source for proper coloured paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• source for proper coloured paint

I would like to start putting a coat of paint on Bess to stop and prevent any more rust. I'm replacing the front fenders with a pair that Kent kindly supplied and want to paint them before installing as well. Problem is; I don't know what is the proper colour and where to get it. Lastly; I need to do this with a rattle can as I don't have the equipment for painting otherwise. Yes, yes, I know it won't be the same quality as a proper job. I'm just attempting to dress the old girl up a bit and forestall any more deterioration.

So... any suggestions?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

I have a 56 Parkview wagon in the same color combination as yours. The light blue, Daybreak Blue, was getting thin. I found Dupont SPECTRAMASTER Acrylic Urethane #BS243MV (single stage) to be as close a match as I believe you'd find. It's not rattle can, but you can rent a spay outfit. I love the 56 wagons.
    Fred

Comment

thanks Fred. However, the top on Bess is (I think) Seamist Green. The bottom colour I'm not too sure of. Some kind of metalic though. Autocolour Library carries a number of paints in cans, however they're a bit pricy. If No Autoparts Available had a good match... well that might be something to think about.

There was a fellow who had a late fifties Hawk who painted it the same colours as Bess. He was kind enough to send me the paint codes and what with two crashes and three data transfers the information was lost. So... here I am fishing again for the same information.
      Ron Smith

Comment

A good paint store will have a color meter which can scan some part of your car that has paint and cough up the paint formula to match it. If you do this, it will come closer to matching the rest of your car. Take one of your old fenders in and give it a try.

Comment

Looks like Glenbrook Green and Seaside Green.

Comment

NAPA used to mix and sell paint in rattle cans. I suppose it depends if your local FLAPS has the equipment to do so.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Truth be told Ron, you might just as well guess at it by going to K-Mart, Home Depot, ACE hardware, TruValue Hardware, whatever you have, and chosing a light leaf Green and and a Medium Green and go for it.
              Because if you can only do rattle cans at this time, it won't be long before you will be doing it again anyway.

Spending a lot of money for the "Right" color of custom mixed "Spray Cans", defeats the purpose of going cheap, and won't last much longer. By the time you pay for 6 to 10 or way more of those, you could pay someone with a compressor and gun to shoot it right.

In Calif. be sure to show your I.D. though, so you can buy the "tagger paint"! Lol!

Just my HO!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Truth be told Ron, you might just as well guess at it by going to K-Mart, Home Depot, ACE hardware, TruValue Hardware, whatever you have, and chosing a light leaf Green and and a Medium Green and go for it.
                Because if you can only do rattle cans at this time, it won't be long before you will be doing it again anyway.

Spending a lot of money for the "Right" color of custom mixed "Spray Cans", defeats the purpose of going cheap, and won't last much longer. By the time you pay for 6 to 10 or way more of those, you could pay someone with a compressor and gun to shoot it right.

In Calif. be sure to show your I.D. though, so you can buy the "tagger paint"! Lol!

Just my HO!
                Yeah, you're probably right. My main interest is to keep her from deteriorating any more. The last few years out in the weather have been really hard on the paint. I'd like to forstall any more deterioration.

Taggers... You'd be very surprised how many of them can still get the paint with ID. I still think Indonesia has it right.

Can anyone recommend a brand that won't ruin the car?
                Ron Smith

Comment

Ron,
                  I have an idea for you. I am a member of another forum called autobody101.com. There are some pros on that site but there are a lot of guys like myself that paint as a hobby. You may be able to find a hobbiest in your area that already has the equipment. If you prep the panels they may spray them for you pretty cheap, you will just have to buy materials. I would be happy to spray it for you, but you are about as far away from NC as you can get.

You can buy a low line custom mix paint like Omni or Nason that sprays with a gun a lot cheaper than you can have paint mixed and put in a spray can.

I'll mention one more thing. If your main goal is to protect the metal, that obviously starts with the primer. Epoxy is the best but that requires mixing and a spray gun, at least I don't know of anybody that makes a rattle can epoxy primer. The next best thing for bare metal is a good etch primer. I personaly like SEM brand. You should be able to find it at your local auto paint store or you can order it on the internet. Once you get a good primer on the metal, you can put most any kind of paint on it to protect the primer.

Wayne
                  Wayne
                  "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Since you don't have all the equipment and know-how to spray with a gun, you might think about something like this: http://www.eastwood.com/spra-tool-ae...ray-gun-1.html You could still get your custom color mixed at a paint store, mix it according to the instructions and spray it. There are several knock-offs of this that other people sell but Eastwood is a reputable company. Might work for ya.

Comment

Ron,
                      I have ordered paint from here:

The aerosol custom spray paint from AutomotiveTouchup is designed with the highest quality paint available to give your car an even touch-up job. It's factor matched to your car. at AutomotiveTouchup

It's best to call them with the paint code...they turned mine around in about a week.

Ted

Comment

This is a good source for "inexpensive" auto paint. they have many pre-mixed colors. may be tough to decide what is a close match to the colors you want but if you look at the chart of premixed colors, it looks like there are many colors that look like they would work. I have used their paint on friends cars and will be using it on my car next. seems as good as Omni or other inexpensive brands. can be cheaper if you buy the paint thru e-bay they sell a kit with paint, reducer and hardener for a good price there. as long as they are offering the color on e-Bay that you want. Also if you go the "spray paint" section on their site they sell a kit for spraying any paint. "preval" paint sprayer, you may be able to find it for sale other places. I have never used it. But if it works would be just what you need to do it yourself I would think. and at $6.95 may be worth a shot to see how it works.
                        Huge supplier of Automotive Paint, Auto Body Supplies, Airbrush Equipment, Car Detailing Supplies, Pinstripe Paint, Spray Guns & Safety Respirators at Wholesale Prices. Our items are factory direct and we carry a wide variety of Top Quality Brands.
                        sigpic1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Working...
                        X