probably belongs to them and not to the hotel. At the same time, why bother to have video if you are not going to use it to apprehend criminals? Clearly we have someone who is pretty bold to take something from a patrolled lot like that. With all the budget cuts going around it's understandable why the law enforcement folks don't make something like this a high priority, at least they did come out and investigate and take finger prints. I hope you are insured and are either able to recover or duplicate them.

Pat

Edsel G. Tattooer
06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
My experience with vandals and old cars is you have to prove that it is more than $3000 in damage befor the cops will do jack S--- for you. I feel sorry for you loss I will help in any way I can.

Sdude
06-15-2010, 12:20 AM
I was a little surprised that it wasn't mentioned at the awards banquet. Mimi made the comment that the meet went on without a hitch. Was she not informed about this? If she wasn't, she should have been.

2R5
06-15-2010, 06:03 AM
As mentioned that video would be WestGate Mail property not the hotels

barnlark
06-15-2010, 08:18 AM
The Glendale Police can release that video, or the pictures asking for help if they have it in their possession. It's obviously not as serious as an armed robbery at a bank might be, but they can at least release it to the public, or at the very least, to the SDC board members to review (if they don't have it already). The registration folks might even recognize him if he's a legitimate, paid-up member (I doubt that, though) and I'm betting there are much better pictures of him in better light in the hotel wandering around that week for the security guard to identify. You know he was in there searching for other "deals" during the week and could easily be seen for a great suspect picture. Hotels have great cameras running all day long. This guy is somewhere on those files that week if they don't delete them before the police gets to them.

The police are not going to explain to anyone what they are investigating, so I wouldn't condemn them for doing nothing at this point.

This is small potatoes in their eyes, sure. I can't believe they took finger prints for such a small theft, but unless West Gate is putting up a legal stink about the security pictures, those should be available to the public by the police. Why would they be a secret? The guard was worthless that night and should have called the police to check his ID while he sat there, but only he holds the key as to who this guy is.

jclary
06-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey! This might be a perfect case for Judge Judy! Sue the mall and the security company for failing to perform and obstruction of justice. This guy might just be a "hobby thief." When I was a teenager I visited my cousin in a small S. C. mill town. We visited one of his friends whose hobby was stealing business signs. His room and basement was full of all kinds of signs. He was showing us a big plastic "Dino the dinosaur" he was bragging about stealing in broad daylight while the Sinclair service station was open. I think the guy was later caught and had to return the signs and pay a big fine. Being a country boy with strict parents, I was shocked knowing that if I had done anything like that...I would have been much more afraid of my Dad than anything the law would have done.

johnod
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
"so I wouldn't condemn them for doing nothing at this point."

I wouldn't say cops do nothing,thay are really busy protecting us all from the dangers of driving 5mile/hour faster than the last sign told us too. They keep us safe from the danger of undone seat belts, or parking on the side of the road.They make sure I'm wearing a hat they like when I ride my motorcycle. They remind me i need the right sticker on my license plate every year. These are just a few of the many valuable things cops do for you and i every day,they're really very busy people.You leaving you're vent wings attached to your car in broad daylight, were clearly asking for them to be stolen, so you can't really expect them to break up their schedule to look into a theft, when it is all so clearly your fault. I'm surprised they don't charge for instigating a crime.In fact your whole story sounds suspicious to me .How do I know you had any wind wings, you got any picture of these things? I never heard of a car with wind wings to begin with, so I called all the dealers, they said cars don't have wind mills,and there ain't no such thing as a studebager to begin with.
You tryin' to pull a fast one here buddy?
Where you from? Lets see some ID.

Gunslinger
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
I realize your answer is satirical or sarcasm, but the reality is police agencies get orders from the governor or mayor to increase writing citations for speeding, seatbelt violations, overtime parking, etc., (in lieu of written warnings) because the state or municipality needs the income from the fines because of budgetary problems due to the mismanagement of public funds by these same governors, mayor and legislatures. The governor or mayor gives the order to the Chief of Police who passes it to the street supervisors who in turn pass it on to the street cops. They have their quota (unofficial you understand) of citations to write and if they care about their career and evaluations they have to follow through. I've seen it happen many times.

Police agencies prefer to have their crime reports show decreases in offenses...it makes them look good. The political entities they get their authority and budgets from want income from fines...who do you think wins? I know who doesn't...the public.

55champion
06-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Were the security Guards "Bonded" and if so would their failure to provide protection from this happening
result in their company paying for the loss of property??

Retired
06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Ask your insurance company to contact the owner of the video.

Collection Doctor
06-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Were the security Guards "Bonded" and if so would their failure to provide protection from this happening
result in their company paying for the loss of property??
While it is entirely possible that the guard may have been bonded, his activities while acting as a security guard in a mall parking lot were not. Bonds normally provide coverage in one of several areas, promise of future appearance, contract performance and fidelity issues. His work at the meet falls outside of those areas.

