Our trip to AZ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our trip to AZ!

We drove our 1964 GT Hawk to So CA & went to see Jay Leno & the filming of the Tonight Show, then went to a car show at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank. Sat we drove to Anaheim to go to the La Palma show, changed the fuel filter, thinking we might have something in the fuel line. Sunday went to the La Palma show, had fun. We won the 50/50 pot & our friend won the GPS! Monday we left early with Lou pulling his 52 Studebaker & Pat & Steve in the Pat's 53 Studebaker. We left at 6:00am to beat the heat! Everything was good until we hit the Indio grade, we starting having some problems, so we left the group & got over the grade. Pat's 53 blew a transmission line twice, so we didn't find that our until we finally got a phone signal. They call AAA. We had more problems with exceleration & stopped in the heat at Quartzsite AZ. Changed the other fuel filter, then limped to the only rest stop between CA & Phoenix. Call AAA. Ran into Ann Goodman & her group, told them we would be OK. Got towed to the meet, then the next day the AAA tow truck driver bent the tie rod in AZ, They paid to fix that!. We had a new electronic fuel pump added. We had a vacuum advance problem put a new dist in & enjoyed the rest of the Studebaker meet! Left early Friday morning 6:30am broke down towed to Banning CA & got a new battery, Sounds like we had low voltage & that effected the fuel pump, battery, A/C & auxiliary fan, our water pump isn't doing a good job, then the nut fell off the gas peddle & we used a nylon tie to get home...We left Friday at 6:30am & got home Sat at 2:30am..long drive!

I think we will fly to the next meet outside of CA!
    We enjoyed meeting so many people in AZ!

Rick & Johna Pierce
    StudeRick & Johna
    Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1963 Avanti
    1961 Lark Wagon
    1963 Lark Daytona

I would call that a very memorable trip! If things went smoothly, you would have nothing to talk about. Did you get to show Jay Leno your Studebaker?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Rick, glad you guys made it home in one piece, and under your own power. I, for one, certainly have an increased appreciation for what it takes to have a car prepped for a long trip in hot weather!

Jeff
      1951 Custom
      1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
      1962 Champ
      1963 Standard R1 4 speed
      1963 Avanti R1
      1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
      2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Fantastic, Now what was the problem with the distributor not going in?
        Mabel 1949 Champion
        Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
        Gus 1958 Transtar
        The Prez 1955 President State
        Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
        Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
        Fresno,Ca

Comment

Rick & Johna Pierce[/QUOTE]

Unless your plane gets hijacked or you are lost in the terminal you won't have nearly as good a story to tell.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I cannot believe a '64 GT Hawk could suffer so many problems on the trip to Phoenix. At least you got there & trust you both had a great time. We had to cancel our flights at the last moment due to an emergency operation with my Wife

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
              I cannot believe a '64 GT Hawk could suffer so many problems on the trip to Phoenix. At least you got there & trust you both had a great time. We had to cancel our flights at the last moment due to an emergency operation with my Wife
              Is your wife okay now and did the other Aussies make it back from the states yet?
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks for posting! Makes me think I'll stick with my MO of hauling the car and just using it around the destination. Less stress that way <G>

Comment

Thanks Milaca, she is recovering slowly but still with some limping & pain. I know that Leon Martin & Brian Greenall fly in tomorrow but not sure on the others.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

Trailer...Trailer......Trailer....Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Should be remembered as a successful outing...didn't the winners of the 'longest distance award' travel a short 2600 miles one way in their 52? And they took a second.
                      Bill Foy
                      1000 Islands, Ontario
                      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

You and others that DRIVE their cars are my heros. I love to hear the stories of the trips to and from the meets. I think half the fun or more is "getting there". There was a person at the show that drove a 53 or 54 champion from BC very nice looking car too. Then the '41 champion that drove from WA state. Oh and don't forget the original owner (very nice man Edward if I remember correctly) AVANTI 286k miles nice looking car too, he drove from ATLANTA. Dont get me wrong they're were some very nice cars that were trailered and desevedly so but I've got a softspot for those that drive. My 53 pu might not be the vehicle to drive long distances but these stories give me some motivation to get the Lark finished up and drive to some out of state meets. As long as I let the wife be a tourist she seems to be content with me playing cars along the way.
                        Originally posted by studerick View Post
                        We drove our 1964 GT Hawk to So CA & went to see Jay Leno & the filming of the Tonight Show, then went to a car show at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank. Sat we drove to Anaheim to go to the La Palma show, changed the fuel filter, thinking we might have something in the fuel line. Sunday went to the La Palma show, had fun. We won the 50/50 pot & our friend won the GPS! Monday we left early with Lou pulling his 52 Studebaker & Pat & Steve in the Pat's 53 Studebaker. We left at 6:00am to beat the heat! Everything was good until we hit the Indio grade, we starting having some problems, so we left the group & got over the grade. Pat's 53 blew a transmission line twice, so we didn't find that our until we finally got a phone signal. They call AAA. We had more problems with exceleration & stopped in the heat at Quartzsite AZ. Changed the other fuel filter, then limped to the only rest stop between CA & Phoenix. Call AAA. Ran into Ann Goodman & her group, told them we would be OK. Got towed to the meet, then the next day the AAA tow truck driver bent the tie rod in AZ, They paid to fix that!. We had a new electronic fuel pump added. We had a vacuum advance problem put a new dist in & enjoyed the rest of the Studebaker meet! Left early Friday morning 6:30am broke down towed to Banning CA & got a new battery, Sounds like we had low voltage & that effected the fuel pump, battery, A/C & auxiliary fan, our water pump isn't doing a good job, then the nut fell off the gas peddle & we used a nylon tie to get home...We left Friday at 6:30am & got home Sat at 2:30am..long drive!

Rick & Johna Pierce

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                        57 SH (project)
                        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

The reason the new mallory didnt drop in the oil pump slot easily is that the drive tang was straight cut with no bevel. Three different experts tried to get it to drop in, Gary Crabtree used his sharpening stone to break the sharp edge. 1/4 turn later the distributor dropped easily into the slot. We finished wiring it up and it fired on the first spin!
                          StudeRick & Johna
                          Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                          1957 Silver Hawk
                          1963 Avanti
                          1961 Lark Wagon
                          1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Working...
                          X