Studebakers at Maxton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers at Maxton

Here is a couple of pictures from the first speed meet at Maxton this year. All of them ran for records except for my
    Lark and Joe's truck. Sorry if I posted these before.
    Attached Files
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Boy that looks fun. How fast did you go? How fast can you go and not have a roll cage? I heard 130 m.p.h.
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Comment

Alex,
      I did not drive, just a spectator. I think that you are correct with the 130 mph speed imit before you need a cage. The three C/K's all ran in the 160-170 mph range. Joe Roberts can tell you more about the rules and regulations. I wonder what his R-1 powered Champ( in the picture) would run. The next meet I go to , I may take my Mark VIII and see what it will do.
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1958 Commander "Christine"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

Without a rollbar the you are limited to 135mph. You still must have an up-to-date helmet. When racing, under 135, you must have long sleeves, long pants and preferably leather shoes. You also must have a minimum of a three point seat belt. There are some other requirements got to www.ecta-lsr.com and order a rule book for ten bucks for all the detail.

The pictures Jamie posted were at the April meet. There was only one Stude at the May meet and it was different than the three in the pictures. It was also a '53 coupe with early 392 hemi power. I understand the '39 President than ran bone stock last September will be back in September. I am not going to be there in June, but will be back in September. I may run a Turbo VW Jetta in September part of the time and work my usual course worker slot the rest of the time.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Without a rollbar the you are limited to 135mph. You still must have an up-to-date helmet. When racing, under 135, you must have long sleeves, long pants and preferably leather shoes. You also must have a minimum of a three point seat belt. There are some other requirements got to www.ecta-lsr.com and order a rule book for ten bucks for all the detail.

The pictures Jamie posted were at the April meet. There was only one Stude at the May meet and it was different than the three in the pictures. It was also a '53 coupe with early 392 hemi power. I understand the '39 President than ran bone stock last September will be back in September. I am not going to be there in June, but will be back in September. I may run a Turbo VW Jetta in September part of the time and work my usual course worker slot the rest of the time.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

Sorry to hear you won't be there in June. We are registered and almost ready. BTW, nice pics
            54 C Land Speed - 179.644 mph
            59 Lark Cruiser - 14.58 @ 99.30
            60 Lark Gasser 1 - 10.82 @ 122.83
            60 Lark
            63 Lark Slammed - 11.62 @ 116.3

Comment

The yellow car is Peter's from Barrie On. he ran somewhere around 150 this year i believe. But the best part is he drives to the meet and back home towing a trailer with it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                The yellow car is Peter's from Barrie On. he ran somewhere around 150 this year i believe. But the best part is he drives to the meet and back home towing a trailer with it.
                Peter ran 161.26012mph at the April meet. In fact all three of the coupes that ran in April exceeded 160 mph. Yes it is incredibly cool that he drives the car from Ontario, converts it to a race car, races it and then converts it back to a street car, hooks up the trailer and drives back to Ontario. Certainly this fact along gives the car a sort of charm that most other race cars do not have.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                X