Do these Avantis still exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do these Avantis still exist?

Friends; Several years ago, while at a York Swap Meet, I purchased a mixed box of printed materials from a former dealer in NJ. After sorting through the 'stuff', I find I have the dealer invoices for most of the new Studebakers sold from April 1963 through March 1966. The dealership was C-D Motors, Inc. 1721 Olden Avenue Extension, Trenton, Nj.

So far, I have invoices for three (3) Avanti cars. If any of these Avantis still exist, I will be happy to send a copy of the invoice for $5 including shipping. Each invoice contains all the information found on the production orders plus the sales information including the name of the original buyer. I have the invoices for the following models R Q 4370:

Serial # R-4977

Serial # R-4992

Serial # R-5190

Questions, contact me here or at M16-52@comcast.net.

Frank Drumheller
    Locust Grove, VA
    60S-W6
    1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Those VIN's aren't in the AOAI roster. Hopefully someone else has better information.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
      Friends; Several years ago, while at a York Swap Meet, I purchased a mixed box of printed materials from a former dealer in NJ. After sorting through the 'stuff', I find I have the dealer invoices for most of the new Studebakers sold from April 1963 through March 1966. The dealership was C-D Motors, Inc. 1721 Olden Avenue Extension, Trenton, Nj.

So far, I have invoices for three (3) Avanti cars. If any of these Avantis still exist, I will be happy to send a copy of the invoice for $5 including shipping. Each invoice contains all the information found on the production orders plus the sales information including the name of the original buyer. I have the invoices for the following models R Q 4370:

Serial # R-4977

Serial # R-4992

Serial # R-5190

Questions, contact me here or at M16-52@comcast.net.

Frank Drumheller
      Locust Grove, VA
      60S-W6
      I found this on R 4977

JDP Maryland

Comment

The ebay vin says R-4997 Sorry thought you were referring to R-4977

Comment

R-4992, R1 Green, was owned by Robert C. Tovar of Trenton NJ.

Comment

I owned R-5186. It was one of a group of cars all built the same colors and equipment and with Allstate tires. It was also from NJ. I think that R-5190 may have been one of that group. I think that there were nine cars the same, but I don't remember the start and end S/Ns.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary; Serial # R-5190 particulars:

Code-
              13 Paint- P6434 Avanti Red
              14 Interior- 813 BKV (black vinyl)
              20 Transmission- Automatic Floor Shift
              38 Power Steering
              51A 670 white Allstate tires
              66A Radio Push
              81 Belts L&R
              88 AC 3310 L (I do not have access to my '64 sales code book)
              Radio- push
              Belts- L&R

This car was sold to Mr. K. Worthington on Oct. 6, 1964.

So, Gary, your supposition is correct. This car was a brother to the one you owned! How about that! Does it still exist? I hope it is still out there.

Frank Drumheller
              Locust Grove, VA
              60S-W6

Comment

Avanti R5190 is owned by Millard Hatfield.

12526 Lansing Avenue
                Leslie, Michigan 49251

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
                  Gary; Serial # R-5190 particulars:

Code-
                  13 Paint- P6434 Avanti Red
                  14 Interior- 813 BKV (black vinyl)
                  20 Transmission- Automatic Floor Shift
                  38 Power Steering
                  51A 670 white Allstate tires
                  66A Radio Push
                  81 Belts L&R
                  88 AC 3310 L (I do not have access to my '64 sales code book)
                  Radio- push
                  Belts- L&R

This car was sold to Mr. K. Worthington on Oct. 6, 1964.

So, Gary, your supposition is correct. This car was a brother to the one you owned! How about that! Does it still exist? I hope it is still out there.

Frank Drumheller
                  Yes, that is the same (colors and equipment) as the one that I referenced. Mine was changed to white when it was restored. I sold it to another lifetime SDC member that lives in NJ. He no longer has it and I have lost track of it. I do not try to keep track of cars that I have owned. Sometimes they find me again.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks, Laemmle for the info. I will make contact with the gentleman.

Frank Drumheller
                    Locust Grove, VA
                    60S-W6

Comment

Avanti R5190

Originally posted by Laemmle View Post
                      Avanti R5190 is owned by Millard Hatfield.

12526 Lansing Avenue
                      Leslie, Michigan 49251
                      Just wanted to let you know that I currently own Avanti R5190. If Millard Hatfield is out there, I would be interested to know how long he owned the car. I know the first owner was a K. Worthington (original bill of sale), and I know a later owner around 2005. In between, I know nothing. I just bought her in October 2016. Any further information would be welcome. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Johnson View Post
                        Just wanted to let you know that I currently own Avanti R5190. If Millard Hatfield is out there, I would be interested to know how long he owned the car. I know the first owner was a K. Worthington (original bill of sale), and I know a later owner around 2005. In between, I know nothing. I just bought her in October 2016. Any further information would be welcome. Thanks!
                        So you do not care about getting the Original Dealer Purchase Order for your Avanti that that Frank (studelark) offered you?
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Johnson View Post
                          Leslie is south of Lansing and probably fits in the nemsdc district. Why not Google nemsdc.com and find the officers in the club. Contact them and see what they know. A lot of memory there.

​ob

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, Millard Hatfield spoke to me or contacted me regarding an improvement that he wished to make to his Avanti. That was in the late 80's and he indicated that he was 80 or in his 80s. That would put him well over 100 now. I may have a note recorded regarding his request. I'll try to confirm the accuracy of my memory tomorrow.

I was residing in Sarnia, Ontario at the time.
                            Last edited by WCP; 02-14-2017, 07:17 PM. Reason: Added thought

Comment

Almost correct. Millard Hatfield apparently spoke to me in June '91 at Chesaning, MI. I don't recall the occasion. He indicated that he was 80 and that his Avanti was in the paint shop, and that he would like to add power windows because he was having difficulty raising and lowering the windows. He provided his home base as Leslie, MI and a phone number.
                              I had thought that I might have met him at Capac, MI, where I showed my 1st Avanti at a car show, but apparently not.

Comment

Working...
                              X