East Motor Company--Studebaker dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Motor Company--Studebaker dealer

Anybody ever heard of East Motor Company? Reason I ask is, a week or so ago on eBay I bought a 5-year plaque in the original frame, from a seller, and the plaque was to East Motor Company. The eBay seller was in IL but I don't know if it's from there. Anyway, the style plaque is very similar to the 1941 plaque I have from the Carl E. Filer Co. so I assume East Motor Company was founded sometime in the '30's or '40's.

My Filer plaque didn't come in a frame, so I now have an original-style Studebaker frame to go with the plaque (apparently they gave you a new plaque 'insert' every five years, but you kept the frame). I am astounded just how heavy the metal frame is. I gave the East Motor Company plaque 'insert' to a Studebaker friend but we are both curious about any information on the dealership.

Thanks.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Yes, but not as a real dealership. That's the name of the "Dealership" inside Tom Curtis' (President of the Michiana Chapter SDC) building where he works. There was a pic of it that made it onto the cover of TW a few years ago, but that's in Elkhart In.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Chris, are you sure about this infomation? Does anyone have any other info. on EAST MOTOR CAR CO.?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Hawk 1964 View Post
        Chris, are you sure about this infomation? Does anyone have any other info. on EAST MOTOR CAR CO.?
        If this were a "fantasy" dealership as indicated by Chris, then Mr. Pressler would not have acquired an original 5 year plaque. Unless this dealership is listed in the long running thread on that subject, it will probably require research at the museum or someone here with personal knowledge chiming in.

Comment

It is East of the West Motor Company and about half way between North Motor Company and South Motor Company. Seriously hope you get your answer.

Comment

Bump!!

Thank you Ebay.... Now can anyone decipher what the ladies banner says?

64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

It says 'Division 8 Rules!'

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
              Bump!!
              Thank you Ebay.... Now can anyone decipher what the ladies banner says?
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The chrome gas and air intake flaps are certainly different.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

This same picture is in Richard Langworth's "Studebaker - The Postwar years" on page 37, and the caption under the photo says "Miss Arkedelphia demonstrates Champion convertible." Now if you can only determine where Arkedelphia is.

Dave Bonn
                  '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

I was using some dithering software to clarify the pic, but all it could come up with was /arkadic mi/....... Arkadelphia, Arkansas looks to be a winner........... Many Thanks
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Arkadelphia is between Little Rock and Texakansas.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

Thanks for posting this photo. I'm the original poster, and I have 'The Studebaker Century' book, and now that I see that photo, remember it being in the book. Apparently the name "East Motor Co." never rang a bell to me.

I'll make sure to tell my friend who now has the dealer plaque, that the dealership was in Arkadelphia, AR.
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                          Arkadelphia is between Little Rock and Texakansas.
                          In Langworth's book, the picture is cropped and the top of the building with "East Motor Co." is not visible. Guess they were more interested in the convertible (or Miss Arkadelphia, lol).

Dave Bonn
                          '54 Champion Starliner

Comment

Working...
                          X