Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sway bar bushing and Parts Questions and Rims F.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway bar bushing and Parts Questions and Rims F.S.

Are the bushings for the rear Sway bar the same as the fronts? For the 50' Commander?

And does anyone have a good Napa (or any other place) part number for the valve lifter access gaskets for a commander engine?

And is there any where you can get a kit for rebuilding the knee action shocks? I have been reading about rebuilding them I just haven't seen anywhere to get the parts from.

I also have these 4 rims for sale if you might know of anyone that might need them. Look here Studebaker rims 15" x 4 1/2" Wide $100 OBO?

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
    sigpic
    I'll Tattoo you anytime!
    And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
    Crazy Lady Ink
    Shakopee Mn.
    952-445-3281
    27 years in the tattooing biz

Nineteen and a half hours later and no one has ventured a response?
    Wish I had your answer but, unless no one comes forth, I would contact T-bow. He would know.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Will Do,
      I am surprised no responses as yet.
      Thanks rockne10 for the heads up on t-bow.

Edsel
      sigpic
      I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
      Shakopee Mn.
      952-445-3281

Comment

Hours later the crickets are chirping in the back round still no reply's.
        sigpic
        I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
        Shakopee Mn.
        952-445-3281

Comment

The shocks are rebuildable, yes, but did you know that they are adjustable too? There should be a lock nut on the top with a shaft sticking through....kinda like a auto trans band adjusting set up. Loosen the lock nut and turn the adjustment a little at a time untill you are happy with the ride. ( A little adjustment goes a long ways).
          I don't remember if the rubber bushings are the same front and back.
          If you have a popular 4-wheel drive accessory shop near by, they usually have various size bushings in urethane in stock.
          If you still need to rebuild yours there are vendors listed in hemmings under services.
          I hope this helps
          Last edited by bezhawk; 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

According to my parts book, the bushings that are in the middle of the bars and hold them the the frame, are the same front and rear. Studebaker part number 522518. Hope that gets ya answered.
            Brad
            KD0FRQ

1950 Champion
            1964 Cruiser
            1946 M16

Comment

Yes, this helps a lot. I didn't know the shocks were adjustable. Cool!

I still would like to know a resource for the rebuild of the shocks.

I think I am going to try and replace the bushings on the rear sway bar with the same bushings as the front I just replaced.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
              sigpic
              I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
              Shakopee Mn.
              952-445-3281

Comment

Edsel,
                Can't tell for sure if you're hoping to rebuild the shock yourself or just get them rebuilt somehow. A few companies do rebuild them. Google Apple Hydraulics. And then be shocked at the price!
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I was hoping to give the rebuild a shot myself. from all I have read the parts to rebuild them are about $3 worth of parts. The trick is finding the parts to begin with.

Here is some interesting Information and parts manual.

More here

These guys rebuild the as well. Last I heard they are about $150 each rebuilt and painted and returned. http://www.classicautoshocks.com/index.htm

A bit more information on the subject.
                  sigpic
                  I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                  Shakopee Mn.
                  952-445-3281

Comment

I don't think the 34-35-36 Chevy knee-action shock are anything like the Stude Houdaille shocks.
                    You should give the Thoms brothers at Studebakers West a call. They deal with these cars a lot. May just need to flush the old fluid out and put new fluid in. I've (suprisingly) never seen these shocks discussed much within the club, Turning Wheels, or elsewhere.
                    Also wondered how hard it could be to put telescoping-style shock mounts on our cars and go that route.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

My understanding is that if the shocks don't bind and have a pretty steady resistance though the range of motion they are probably fine. You don't hear much about these because they are really reliable. But they were heavy and REALLY expensive to make. NOS units show up on eBay all the time cheaper than rebuilding. The fluid used in these is no longer to be found but I have heard of hydraulic fluid and ATF both being used. I have no idea what is best there.

Comment

I have heard that the fluid is not available as well but I assume you should drain the remaining amount in the shock be for replacing it with something like jack oil or what ever people have suggested.

Is this correct?
                        sigpic
                        I'll Tattoo you anytime!

Crazy Lady Ink
                        Shakopee Mn.
                        952-445-3281

Comment

Working...
                        X