PDA

View Full Version : Very rare Avanti

billmdonn
06-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Built in West Bend Indiana. Good for parts of restoration, $15900 BIN.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-AVANTI-II-Sport-Coupe-RESTORATION-PARTS-/160444787802?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item255b412c5a

StudeRich
06-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Rare in that it is the only one for sale with a buy-it now price THREE times what it is worth, and there are PLENTY to choose from, not hard to find!

It probably is the ONLY one built in West Bend though, didn't they make TOASTERS there? :D

Collection Doctor
06-13-2010, 12:28 PM
It probably is the ONLY one built in West Bend though, didn't they make TOASTERS there? :D
West Bend was also a manufacturer of small gasoline engines, many of which ended up being used in go carts. I think the cart Dick Steinkamp had in the back of the Ute was powered by West Bend engines. They were later bought by Chrysler and then subsequently sold to Brunswick.

Invalid User Name
06-13-2010, 12:36 PM
This guy obviously believes the adage that there is no such thing as a cheap Avanti.

Chris_Dresbach
06-13-2010, 12:57 PM
...West Bend... HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mbstude
06-13-2010, 01:54 PM
What's the point in piling on? Not everyone knows Studebaker/Avanti history and the seller isn't hurting a thing by asking what he wants for his car.

candbstudebakers
06-13-2010, 03:11 PM
There is a sucker born every minute and he is fishing for one with this auction, if this hard to get 70 is worth $15,000 then my not so rare 67 should be worth about $10,000 I guess,...it takes all kinds, and every body can try and get what ever for what ever, all I can say is good luck and this auction will have following, if not for the the heck of it...Bob

sbca96
06-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I dont think thats fair, its not a Fox Body Mustang, its RARE, thats a fact. You guys
are thinking in Studebaker terms, open up your spectrum here. A '72 Avanti is a
nice year, its still got a decent motor, it slips under the radar for smog, and yet it
has classic styling. Its annoying to hear people on this forum complain that other
brands value has increased, while Studebaker doesn't as much. What exactly is a
controlling factor in VALUE anyway? Asking price is one thing, look at how Toyota
and the like slowly forced their resale values up over the years, its brilliant really.
They gave a ridiculous trade in value, which kept people coming back to trade in
their Toyota on a new Toyota, in order to draw some of those people to the other
brands, those brands had to offer the same trade in value. Once the dealer trade
in is set, that draws up the private party, and hence the whole line increases. The
other factor is popularity, and though Studebakers dont have the following of the
'69 Yenko Camaro, if they are seen at car shows, its LIKE advertising and gets the
youth interested. I agree that 15k is on the high side for this car, but if might clean
up so well that it could be featured on the cover of Avanti Magazine - mine did.

http://www.emperorjordan.com/sbca96/images/Avantinewimages/Cover_Picture_Day/cover50percent.jpg

Tom

Rare in that it is the only one for sale with a buy-it now price THREE times what it is worth, and there are PLENTY to choose from, not hard to find!

Don Kelstrom
06-13-2010, 04:21 PM
This guy did not missrepresent his car at all. No reason to criticize him on a public forum. Mellow out.

studegary
06-13-2010, 04:35 PM
There were only 101 1972 Avantis built. In most car circles that is a low (rare) production vehicle. I have owned cars, including Packard and Chrysler, with a lower than 101 production total for a model, but most haven't. In some car circles, 1000 is considered a low production quantity.

I wish that eBay would go back to having a category for Avantis. That way post-Studebaker Avantis would not have to be called Studebakers.

Gunslinger
06-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Ebay does still have a separate listing for Avanti's, but whenever a seller lists the word "Studebaker" in his heading for an Avanti II it just increases the potential buyers. Even if you're not interested in an Avanti but type in "Studebaker" you'll see it.

06-13-2010, 06:53 PM
This looks like a car I looked at in Chesapeake Beach maybe 10 years ago. An ad had been running what seemed like several years in the Norfolk paper for a '70 Avanti with fewer than 1,000 miles. I finally called the guy and stopped to look at it. From the standpoint of wear it could have been under 1k miles, but it was sad. It was under a plastic tarp, sitting in a very damp area under pine trees. The moon roof had leaked and the whole interior was soaked and moldy. The paint looked like the one in the eBay listing and all metal surfaces were rusted to one degree or another. Funny thing was, it had non-Avanti wheels which looked like the ones on this car and the tires were not what Avanti Motors usually put on cars

JBOYLE
06-13-2010, 07:41 PM
West Bend instead of South Bend?
Maybe his compass is broken.

studegary
06-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Ebay does still have a separate listing for Avanti's, but whenever a seller lists the word "Studebaker" in his heading for an Avanti II it just increases the potential buyers. Even if you're not interested in an Avanti but type in "Studebaker" you'll see it.

When I used to search eBay Motors by car brand, there were listings for Avanti and Studebaker. More recently, I only find Studebaker. There is also the catch all of Other Makes. I do not find Avanti among the long list of vehicle brands available. Are we doing something different or wasn't I clear enough the first time?

Gunslinger
06-14-2010, 02:34 PM
When I used to search eBay Motors by car brand, there were listings for Avanti and Studebaker. More recently, I only find Studebaker. There is also the catch all of Other Makes. I do not find Avanti among the long list of vehicle brands available. Are we doing something different or wasn't I clear enough the first time?

If you go to the Ebay Motors page, click on the "Collectors Car" icon, and Avanti is listed there. I just checked it and it hasn't been deleted.

studegary
06-15-2010, 03:33 PM
If you go to the Ebay Motors page, click on the "Collectors Car" icon, and Avanti is listed there. I just checked it and it hasn't been deleted.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of a separate "Collectors Car" section. I was just using the long list of brands.