PDA

View Full Version : Massive GM recall.......1.5 million vehicles Fire hazard

glen
06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Another 1 from GM http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/06/08/gm-recalling-million-cars-hazard/

tutone63
06-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Oh, c'mon, who really needs a heater for their washer fluid? Is it just me, or is that the definition of "superfluous"? And a $100.00 compensation because it doesn't warm up your fluid anymore? Oh brother. I have been driving cars for years and none of them have ever had that "feature", and I ain't askin for no hundred bucks.

silverhawk
06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Wow, that is rediculous!

Jim B PEI
06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
That feature isn't needed in Canada, or anywhere else. (Although after a week in Glendale @ 105+F, coming back to an absurd cool spell of 52F+/- that has been going on for a few weeks here, the news seems almost appropriate) Its an answer to a question no-one asked. Use windshield washer fluid according to season. In Spring or Fall, I use el cheapo, sometime even water. In summer, I use the special sort to clean off bug splatter. In winter, the non-freeze sort that is good to -40F or -40C (take your pick <g>) even though it never gets anywhere near that cold here. I had one of those heated thingies fail on my Jetta diesel--not that it was a fire hazard, it just failed as a nozzle. I gave the service manager >>>A Very Old Fashioned Look<<< when he discussed the cost of replacing said bull mammary part, and somehow the price was adjusted to something less than stratospheric and similar to a plain old simple nozzle price.

The $100 compensation in a more just and sensible world would be for trying our patience in the first place with such unnecessary and bound to fail extras.

N8N
06-08-2010, 08:19 PM
if you've ever had your car sit out overnight in a warm snow that turned cold, or worse yet, snow that got rained on and then froze again, you'd think that heated wiper nozzles were pretty nifty. That said, I would think the easiest way to accomplish that would be some stainless tubing coiled around a heater hose or something, which wouldn't be a fire hazard at all.. KISS!

wiper arms that will hold the wipers off the windshield when you pull them up "over center" are another innovation that is just oh so handy for snow belt dwellers... no need to jam stuff under your wiper arms when you park the car outside overnight to keep the blades from freezing to the windshield... amazingly it took Chevy until *2006* to discover this...

nate

(my first thought would be coil the wiper tubing around the exhaust pipe just below the manifold, but while that would melt ice nicely, it might cause other problems <G>)

Bill Pressler
06-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Another 1 from GM http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/06/08/gm-recalling-million-cars-hazard/

Still a good number fewer than Toyota has recalled of late.

comatus
06-09-2010, 08:23 AM
The key piece of information was that they could not be repaired, because the supplier is out of business. Apparently there is no alternative, and no one to bid on one. Reminds me of a great big long Russian novel with cars like "Twentieth Century" and "Hammond" in it.