Studes in Tucumcari, NM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studes in Tucumcari, NM

Came across this place with a buoch of Studes. No one there, don't know if anything is for sale or prices. They look like builders.
    Attached Files
    Restorations by Skip Towne

I have seen them sitting there for several years now too and never see anyone around there either. At mile marker 198 (Moriarty) in New Mexico are two what looks to be 56 Golden Hawks and some Stude pickups that have been sitting there for quite a while. on the north side of I-40.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

We spent the night at Tucumcari on our Potomac Chapter Route 66 Trip in 2003 (April 26-27). We had stayed at the Blue Swallow Motel (original Route 66 motel very nicely done). In the morning (April 27) I drove up the street a couple blocks to fill with gas. At the gas station, the woman in the cashier booth told me an interesting Studebaker story. It seems that her fellow cashier lived next to an old recluse who died intestate. When they liquidated his estate they sold the entire contents of his house to this co-worker for $3,000. When he opened the garage he found a 1953 Studebaker (model not stated) with 36 miles on the odometer.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Wow, there is even an unmolested Henry J.
        Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
        Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
        Lizella, GA

Comment

When he opened the garage he found a 1953 Studebaker (model not stated) with 36 miles on the odometer.

Yep and I know where you can get a '57 Plymouth in OKC that has NEVER been driven!

John

Comment

Didn't see the Henry J, but there is a very nice little Nash there!

Comment

Someone updated the sign within the last couple of years at least - that's when the 575 area code came in.
              Jim K.
              63 Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X