Gotta give kudos when it is deserved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta give kudos when it is deserved

I tore down a McKinnon 283 out of a 65 Cruiser today. We figured that with 154,000 miles, this thing was worn out. Now the poor old engine did take on some Studebaker characteristics. It had some oil leaks and it was NASTY. The kind of black greasy stuff that won't wash off with a brillo pad.
    Any way, we proceded to tear the engine apart. The insides lookd pretty clean, no rocker arm wear to speak of. Pulled the heads and saw a little carbon on the combustion chambers but not too bad. We flipped the engine around and pulled the oil pan. and front cover. Still had the original timing chain and gears. The oil pump looked good.
    Then we started pulling pistons and rods. One by one, they came out easily and the bearings looked good. We pulled the mains and the bearings looked really good. We checked the crank and it will only need a light polish.
    Now I have torn down many belly button engines with alot less miles on them and they always seemed to look worse.
    I have to give credit to the original owner who must have really kept this car serviced.
    The worst part of this engine is the valve guides which will be replaced and hardened seats installed. There is enough wear in the cylinders to justify boring it .030. ( the more cubes, the better)
    I've only seen one other engine with bearings that looked this good and it was a Studebaker 289. The owner was a CASO and we reused the bearings.
    Now he fun parts starts, cleaning everything!!!
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

I had a pickup truck with an engine like that..
    It had the sloppiest vlave guides I had ever seen, but the valves were fine.
    New guides and a valve and seat resurface....
    And the mains were worn down to the copper, but the crank looked, and mic'd) perfect.
    Slid in a set of standard bearings...
    Total CASO rebuild on that truck engine.....shameful..
    I drove it for three years and sold it to a friend that drove it 6 years after that.
    And he taunted me about it every time he saw me
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My 383 Chrysler is about that way, but we are extremely caso, we said, why spend the money. All we did so far was replace the timing chain, put in a high volume oil pump, and cleaned the valvetrain and valley, we needed a new rear sump oil pan (old one wouldn't clear Nova steering linkage) so we got all the muck out of the engine. All we may do next is get hardened valve seats. This baby runs like a top, check out my video in my signiature.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

The fun starts when? Okay actually I had fun pulling out the engine and watching Jamie take the thing apart. I was elated at the shape the engine is in. I am now starting to clean up the mess in the engine bay, this won't be an easy job, but it is part of the deal. I appreciate the hard work, and patience with me being a real novice, that Jamie has displayed. It really is fun, at least for me.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

"....belly button engines..."???

Comment

Belly button engine aka small block Chevy. (everybody has one) I guess we could call them A$#%ole engines but that might offend someone<G>
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62

Belly button engine aka small block Chevy. (everybody has one) I guess we could call them A$#%ole engines but that might offend someone<G>
              Naw!! What make me <G> is this http://www.hdmaddog.com/1969-80-350-...-p6806434.html.

Try to rebuild your's for that. <G>

Sorry to hijack the thread but me thinks you wanted a response.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                Naw!! What make me <G> is this http://www.hdmaddog.com/1969-80-350-...-p6806434.html.

Try to rebuild your's for that. <G>

Sorry to hijack the thread but me thinks you wanted a response.

Bob
                Shoot, for a Chrysler engine, just a stock cam costs more than that.
                Lizella, GA

Comment

OK- I learned what a belly button engine is, but I have no idea what CASO means! John in Temple City

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                    Belly button engine aka small block Chevy. (everybody has one)
                    AKA King Of ALL Engine Brands

Comment

OK- I learned what a belly button engine is, but I have no idea what CASO means!
                      Cheap Azz Studebaker Owner.
                      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
                        AKA King Of ALL Engine Brands

Don't be too confident on that statement. They may be great, but not the greatest, HEMI's are undoubtedly the kings of all American V8s when built right. Nothin sounds quite like a HEMI whether its a Chrysler 426 or a Ford 429. Chevys have just been around 55 years.
                        Lizella, GA

Comment

Alex, I can be completely confident on that by my definition- which is, dollar for dollar Chevy has been and will always be the king. Don't get me wrong- I love MoPars and Fords too, and had some hot AMCs. But I raced all of them in various classes and combinations over the 30 years I've been doing it, and no one can compete dollar for dollar with a Chevy. I love those Hemis in particular, but never seek them because I can't afford 'em. Chevies? They make comparable power for a fraction of the price.

That's how I define my comment.

I will add, I have no current lust for a Big 3 performance car; BTDT. More interested in the off-beat stuff right now. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment

Of course, I DO have a Kenny Thompson-built 383 Magnum stashed away for just the right car- someday <wink>

Comment

Working...
                          X