Now if he was bonded under a fidelity policy and riding shotgun on a Brinks truck whose cash came up short at the end of the day, that would be covered. Unfortunately, there is no recourse here under a bond for incompetence.

This should be a wake up call to those that are putting on the meet in Springfield next year.

Welcome
06-15-2010, 01:53 PM
These sort of things seem to happen all too often at our SDC Meets. In addition to the obvious grief it causes the targeted SDC member, it also comes as a financial burden. We, the SDC, do have Meet Insurance

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/meetinsurance.asp

so why not help protect our member's investment by adding theft protection coverage to the existing policy:confused: Cost could be factored into the Meet registration fee, etc.

Collection Doctor
06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
These sort of things seem to happen all too often at our SDC Meets. In addition to the obvious grief it causes the targeted SDC member, it also comes as a financial burden. We, the SDC, do have Meet Insurance

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/meetinsurance.asp

so why not help protect our member's investment by adding theft protection coverage to the existing policy:confused: Cost could be factored into the Meet registration fee, etc.
Having been on the boards of non profits and in the insurance industry, it is not always as easy as adding "coverage to the existing policy". I do not think that it is the place of the club to provide insurance coverage for a member's car, that is the responsibility of the owner. You may recall the storms that his the winter auctions in Phoenix, those losses fell on the car owners and not the auction house.

Even if such coverage was in place as you suggest, how would the club know which were valid claims? While it is sad that it has to be the case, each person needs to take responsibility for their cars and items and understand that their are unscrupulous people at these types of events.

Pat Dilling
06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I agree, insurance of our personal property is our own responsibility. Classic car insurance is readily available, relatively inexpensive and was even represented by more than one company at the event (JC Taylor and Hagerty). Most of the classic car policies carry a zero deductible so even the slightest damage or loss is covered. Being compensated for the loss certainly does not heal all wounds, but at least it lets you make repairs or acquire replacements, unless of course the item is unobtainium like the windscreens lost here. Our Studebaker community is pretty tight knit, people know each other and their cars. I'm sure if a 36 Dictator starts showing up sportnig wind wings it will get a real good looking over. Same if any should come up for sale. This incident is getting publicity here on the forum, but the members here are a small fraction of the total SDC membership. I would suggest a "Reward Offered" ad in Turning Wheels as a means of publicizing the event and maybe even a long shot return of the items.

jclary
06-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Most of the comments here have merit. The fact is that if you are going to enjoy your self and not be a hermit...you just have to take some risk in exposing yourself to the public. The thing about thieves is that they think that they are smarter than every body else. I have always been amused by the loudest jerk mouthing back at his arresting officer, not being aware just how stupid he sounds and looks while causing all the ruckus. Sometimes the dumbest really expose how stupid they are in a very fatal way. Within the last couple of years I have read or seen on the news where at least two of these self-appointed geniuses electrocuted themselves while trying to steal copper wire from an active up and running electrical substation!

JDN
07-26-2010, 02:49 PM
I am new to this forum-

What is the current status of the investigation overall?

I bet in future meets folks will be looking closely at other owners with 1936 Dictators wondering if they are the culprits. That would be sad indeed.

Interesting thought though- would be curious -did they also happen to be in Glendale at the time of the theft.

Sorry for your loss-

Regards,
Joe

07-26-2010, 03:04 PM
The August Turning Wheels has also publicized this deed. Hopefully something positive will result.

stude62
07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Sam- I hate to be so dense, but do you have a picture show exactly what these items look like? I wasn't at Glendale, but we travel a lot and poke around when we travel. It would be nice if we knew what they looked like.

To that end, I would really encourage the other car owners to take their cars out annually and get good pictures of all sides of the car and the interiors and keep those in a place where you know you can access thenm in the event that your vehicle gets selected by one of these bottom feeders. I know everyuone has pictures of their car, but when their is an emregncy and something comes up missing, you would be surprised what you can forget. We actually keep "police ready" note books of our automobiles in the unlikely event of damage, theft or other such incidents - and they do come in handy as pictures speak louder than words.

Dads Baby
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
To that end, I would really encourage the other car owners to take their cars out annually and get good pictures of all sides of the car and the interiors and keep those in a place where you know you can access thenm in the event that your vehicle gets selected by one of these bottom feeders. I know everyuone has pictures of their car, but when their is an emregncy and something comes up missing, you would be surprised what you can forget. We actually keep "police ready" note books of our automobiles in the unlikely event of damage, theft or other such incidents - and they do come in handy as pictures speak louder than words.

This is a really good idea. I know that each chapter must have someone that takes a zillion pictures everytime they meet. Why not set one meeting a year for this to take place and then the "photographer" can keep the pictures on file or burn them to a CD? I know that I just volunteered myself for this...:cool:

wolfie
07-27-2010, 09:42 AM
So with reference to the other post about this with the video link Does the SDC know who the theif is yet? Steve