Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck is "Truth or Consequences" New Mexico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is "Truth or Consequences" New Mexico?

While everyone else was either going home or on a vacation, I drove to Kingman and did a gun show over the weekend. When I left there, it was 97 f. and arrived back in Phoenix at 107 f! So I guess we Stude freaks missed the REALLY hot weather, tho I heard they expect 113 by this weekend.

According to Wikipedia: Originally named Hot Springs, the city changed its name to Truth or Consequences, the title of a popular NBC radio program. In 1950, Ralph Edwards, announced that he would air the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show. Hot Springs won the honor. Edwards visited the town during the first weekend of May for the next fifty years. This event was called "Fiesta" and included a beauty contest, a parade, and a stage show. The city still celebrates Fiesta each year on the first weekend of May. The parade generally features area celebrities such as the Hatch Chile Queen. Fiesta also features a dance in Ralph Edwards Park.

So now you know the REST of the story!

John

Good story John. And on the van, Linda's 02 is getting 21-25. Guess the thing's going to need ANOTHER tune-up, even though the last one was done only 50K ago. Darn American brands!

One thing at least, it hasn't yet accelerated uncontrollably <G>

Comment

As the Cowardly Lion said, "Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth!!"

I think I changed the (platinum) plugs about 100k miles ago. It'll need some new ones, one of these days!

John

Comment

T or C was renamed after a string of murders to help 're-brand' the town. Does anyone know a good shop in NM that would do a good job on restoring my 1950 Champion? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jmaxb7 View Post
          T or C was renamed after a string of murders to help 're-brand' the town. Does anyone know a good shop in NM that would do a good job on restoring my 1950 Champion? Thanks!
          Hey, jmaxb7! Welcome to the forum. Have no idea of your age or if you are a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club. My suggestion would be for you to find your nearest club chapter, get to know the members and dive into your project. Nothing trumps knowledge and experience. My approach is to do all you can do for yourself and involve others in areas where your skills are weak. Of course its the 'ol budget thing that is a great inhibitor for many of us. Welcome from the east coast and good luck with your project.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not much different situation than the town that recently renamed itself Google. The Google stakes may be a bit higher.

Ralph returned to T or C regularly to visit, even long after his radio show ended. Kept up relations with the folks there.
            Jim K.
            63 Hawk

Comment

I live in TorC. The last time Ralph Edwards was here (physically) was at the 50th anniversary of the name change. It is a quite small town for the most part. Neal

Comment

Working...
              X