Trying to identify a WCFB intake #535661

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to identify a WCFB intake #535661

I can't find it in my 59-64 parts manual, so I guess it is earlier.

Can anyone look it up?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Tom, are you talking about the intake manifold?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Tom: I believe the # you are quoting is the casting #,which would not appear in the parts manual. I asked the same question about a month ago and no one seemed to be able to identify the #,in my case the second digit seems more like an 8 than a 3. Hope someone will answer you.

Comment

Originally posted by VAG88 View Post
        Tom: I believe the # you are quoting is the casting #,which would not appear in the parts manual. I asked the same question about a month ago and no one seemed to be able to identify the #,in my case the second digit seems more like an 8 than a 3. Hope someone will answer you.
        That being the case, if it's pre-Lark-V8-4bbl and is indeed the intake manifold, then there are only two. One is for the Hawk and the other is for the President/Commander models. The two can be differentiated by the castings for the coil mount which is found on the Hawk manifold. Also,I believe the Hawk manifold has a casting number on the rear that the Pres./Comm. does not. The choke arrangement is different on the Hawk as well.

I do hope this doesn't just add to the confusion.
        Last edited by studeclunker; 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM.
        Ron Smith

Comment

Tom I think you mean it has CASTING NUMBER 535661. (VAG88, There ARE no 585's!)

It is probably PART NUMBER 536303, for '55-'58.

If it has the square bore Carb. pattern it IS for a Carter WCFB and will FIT 1951 to 1964, but if it has no bosses and threaded holes for the coil at the right rear, it is FOR a 1955-1958 or a Truck.

The '59-'62 DO have the Coil mounting provisions.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-03-2010, 09:35 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I should know better that casting numbers are not part numbers.

It is a WCFB intake w/o coil mounts.

I guess there is no way to determine what part number an intake is.

What is interesting is that the stock AFB intake has a different part number than the R1 intake. That is a real mystery to me. 1557834 -v- 1557472 While the R2 intake is the same part number as the stock AFB.

So what's with the R1 intake?

Comment

Originally posted by tomhoo View Post
              I should know better that casting numbers are not part numbers.

It is a WCFB intake w/o coil mounts.

I guess there is no way to determine what part number an intake is.

What is interesting is that the stock AFB intake has a different part number than the R1 intake. That is a real mystery to me. 1557834 -v- 1557472 While the R2 intake is the same part number as the stock AFB.

So what's with the R1 intake?
              The R1 doesn't have the slot cut between the primaries where the R2 and standard manifolds do.

Nick

Comment

Yes Rich, you are quite correct that all the Lark-type manifolds have the coil mounting castings on the manifold. However, in the '56-7 Shop Manual, two 4bbl manifolds are displayed on page 25 of the Gasoline System chapter. One has them, the other doesn't. In the President and Commander, the coil is mounted on the firewall. Also, the manifolds are taller than the Lark-type by several inches. The appearance is very different between the two.

It could very well be that the '56 Golden Hawk's manifold is different due to a completely different motor. Didn't they have the Packard motor in '56?

Anyway, the point I was making is that there are two manifolds displayed for '56. Also, the writing displaying the firing order is reversed from the Pres./Comm. manifold on the Hawk manifold.
                Last edited by studeclunker; 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM.
                Ron Smith

Comment

Would love to see a side-by-side photo of the two intakes.

thnx, jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

This is the best I can do, how's this, Jack?

Attached Files
                    Ron Smith

Comment

All same year Studebakers are created EQUAL Ron!

There is no difference between a Studebaker engined Hawk and a Sedan/Wagon Intake Manifold.

All you are seeing is as you hinted, just a Packard 352, for as the Shop Manual indicates, a '56 GOLDEN HAWK vs a Studebaker 259/289 Manifold.

The old '51 to'58 2 Brl. Manifolds like you would have on your '56 Parkview if it came with the Standard 2 Brl. and not the optional 4 Brl. WOULD be the "HIGH RISE" type that you could easily reach under it when installed, maybe that's what you are remembering.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That Packard manifold looks a lot better than the Studebaker. In fact, it looks a lot more like the Cadillac manifold.

I wonder if the Packard manifold would be easier to fit to the Stude than the Cadillac manifold?

Thanks
                        Tom

Comment

That Packard manifold looks a lot better than the Studebaker. In fact, it looks a lot more like the Cadillac manifold.

I wonder if the Packard manifold would be easier to fit to the Stude than the Cadillac manifold?
                          Not even! The Packard V8 is several inches longer, an inch taller and 2" wider than a Stude V8. That, plus the Packard has the intake head surfaces machined at 90-degrees to the deck.

thnx, jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                          X